Think this will help....

rhino 2

100000 + Posts
Gold Member
Oct 15, 2011
Utopia New Jersey USA..
I've thinking about this for years... And it would always go over like a lead balloon.. And after reading 'This is what a Soldier does....

This will help this county...

Re-Enstate the draft, Without any Deferments.. If a person needs really does need a deferment 'then they have to work in public service.. For the same two years as the non-defered and at the same pay rate as a the non-defered.. ,

'''Artificial Sacrifice is Good for the Soul''.... Quoting' FDR...

Sorry, but I totally disagree. When drafted the military ends up with many who don't want to be there and will never give 100% which directly affects the abilities of the entire group they belong to. Except in extreme circumstances would I ever want to see the draft reinstated as long as we have volunteers to meet the needs.

Just having bodies does not a great military make.

Having been a recipient of the "Greetings, Your friends and neighbors have chosen you to defend your country with pride and honor ..." Mailgram, I wasn't the least bit hesitant to serve, but, I also knew that if I became a Marine, my father a 30 year sailor, would of disowned me. I joined the Navy and brought my induction notice to the recruiter. I joined with the intent of doing 2o years, 30 if I really liked it. :D

Many countries around the globe require their citizens to serve in their respective military's.
I agree w/you rhino 2 that everyone should serve their country, one way or another.
There are good arguments that support the fact that not everyone is fit, mentally or physically, to serve in a military capacity.
That's where other government organizations come into play ie; Peace Corps, etc.
Having served one's country gives one a sense of pride & ownership to some degree, and goes a long way in creating great citizens who in turn make great neighbors & friends.
Most of the country's veterans are good folks however, there are some who do not deserve to breath the same air as the rest of us. Witness the perps who created the Dallas & now Baton Rouge Ambush Massacres.
HOPEFULLY these two recent incidents of terror are exceptions and not some horrific trend that continues on unabated...

I have to agree with Rhino and Pete regarding reinstating the draft during times of hardship. I think Pete's right about developing a sense of 'ownership', too. At the age of 67 I'd still fight for my country and the ideals it stands for especially against the the negative ideals that have come about in the last several years!

The only problem we'd have with starting a draft today is so many of the boys have been feminized over the last 20 years and the ones that haven't been are in TERRIBLE physical condition.

While their thumb muscles are top notch, will they be the ones that can mentally handle the technical weapons of the future on the battle field? Can they be trained out of their feminine ways to be the killing machines they need to be? Have we entered a 'Catch-22'

PC

I have to agree with Rhino and Pete regarding reinstating the draft during times of hardship. I think Pete's right about developing a sense of 'ownership', too. At the age of 67 I'd still fight for my country and the ideals it stands for especially against the the negative ideals that have come about in the last several years!

The only problem we'd have with starting a draft today is so many of the boys have been feminized over the last 20 years and the ones that haven't been are in TERRIBLE physical condition.

While their thumb muscles are top notch, will they be the ones that can mentally handle the technical weapons of the future on the battle field? Can they be trained out of their feminine ways to be the killing machines they need to be? Have we entered a 'Catch-22'

PC

Very important point. Times and men have changed; and I'm not so sure for the better as a general statement. Keep in mind the military should have only two items on their agenda; kill the enemy and break things. They are not social service organizations. That's for others to do. It ain't pretty and it ain't clean. But that's the job.

I think the part where i said .... If someone really needs a deferment then they should serve some kind of mandatory public service... Was over looked by some....Or i wasn't very clear,' And In that case then' [As always] I'm only responsible for what i was thinking i was saying.. And not for what someone else was thinking i was saying.. :)

Sorry, but I totally disagree. When drafted the military ends up with many who don't want to be there and will never give 100% which directly affects the abilities of the entire group they belong to. Except in extreme circumstances would I ever want to see the draft reinstated as long as we have volunteers to meet the needs.

Just having bodies does not a great military make.
\

I consider that a "putdown" to the veterans, how about WW2 for a good example, I bet a great
number of them did not want to be there. Just like raw clay, you whip them into a fighting force.

I agree with everyone should serve their country..Too many look for others to do it while they sit at home and live selfish lives. At a party recently I mentioned I served in Vietnam, my father WWII, my oldest son was in Desert Storm, middle son Afganistan, youngest Iraq. The host replied I am sorry my son's got degree's instead of wasting their time. Too many feel that way now kind of sad to take freedom for granted. Just my 2 cents.

I agree with everyone should serve their country..Too many look for others to do it while they sit at home and live selfish lives. At a party recently I mentioned I served in Vietnam, my father WWII, my oldest son was in Desert Storm, middle son Afganistan, youngest Iraq. The host replied I am sorry my son's got degree's instead of wasting their time. Too many feel that way now kind of sad to take freedom for granted. Just my 2 cents.

I agree Israel has the right idea. Furthermore, if you train an 18 year old to be a soldier then if you need him down the road 10 or 20 years later, retraining is much cheaper and easier to do.

I think every young man should serve his country. If nothing else he will learn respect and how to get along with others. The kids we have coming up have no respect for the country or any thing else. Put 30-40 in one room for nine weeks while they learn to respect superiors and work as a team and you will have a much better bunch of men. They learn that they must answer for their wrongs and not blame it on someone else.

I think every young man should serve his country. If nothing else he will learn respect and how to get along with others. The kids we have coming up have no respect for the country or any thing else. Put 30-40 in one room for nine weeks while they learn to respect superiors and work as a team and you will have a much better bunch of men. They learn that they must answer for their wrongs and not blame it on someone else.

Add women to that and I'd agree ... some of the best sailors I served with were women ... and lets face it ... in this day and age ... what's good for the goose is good for "mother goose".

People forget or don't want to put the time in for the benefits. My youngest got all his collage including two years medical at San Diego State. Paid everything including housing and food got his degree and a job at the VA hospital. He still serves in the guard. Great benefits every soldier can use. Kids wouldn't have to be asking for forgiveness of student loan debt.

I say NO Not only would it cost to much. The gub'ment ( at least in my lifetime) has been to careless with our military waging wars based on lies that have killed, maimed, & destroyed to many families here in the U.S.

I believe it should remain a choice if you want to be involved.

I think you will find that the US has an 8 year "obligation" for all citizens. Although this is not conscripted (at present), registration is still required and this obligation can become conscripted in an emergency.

So .. to say it should be a choice to "get involved" is fallacy. Every citizen has the "Obligation" ... it's at the decision of the government as to weather they enforce it or not. At least until that obligation is removed from the books entirely, not something I force anytime soon. Just my $0.02.

I say NO Not only would it cost to much. The gub'ment ( at least in my lifetime) has been to careless with our military waging wars based on lies that have killed, maimed, & destroyed to many families here in the U.S.

I believe it should remain a choice if you want to be involved.

:Agree:

Not only would it be an exorbitant cost, it simply wouldn't work. I also believe, dependent on the needs of the USA, we should maintain a volunteer military. Complete conscription may work well for Israel (pop. 8 mil) under a constant threat, but the USA has a population of 319 million and growing at a much faster rate. Throughout history our freedom has always been maintained by the few patriots with the character that is necessary for it to operate with the ultimate efficiency possible. Life has never been fair in any aspect and we need to stop with the attitude that it ever can be. We are screwing over this country trying to develop a perfection that is impossible. This is from the perspective of a 1968 draftee and the reason we have our 2nd Amendment. "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

The one thing that really pissed me off was when we had draftees run to Canada and England and else where. After the so called "war" the government said, "oh, forget it come on home". That was when I said, if this country ever has a "so called war" I would help my son to go to Canada, England or Germany rather than fight for the slobs in Washington, DC. Maybe one day when we put troops in harms way the Government will tell them to win it.

The one thing that really pissed me off was when we had draftees run to Canada and England and else where. After the so called "war" the government said, "oh, forget it come on home". That was when I said, if this country ever has a "so called war" I would help my son to go to Canada, England or Germany rather than fight for the slobs in Washington, DC. Maybe one day when we put troops in harms way the Government will tell them to win it.

The slobs in Washington DC, Only know how to start wars...... Not how to win them'''
I was drafted in 65... And the only reason i didn't run to Canada, Is because i don't speak their language.;) I remember back in 66' The Slobs in DC Renamed our Search and Destroy missions To...
Seek and Find...Thought they were also going to issue us rubber bullets....;)

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
grimpen
Back