Help Identifying Parts on Trike

May 16, 2024
Indiana
I am currently trying to learn all I can about this trike, and was wondering if anyone could help me identify what these parts came off of (yes, garage/barn is a mess, but working on it).

First is the fork...What kind of Harley is this from? Got a clue from the 100th anniversary badge, but that could have been added on also.

20240518_225945 resize.jpg

20240518_230007 rs.jpg

Next is the tank...speedometer housing looks kinda old, with no large switch:

20240518_225959 rs.jpg

Finally, the clutch slave cylinder...is this a Harley part or VW?

20240518_230031 rs.jpg

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jim

Last edited:
Hi Jim, The master cylinder looks like an aftermarket one used on dune buggies. I have two on my trike, one for the clutch and one for the rear brakes. I forget the brand but on mine the bore size is marked on the side.

Thanks! That has a very short throw, and the foot pedal is pretty narrow and hard to work with my foot...tends to slip off (I'm only about 5'7").

20240520_000806_copy_600x800.jpg
Any ideas on a better foot pedal, like a flat plate, or possibly a rubber pad that would fit over the rod? Would make it much easier to use. Edit: I did see some flat pedals, with rubber pads on them. Need one that bolts on like the current one...or possibly like the brake pedal on the other side...just need some surface area and grip.

Thanks,
Jim

Last edited:
Welcome to the world of VW trikes where you will learn all types of engineering and fabrication skills. The vast majority of VW trikes are one-offs built by an individual to their own design parameters. Pedal looks like its round. Possibly put a bicycle handlebar grip over metal or some rubber heater hose with a couple of screws on the bottom to keep it from rotating.

Welcome to the world of VW trikes where you will learn all types of engineering and fabrication skills. The vast majority of VW trikes are one-offs built by an individual to their own design parameters. Pedal looks like its round. Possibly put a bicycle handlebar grip over metal or some rubber heater hose with a couple of screws on the bottom to keep it from rotating.
Yes, it's a 1" round bar. Found something that might work if it had a larger i.d.

Screenshot_20240523-120716_DuckDuckGo.jpg
Will look some more to find something that fits. Possibly could glue it on.

This will be a fun project with all the little things to fix and upgrade. Will be fun when it's done!

LTRuf, I like that...Will look for something like that.

VWBug, yeah, this was definitely built to someone's specs...they must have been pretty tall. Everything is a bit further out, harder to reach, like the ape hangers...Got to find a set about 18", maybe with a turn down, so it will be easier to control the steering during a turn. It's kind of a stretch to keep hold of the handlebar.
Nice thing about this trike...I'll be able to customize it to my specs.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eddienorman
Back