vtx 1800 5th gear power

Went back to the ROADSMITH installer and they had me check the gearing (count of one wheel turn gave be about 3.5 drive shaft revolutions 3.55 seems to be what RoadSmith has determined to be the best ratio through trial and error during design).

I took it back out on a test drive with a GPS to check the speedo and the speedo read about 5 mph slower than the GPS {in 1st 3000 rpm gave me 24 mph, 2nd 3000 rpm gave me 35 mph, 3rd 3000 rpm gave me 45 mph, 4th 3000 rpm gave me 54 mph and 5th 3000 rpm gave me 64 mph.} So guess the combination of smaller wheels 18" to 16" and final drive 3.09 to 3.55 plus the 5 mph speedo error puts me in a safe zone for cursing on the highway (couldn't get to a highway to check out 70 mph, will try this weekend); definitely lost some top end, but never go much over 75 anyway.

Looks like I just lacked experience/ the new feel of a trike and the fact that the VTX F model isn't a good trike candidate, due to the compromising of some Honda design parameters.

I do experience the "shudder" (shakes the hell out of the handle bars) below about 2500 rpm that goes away above 3000 rpm. May try a heavier duty clutch, I think I read somewhere on the posts that some of the shudder may be from the extra weight and the clutch not engaging smoothly, anyone have any experience here?

Definitely need the 6% rake kit as the trike wobbles at slow speeds, below 30-45 mph, then steadies out and drive smoothly above that.

I used to get the vibration in my handle bars (VTX 1300R) as well but adding the 6 degree rake kit from VTXTreme has taken the low speed wobble and just about all vibration out of the equation. Smokin Joe turned me on to VTXTreme. Nice guy (Daryl Hokensburg) owns the shop and he does nice work and will hold your hand or your installers hand throughout the install process. Check em out.

Went back to the ROADSMITH installer and they had me check the gearing (count of one wheel turn gave be about 3.5 drive shaft revolutions 3.55 seems to be what RoadSmith has determined to be the best ratio through trial and error during design).

I took it back out on a test drive with a GPS to check the speedo and the speedo read about 5 mph slower than the GPS {in 1st 3000 rpm gave me 24 mph, 2nd 3000 rpm gave me 35 mph, 3rd 3000 rpm gave me 45 mph, 4th 3000 rpm gave me 54 mph and 5th 3000 rpm gave me 64 mph.} So guess the combination of smaller wheels 18" to 16" and final drive 3.09 to 3.55 plus the 5 mph speedo error puts me in a safe zone for cursing on the highway (couldn't get to a highway to check out 70 mph, will try this weekend); definitely lost some top end, but never go much over 75 anyway.

Looks like I just lacked experience/ the new feel of a trike and the fact that the VTX F model isn't a good trike candidate, due to the compromising of some Honda design parameters.

I do experience the "shudder" (shakes the hell out of the handle bars) below about 2500 rpm that goes away above 3000 rpm. May try a heavier duty clutch, I think I read somewhere on the posts that some of the shudder may be from the extra weight and the clutch not engaging smoothly, anyone have any experience here?

Definitely need the 6% rake kit as the trike wobbles at slow speeds, below 30-45 mph, then steadies out and drive smoothly above that.

Check out the sponser Adventure MotorSports of this forum for your rake. Kit. Bazooka will set you up.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flyboy7312
Back