2016 Freewheeler Clutch plate movement is only .065 thou after bleeding

Hobbieman10

10+ Posts
May 5, 2022
BELLEVUE, NE.
2016 Freewheeler Clutch plate movement is only .065 thou after bleeding

I have just installed some 16" ape's on the wife '16 Freewheeler. They look and feel awesome. After bleeding the hyd. clutch I checked the travel at the clutch plate with a DTI. I am only getting .065 thou reading max. The manual says re-bleed and check again for minimum of .078 thou. Bleeding them is fine, no air bubbles, good lever pressure/feel. And I even took it around the parking lot (Left the stupid Derby cover off. Don't say anything I know) needed a primary fluid change anyways. Well it actually ran good. Shifted fine etc.

So, could the clutch just be worn enough to cause the .013 thou difference? Bike only has 14K, but it is new to us at about 12K. Any help would be apricated.

Your clutch should not be that worn with that low of mileage

I have never liked a hydraulic clutch with no way to adjust the free travel

you might want to check on this improved slave cylinder

https://www.fuelmotousa.com/i-23898858-rekluse-clutch-slave-cylinder-h-d-milwaukee-8.html

Thanks for the reply. Yeah the recluse is for ‘17 on. Wife’s is a ‘16. I agree that it shouldn’t be the plates wearing but don’t know the prior owner and their riding style. Slipping the clutch all the time etc. it does work with the usual clunk into first. But shifting after that works fine up and down. It didn’t cheap or slip. But, I might try a different way, more solid, way to mount my DTI. But, for now I think it will be change the primary fluid button it up and let her ride.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Delverc
Back