Ongoing 2014 Tri-Glide build-out, lots of pics and thoughts on the differences

Re: Ongoing 2014 Tri-Glide build-out, lots of pics and thoughts on the differences

Hi Kevin,

My Parents just bought a 2015 Tri Glide.

we were wondering if you knew of any kits that will raise the passenger floorboards up a little bit? both my parents are relatively short.

thanks

The passenger floorboards have 3 different height positions...I would make sure it was on the highest already...then if you want feet even higher, there are a couple of options-

Rivco- http://www.rivcoproducts.com/products/product.php?productid=498

hdpbla1_6-13altbw.jpg

Kury- http://www.kuryakyn.com/products/1596/adjustable-passenger-pegs

4571-1.jpg

The Kury is what we have used on the last several bikes. Mary really likes them because of the variety of different positions for her feet.

Kevin

Re: Ongoing 2014 Tri-Glide build-out, lots of pics and thoughts on the differences

I just remembered two other things that have happened with the '14 that I've never experienced on previous years-

1. On our Fall Color Trip the bracket for the Cowbell horn broke going down the interstate, just leaving the horn hanging by the wires. I still have not taken it in to see if they are going to cover it under warranty.

Picture Mary took going down the road-

Horn1_zpsab9545df.jpg

Once I pulled over and disconnected the wires-

Horn2_zpsea4c3a42.jpg

2. Both my A & B tripmeters reset themselves to the same number as the odometer...weird, only happened once, and has not happened again. For now just chalking it up to a computer glitch.

Final thing...I think my pan hard rod is going bad on the '14. In the last 500 miles I'm getting a similar vibration in sharp corners that I got on the '11 right before they replaced the pan hard rod on it (under warranty).

Kevin

our horn fell off on the freeway too - was interesting pulling over to the side and trying to shift down while holding it.

replaced under warranty.

thanks for all your posts, I'm looking to replace my '13 with a '15 soon.

our horn fell off on the freeway too - was interesting pulling over to the side and trying to shift down while holding it.

replaced under warranty.

thanks for all your posts, I'm looking to replace my '13 with a '15 soon.

Yeah, that was an interesting experience, for sure, riding to the next off-ramp with the horn dangling.

I still have not gotten in to the dealership for the clutch recall and a few warranty items, the horn being one of them. Probably will get it there in the next week or so.

I think you'll like the 15 even more than you do the 13!

Kevin

Something I just learned. If you rock the bike side to side (not front to back) it will burb and let you put about another 1/2 gallon in. Oddity of the new filler neck.

Kevin
I'm thinking about doing your tank lift. Are you saying because of the new Harley design that I may lose I/2 gal capacity in the tank.
I followed your Alaska ride and think that you only needed to add gas from your can a couple of times. Is that correct.
I also would like to know the manufacture of the gas can and if you had any problems physically or with the law carrying it on the luggage rack.

I'm thinking about doing your tank lift. Are you saying because of the new Harley design that I may lose I/2 gal capacity in the tank.
I followed your Alaska ride and think that you only needed to add gas from your can a couple of times. Is that correct.
I also would like to know the manufacture of the gas can and if you had any problems physically or with the law carrying it on the luggage rack.

There is no difference in capacity because of tank lifts on the new Tri-Glides.

The newer tanks are more difficult to fill all the way up (with or without a tank lift)

Yes, only needed the gas can a couple of times. It is a plastic one that we got at a gas station in Idaho 3 or 4 years ago. I just went and looked at it. It is a Briggs & Stratton "Smart-Fill" brand.

We have been told a few times on the forum that plastic cans are illegal. We never had a single issue with Law Enforcement or at border crossings, never even was mentioned.

No issues with the TP or TP rack holding it. We used bungee cords to hold it in place.

However, when it is full, it is a pain in the butt to open the lid with it on. Takes two people, one to hold it open part way, and the other to dig around in the TP to get whatever was needed. This is why I would only run with it full of gas when I knew/thought there was a chance I would need it. That is why we almost ran out one time...I had checked the Milestone book and it said there were gas stations between where we were and where we were going....but both of them were closed...no gas...and I had not filled the can. lol

Kevin

Kevin Thanks for the information. I wasn't worried that the lifts would reduce the fuel capacity just how Harley now makes the Tanks. My 2011 Trike would only get me about 35 miles MPG if I did not push it much over 65MPH. At 75 MPH I was looking at the upper 20's. I don't know what to expect from the 2015 yet. Obviously concerned about running out of gas in the middle of no here.
I'm looking at various makers of spill proof cans.
Did you often need to add octane booster? Thanks again Joe

Kevin Thanks for the information. I wasn't worried that the lifts would reduce the fuel capacity just how Harley now makes the Tanks. My 2011 Trike would only get me about 35 miles MPG if I did not push it much over 65MPH. At 75 MPH I was looking at the upper 20's. I don't know what to expect from the 2015 yet. Obviously concerned about running out of gas in the middle of no here. I'm looking at various makers of spill proof cans. Did you often need to add octane booster? Thanks again Joe

If I recall correctly, there was only one time when I was not able to get 91 or better octane, maybe twice. I only used one small bottle of octane booster the entire trip.

On the newer tanks, if you rock the TG side to side (not front to back) when you get close to the top while gassing up, you can get an entire 6 gallons in them.

Kevin

My 2014 has almost 7K miles. I get 36-38 mpg pretty consistently riding 2-up (325 lbs).
I only use 93 octane fuel (with ethanol). I never put in Startron unless I am not riding for weeks.
Never used octane booster .... but would consider it if I could only get 87 octane fuel.
BTW Your Harley will verbally tell you when the fuel gets low. :)

Because of the placement of the gas discharge bung .... the tank lift kit has pretty much no effect on usable fuel capacity as Kevin has said.

Harley designed the in-tank filler neck to prevent over-fills. If getting every bit of gas into the tank is really necessary you can remove the tank and have some holes drilled into the neck tube (proper flush and clean afterwards). You now risk over-filling!!!!!

I'd prefer the extra gas can along for the ride in uncertain conditions.

How did I ever get anywhere on my 3 Sportsters. :pepper:

Bob :Dorag:

Look at what's missing in the new shop!

Yep, the Tri-Glide is at the dealership, finally, to get some warranty work and clutch recall done! :)

ShopPic1-9-15_zpsfee72700.jpg

Kevin

Nuttin like getting them fixed under warranty. Best way!

Nuttin like getting them fixed under warranty. Best way!

Yep!

Just heard from them today, they have a bunch of parts on order-

New front brake Master Cylinder
New Left side turn signal control switch (I thought it might be the BCM, but they say it is the switch)
They have not determined if it needs a new panhard rod, or if the existing one just needs to be adjusted & tightened up. (the jam nut on one side was loose from the factory)
New horn bracket
They have the clutch recall kit in stock
New front linkage shift arm- it won't tighten up all the way (and no, I'm not a "stomper")
They already have the hardware for front engine stabilizer

Kevin

Seems like a lot of issues for a new machine?

I have some custom handlebars that the dealer installed for me. They messed up the switch and Master Cylinder in the process.

Top stabilizer, panhard rod, linkage arm, & horn are all factory issues.

Clutch recall a factory issue also.

I have 10k miles on it...on my 11 TG by this mileage they were replacing the entire top end under warranty! So, by comparison, I'm doing better on this one. :)

I do tend to ride hard, so if something is borderline in design or quality, I'll probably be pushing it over to failure. Although I've never had an issue with a stabilizer, linkage arm or horn before.

The pic below is the '11, After the top end rebuild, and me doing things to cool it down. Never had another engine problem after that.

TGWheelie2_zps2ec9ad25.jpg

The TG's get treated well compared to the Sporty...as you can see in the vid below. It's never had any warranty work. Knock on wood!

Kevin

I just got the TG back from the Dealership.

They replaced the horn bracket under warranty.

Did the clutch recall.

Installed new front master cyclinder

Replaced the left side switch...now all my lights work!

Did the front stabilizer with a new spacer. I noticed they did not use factory washers, but used lock washers.

They did not touch the panhard rod, the jam nut is still loose.

The shift linkage arm is still loose. They tried, but said next time I bring it in they will work on it again. Also, they forgot to touch up the frame where there is raw metal showing from the stabilizer bolt knocking around when it fell out.

Really happy to have all my lights again, and that they replaced the horn bracket under warranty.

Kevin

Wow! Time flies.

Been riding and enjoying the TG since I got it back.

Just took it back in for them to fix the shift linkage arm, touch up the frame, and a couple of other things that did not get done last time it was in for warranty work.

I will be picking it back up on the 24th. By that time I should have my one-off "slip-ons" done with the high heat finish (black) and then will install them with some custom end caps.

Here's a pic of the end caps. Not 100% sure why, but I'm pretty excited about getting these on the TG. They're aluminum and still need to be polished.

EndCaps_zpsi4xijr6k.jpg

Kevin

why would they not take care of all the issues the first time the bike was in there? i hear of this kind of service more and more. when i bought my streeglide there was hardly any oil in the transmission.

So the wheelie was just to get some air under it??? I can see that ... :pepper:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

- - - Updated - - -

why would they not take care of all the issues the first time the bike was in there? i hear of this kind of service more and more. when i bought my streeglide there was hardly any oil in the transmission.

When they did the clutch recall, they re-installed it wrong and it was leaking. Dunno why.

They did not fix the shift arm last time....they said they tried...dunno why they called and said it was ready when they knew they did not fix it.

They did not fix the paint...dunno why, it was right on the work order.

I already took care of the panhard rod jam nut that they did not do when it was in last.

They did replace the horn under warranty last time...which I wasn't sure if they would, so that was nice. But after I picked it up, I went to use it, it is defective, sounds like a sick duck. I rarely use the horn, & did not think to test it when I picked it up. Dunno why the "tech" who installed it did not test it.

So, I guess I did not answer your question....cause it makes no sense to me either why they didn't.

Kevin

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom Wallen
Back