New member seeking help

Jun 10, 2024
Dripping Springs, TX
Name
Lewis
Hey y'all,
I have an ECM issue with my Harley FLRT. It's got around 78,000 miles and has recently started showing the oil light while riding. It has gotten progressively worse to the point of hardly running enough to pull back into the shop this morning.

I've reset it several times, and even repaired a broken wire from the oil pressure switch and replaced the oil pressure sensor. Still have the light come on when starting. The cruise control light also comes on intermittently when I turn on the key. Today I tried to ride it and the light came on along with the cruise control one and it almost wouldn't run after resetting the ECM. About to scratch a bald spot in my head trying to figure this one out..
Help an old man fix his scoot will ya?

SaveShare

Reset ECM: Do you mean disconnecting the battery then reconnecting? ECM's rarely go bad. The last thing on the decision tree a Tech will do is replace the ECM/BCM.But sometimes it's the first if there are several bikes that he's worked on that exhibit the same problem. He'll just go to parts and get a new one...

a luxury we don't have. If you don't already have them, the service manual(s) and electrical diagnostic manual are needed. In lieu of Digital Technition, a DVOM with back probes will work. HD got a bad batch of oil pressure sensor/ switches so just cause it's new doesn't mean it's good. Dont rule out the LH switch pack. You need to know your oil pressure and if it's not within spec at cold, hot idle and highway then further investigation is needed. But I would suspect that switch pack.

Reset ECM: Do you mean disconnecting the battery then reconnecting? ECM's rarely go bad. The last thing on the decision tree a Tech will do is replace the ECM/BCM.But sometimes it's the first if there are several bikes that he's worked on that exhibit the same problem. He'll just go to parts and get a new one...a
luxury we don't have. If you don't already have them, the service manual(s) and electrical diagnostic manual are needed. In lieu of Digital Technition, a DVOM with back probes will work. HD got a bad batch of oil pressure sensor/ switches so just cause it's new doesn't mean it's good. Dont rule out the LH switch pack. You need to know your oil pressure and if it's not within spec at cold, hot idle and highway then further investigation is needed. But I would suspect that switch pack.
Thanks for the quick reply Road Dog. There's a method to reset by turning on then off the ignition three times which worked temporarily. It got progressively worse very recently and I've done all I know how. Manuals and schematics helped to eliminate shorts and make sure of continuity, but still have a gremlin in there somewhere. Ended up haulin it over to my main man to let him see what he can find.

He's younger and has much more experience than I do having paid his dues with HD for about 10 years, especially on these "new" ones, so we'll see. I am used to carbs and no computer ECM/BCM O2 sensors and stuff. I'll post the results afterwards in case someone else has the same issue. First time in 15 years I've had to take a motor to a shop, almost embarrassed but not too proud to admit I don't know everything contrary to what I hear from my spouse. Take care man.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNT
Back