20w-60 oil for summer

I use HD 20/50 Syndetic all year..... 10% to 100% When fully warmed up and at an idle oil pressure is at 5, at speed 32.... Cold at start 60... Where do you want it to be....:Shrug: [And why]

I use HD 20/50 Syndetic all year..... 10% to 100% When fully warmed up and at an idle oil pressure is at 5, at speed 32.... Cold at start 60... Where do you want it to be....:Shrug: [And why]

+1. As long as you got oil pres your good to go. All ya need is there. :clapping:

20w-60w oil for summer

Mine runs about the same using M1 20w50 v-twin. Someone on one of the HD forums that lived in the desert southwest was using 20w-60 for the high summer temps. I was just curious if there was anyone in the HD Trike forum using 20w-60 oil and saw any benefits to using the heavier oil in trikes.

Mine runs about the same using M1 20w50 v-twin. Someone on one of the HD forums that lived in the desert southwest was using 20w-60 for the high summer temps. I was just curious if there was anyone in the HD Trike forum using 20w-60 oil and saw any benefits to using the heavier oil in trikes.

I don't see how much difference 60 over 50 would make... As long as your using Syndetic oil with both weights.....Guess it can't hurt....:Shrug:
Screwball is a desert rider, He could help you more...

It is actually more important to have oil at all the critical areas as fast as you can when starting the engine. The multi weight oil is supposed to give you that 20# performance at cold, but there isn't any reason to even think about the 60# portion of the oil unless you happen to be running way over 100*+ air temps all day everyday.
The 20w60 is mostly additives anyway & not 60# oil.
Watch your oil temp, & stay away from 300* temps that Harley says are normal.

It is actually more important to have oil at all the critical areas as fast as you can when starting the engine. The multi weight oil is supposed to give you that 20# performance at cold, but there isn't any reason to even think about the 60# portion of the oil unless you happen to be running way over 100*+ air temps all day everyday.
The 20w60 is mostly additives anyway & not 60# oil.
Watch your oil temp, & stay away from 300* temps that Harley says are normal.
This post sound extremely logical. He may just be running in 100*+ temps though as he appears he lives in central Texas.

And just like he says, 300* temps should never be the norm. Do everything you can to keep your engine cool. Fans, add an oil cooler, etc. Unless you own a '13 or below TG, then you already have an oil cooler.:Shrug:

If you're running synthetic, the 20W60 sounds right for extreme Summer temps.

Running dino here on the Harley and when the temps get to be 90*+ I go with straight 50W in the oil bag, 20W50 year round in the primary.

Low oil pressure at idle is normal for your Harley. You can raise the oil pressure some if you want to by adjusting the idle speed. For example, if idle speed spec is 1000 rpm + or - 50 rpm, I'd run it on the high side being 1050 rpm.

Keep one thing in mind Choppergerry, you do want your oil to get hot enough to dehydrate it also. As long as you're moving the engine's being cooled. Do you do a lot of in-town driving? That's what I hate. Ya move a short distance and stop for another lite! Are you running synthetic oil? It is much more tolerant of high temperatures. BTW, your oil pump is a positive displacement pump. As long as your engine's running it's pumping some oil. The question is is there enough pressure to get the oil up to your top end. That's why others are suggesting you could raise your idle RPM slightly. You might be surprised how little oil it actually takes to lubricate something like a rocker arm.

PC

The subject of oil is discussed probably more than any other subject, and there are a lot of opinions and thoughts, but this is what your owners manual says-

OilChart09Sportster_zpsf576b6b3.jpg

Over 60*, straight 50 weight

Over 80*, straight 60 weight

The above is recommended...it is best.

No, 20-50 is not the same, or as good as straight 50 in warmer temps, and 20-60 is not the same or as good as straight 60 in 80*+ temps.

That said, you are not going to blow up your engine running 20-50 or 20-60, you are just not being as nice to it.

Besides the heavier (straight) oil lubricating better in temps over 60*, you engine will run quieter also, and you will have less blow-by.

Kevin

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Delverc
Back