Knee Replacement Surgery.

Hang in there Chief... Rehab will give you something to do this winter....then you’ll be ready for spring and summer riding....then the Hill Country meet and greet fandango next October, complete with Texas BBQ and Black Forest Cheesecake...and I KNOW you don’t want to miss that again! :pepper:

He's Back ... but tired ... LOL

Okay, so surgery went really well and I was on schedule to go home the 15th. Then the issue of steps came up. Because my left knee is almost as bad as the right, I was unable to get up steps. Since my house has 3 steps getting in, I was advised to go to CLC (Community Living Center, Transitional Care/Terminal Care). The fear was if my house caught fire, I couldn't get out.

I agreed, but there was a weird catch. Federal law requires a 7 night stay once you check in. I didn't bring my computer since I was gonna be there for only 2 nights. Of course, I passed the steps Monday the 20th, but needed to stay in the CLC until this morning.

I did get to go Home yesterday for 6 hours for turkey day.

I'm doing well with minimal soreness. I have a machine that wraps around my knee and pumps cold water around the knee. Really good at keeping the inflammation at a minimum. I'm walking about 45-60 minutes twice a day and doing exercises regularly. I am tentatively schedule for the second knee mid February.

Okay, so some observations about the VA CLC. I was the only "rehab" patient there. Other than getting my pressure socks on in the morning and off in the evening, I needed no help. Physical Therapy did come and get me daily and Occupational Therapy did likewise. I walked to chow, took sitting showers and got dressed, all by my self (except the pressure socks). So ... I had some time to observe. Here's what I gleaned from my stay. I'm making an assumption all VA's are like mine.

1) Our VETS are in good hands. The staff at CLC from the head doctor to the janitor all acted like a family. They worked together to serve the patients.

2) This family of staff, all treat the VETS like THEIR family. They always had smiles on their faces and really seemed to enjoy taking care of the VETS.

3) The social Calendar for these guys is pretty full. There are loads of volunteers (Elks, VFW, etc.) who take these guys on outings. I was told to go bowling with them. This gave me an opportunity to navigate the real world with my walker. On this particular outing, the Elks provided one volunteer per VET and paid for the bowling. Each volunteer brought the ball to the ramp and the VET would push it down. We did four games.

4) The chow hall serves as a social spot. Being there, allowed lots of interaction with your neighbors. I gotta admit, I'm gonna miss those guys. I plan to pop down and visit weekly after my therapy sessions. And I may have to go again in February, but I don't think so. I'll have a decent knee to stand on ... LOL

5) I plan on getting the group I ride with to bring their rides to the CLC as kind of a bike show. I think they would enjoy that. Maybe do a BBQ or something.

Anyway, I'm doing well, although I tire easily. So much so that, I fall asleep at almost the drop of a hat. The doc said I took longer than they thought I should of to get clear of the anesthesia and that accounts for the tiredness. It gets better everyday, so hopefully, soon I'll be able to get back to my argues duties as a moderator. :D

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers.

Alan

Hang in there Chief... Rehab will give you something to do this winter....then you’ll be ready for spring and summer riding....then the Hill Country meet and greet fandango next October, complete with Texas BBQ and Black Forest Cheesecake...and I KNOW you don’t want to miss that again! :pepper:

I think Randall was the only one who missed the cheesecake.. Darn............................Devil made me do it............again.:Wrong:

Glad to see you back Fuzzy!!! It is good to hear you are doing well healing up!!!

And it is good to hear your report on the VA taking good care of everyone there.

I am sure the veterans that are patients there would love to see you and your riding buddies show up on your rides. We do a ride (the God Bless America Ride) every year to the Martinsburg VA. The vets love to see all the motorcycles ride in that day.

Let me see if I have this right Alan you go to the rehab. center for help and get it... great to hear the facility is a great one for our Vets. Now you plan to go back and give back time and share with your new found friends the joy of riding and sharing. Fuzz we really didn't expect anything less from you and your buddies. God bless all of you. :good: ride safe Fred

Let me see if I have this right Alan you go to the rehab. center for help and get it... great to hear the facility is a great one for our Vets. Now you plan to go back and give back time and share with your new found friends the joy of riding and sharing. Fuzz we really didn't expect anything less from you and your buddies. God bless all of you. :good: ride safe Fred

What can I say .. I love to serve. :blush:

And i gotta say ... I love busting the lights ... LOL.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Delverc
Back