Skid plate for Tri Glides

Not sure a skid plate is necessary. The frame rails, on either side of the bottom of the engine and oil tank, are lower than those bottoms.

There is also a good size crossmember (below the engine/tank) that runs across to each frame rail, which sort of is a skid plate in itself.

We've ridden some pretty gnarly roads up in the Yukon and up to the Arctic Circle, and many other crazy places. Never a problem.

Kevin

Not sure a skid plate is necessary. The frame rails, on either side of the bottom of the engine and oil tank, are lower than those bottoms.

There is also a good size crossmember (below the engine/tank) that runs across to each frame rail, which sort of is a skid plate in itself.

We've ridden some pretty gnarly roads up in the Yukon and up to the Arctic Circle, and many other crazy places. Never a problem.

Kevin

I understand what you're saying Kevin! I've got 45 years and hundreds of thousands of miles on and never an issue either UNTIL....we were on the PA turnpike in October in traffic at 70mph and had to try and miss a ratchet strap in my lane with no where to go! I straddled it but one of the hooks cracked my oil pan! May never happen again but I'm going to attempt to fabricate one of I can't find one.

Hell even my old FLHS shovelhead has one!!

I understand what you're saying Kevin! I've got 45 years and hundreds of thousands of miles on and never an issue either UNTIL....we were on the PA turnpike in October in traffic at 70mph and had to try and miss a ratchet strap in my lane with no where to go! I straddled it but one of the hooks cracked my oil pan! May never happen again but I'm going to attempt to fabricate one of I can't find one.

Hell even my old FLHS shovelhead has one!!

Wow, yep, I can see that.

Either a permanent one welded, or somehow affixed to the frame rails. If it is "permanent" would need to leave drain holes.

Interesting idea- Mary's truck has a guard made out of some sort of flexible material. It is held in place with some bolts. It needs to be removed in order to drain the engine oil. Adds 5 minutes to the oil change procedure, but definitely adds some protection. It is a 2018 F150. I think they call them splash guards. While they could be pierced more easily than metal, they definitely would deflect rocks and other road debris.

Pretty sure Ford has that because the oil pan and drain plugs are PLASTIC!

Kevin

Whatever you build, make sure it has plenty of breathing slots for air flow across the pan. Cut that off and you're going to have bocoup problems ..........

I had a skid plate on my 97 softail but can't remember where I got it, had a friend recommend it since he had a rock come on his bike, can't remember if it did damage or not, he didn't say and I didn't ask, just bought it and installed it for peace of mind.

All for now Trampas

P.S. Now you have me thinking of one for my triglide, go figure

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
grimpen
Back