TG license plate frame

Jan 3, 2024
Spring Hill, Fl
IMG_3765.jpg

2020 TG - license plate frame won’t sit flush with the hatch. Take the frame apart, take out the plate then the frame sits fine. Put the plate back in and it kicks it out at the bottom - like in the picture. I’m sort of surprised Harley uses such a cheap plastic, ill-fitting, poorly designed part. Before I take a dremel to it, and grind off some of the plastic inside (and maybe ruining it), wanted to see if there are any other solutions. I’ve looked around for an aftermarket replacement to no avail. It’s not that big a deal, but it is a deal. Thanks in advance. Sorry the picture is sideways.

Welcome to Trike Talk

Are you certain that is a Harley frame? From what I see the bike came with the top piece in chrome but then had a place to put the license plate with 4 holes.

So, while the bracket may lay flat by itself, once you install the rigid plate it will make it push out at the bottom unless you install all the bolts.

Also, from what I see there is a bottom red light - I don't see that on your bike.

VaEcbfU.jpg

Welcome to Trike Talk

Are you certain that is a Harley frame? From what I see the bike came with the top piece in chrome but then had a place to put the license plate with 4 holes.

So, while the bracket may lay flat by itself, once you install the rigid plate it will make it push out at the bottom unless you install all the bolts.

Also, from what I see there is a bottom red light - I don't see that on your bike.

VaEcbfU.jpg

I agree that’s exactly how my stock frame looks.. and that red light is actually not a red light. It’s just a reflector..

Not sure if it’s a stock Harley frame, but it probably is. The frame came with the bike. Lights are on the two sides and not on the bottom like in your picture. Picture to follow in a few days… Thanks.

View attachment 116300

2020 TG - license plate frame won’t sit flush with the hatch. Take the frame apart, take out the plate then the frame sits fine. Put the plate back in and it kicks it out at the bottom - like in the picture. I’m sort of surprised Harley uses such a cheap plastic, ill-fitting, poorly designed part. Before I take a dremel to it, and grind off some of the plastic inside (and maybe ruining it), wanted to see if there are any other solutions. I’ve looked around for an aftermarket replacement to no avail. It’s not that big a deal, but it is a deal. Thanks in advance. Sorry the picture is sideways.

I have the same license plate frame.

That is made by CIRO3D.

Yes, it is made from a chrome plastic surround with an inner metal frame.

it’s actually one of the nicer frames I’ve seen, that’s why I bought one.

Mine sticks out slightly at the bottom but hardly noticeable. It’s good thing otherwise vibration may rub into the paint.

I rotated the pic you posted and then zoomed in to the top.

it is not sitting flush at that upper seam.

you need to take a look why, but that is the cause why it’s sticks out a lot.

- BrettIMG_5899.jpgIMG_5899.jpeg

I have the same license plate frame.

That is made by CIRO3D.

Yes, it is made from a chrome plastic surround with an inner metal frame.

it’s actually one of the nicer frames I’ve seen, that’s why I bought one.

Mine sticks out slightly at the bottom but hardly noticeable. It’s good thing otherwise vibration may rub into the paint.

I rotated the pic you posted and then zoomed in to the top.

it is not sitting flush at that upper seam.

you need to take a look why, but that is the cause why it’s sticks out a lot.

View attachment 116319View attachment 116320

- Brett

Thanks for rotating the picture Brett. The frame does sit flush against the hatch when I take the plate out. Put the plate back in and it’s acting like a shim and kickin the bottom of the frame out - as in the picture. Think I can dremel off some of the plastic on the inside of the frame to lessen the shim. Maybe add some felt stick ons on the back of the plate to protect the hatch paint. Thanks.

Thanks for rotating the picture Brett. The frame does sit flush against the hatch when I take the plate out. Put the plate back in and it’s acting like a shim and kickin the bottom of the frame out - as in the picture. Think I can dremel off some of the plastic on the inside of the frame to lessen the shim. Maybe add some felt stick ons on the back of the plate to protect the hatch paint. Thanks.

What purpose does the chrome plate serve?

What purpose does the chrome plate serve?

The chrome plate that’s kicked out at the bottom in the picture? It’s part of the license plate frame. Also has lights on each side in the frame. Looks pretty good if can get it to seat flush against the hatch with the license plate inside.

Not a problem…. It’s possible the license plate itself may be hitting the frame and obstructing it too.

I have my TG in pieces right now (Getting custom painted) and I have this frame off. I’ll see if I can can take a few pics from the back side if the frame assembly, verses how my plate sits.

I’ll reply back again after I take some pics over this weekend & hope it helps.

-Brett

Not a problem…. It’s possible the license plate itself may be hitting the frame and obstructing it too.

I have my TG in pieces right now (Getting custom painted) and I have this frame off. I’ll see if I can can take a few pics from the back side if the frame assembly, verses how my plate sits.

I’ll reply back again after I take some pics over this weekend & hope it helps.

-Brett

I have to agree with you - the plate is hitting it.

Also, as mentioned, when this is fitting right, consider putting something between the frame to prevent the rubbing.

I just got home and will attach pics below…

here’s a link to the CIRO3D part:

https://ciro3d.com/products/lighted-license-plate-frame-holder-for-tri-glide®

link to the instructions:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0...TED_LICENSE_PLATE_FRAME_FOR_TRI-GLIDE.pdf?943

I think it may be either the license plate bracket 3 screws, and/or the wiring routing behind the plate that might be the cause.

Pics below hopefully helps.

although I’m mechanically inclined, I had a hell of a time trying to “de-pin” the pins from the connectors, so I just cut the wires. (I solder daily, so I’m just fine to resolder/heat shrink back when I reassemble).

also, my last bike had a custom rear fender and License plate frame where I had to modify my license plate. Luckily all of the notches are covered up on my TG.

ANYWHO…. hopefully the links & my pics help!

again, it’s a nice license plate frame (with lights) and I honestly have not seen any other choices that look as nice as this CIRO3D, plus their LEDS have a lifetime warranty.

- Brett

Pics:

IMG_5904.jpgIMG_5905.jpgIMG_5906.jpgIMG_5907.jpg

posting a couple more pics in next thread….

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom Wallen
Back