2014 Tri Glide DK Customs Oil Filter Relocation Kit

14TG

80+ Posts
Dec 24, 2023
New Castle, PA, USA
I’m looking at the DK Customs “Cool-n-Clean” (CnC) Oil filter relocation kit for my 2014 Tri Glide.

Although it is more noticeable and many may not like it, personally I like the idea & the looks are fine to me. (Again personal preferences… and I really like the convenience of oil changes and the slight benefit of lower oil temp too).

Hopefully Kevin will chime in…. But in the mean time I do have a few questions:

- Does anyone have this kit and not like it? (Any “cons” since having it on your trike)?

- The one pic (which I’ll attach) from the website shows stainless braided lines and shows “hard lines” and fittings right to the oil filter adapter. Is this how the stainless braided lines come in the kit?

- Is it better to just run the black rubber oil lines to the brass elbows shown in other pics on the website?

- I have the DK Customs Passenger peg relocation kit on the trike… is this compatible?

- Will the stainless braided lines outlast the non braided black rubber lines?

- Last question: I have the Trike “Mid Step” on my trike. Any issues with compatibility of the mid step? (I just see a routing adjustment, but would like to verify).

Thanks in advance,

- Brett

IMG_6782.jpegIMG_6783.jpeg

I have this kit and it is the only way to go on a Harley trike. No more mess when changing the oil, I am running the braided lines. This is just for any chaffing issues.

I have this kit and it is the only way to go on a Harley trike. No more mess when changing the oil, I am running the braided lines. This is just for any chaffing issues.

Nice to hear! Is it the stainless braided lines?

do they have hard direct connectors to the adapter? Or are you using hose clamps?

I’m looking at the DK Customs “Cool-n-Clean” (CnC) Oil filter relocation kit for my 2014 Tri Glide.

Although it is more noticeable and many may not like it, personally I like the idea & the looks are fine to me. (Again personal preferences… and I really like the convenience of oil changes and the slight benefit of lower oil temp too).

Hopefully Kevin will chime in…. But in the mean time I do have a few questions:

- Does anyone have this kit and not like it? (Any “cons” since having it on your trike)?

- The one pic (which I’ll attach) from the website shows stainless braided lines and shows “hard lines” and fittings right to the oil filter adapter. Is this how the stainless braided lines come in the kit?

- Is it better to just run the black rubber oil lines to the brass elbows shown in other pics on the website?

- I have the DK Customs Passenger peg relocation kit on the trike… is this compatible?

- Will the stainless braided lines outlast the non braided black rubber lines?

- Last question: I have the Trike “Mid Step” on my trike. Any issues with compatibility of the mid step? (I just see a routing adjustment, but would like to verify).

Thanks in advance,

- Brett

View attachment 116890View attachment 116891

Hi Brett,

The only "downside" that I have ever heard mentioned (and 98% of the time it is from someone that does not have one) is they are concerned about the oil lines getting damaged and leaking. This is no more an issue with this than with OEM oil coolers. We do recommend inspecting the lines at every oil change for any damage or wear marks.

Oh, the other concern that folks have mentioned is they wonder if it will affect oil pressure. It does not.

The "hard lines" do not come with the kit. Some folks get the lines and fittings from a place like Summit Racing and use them. It is not necessary, but it is a nicer look in some folks eyes, and it also alleviates concerns of damage to the lines. It is also rather expensive, and since it is not necessary for effective or safe functioning, we do not offer them as an option. But it is certainly something that can be done.

Stainless has a nice look, but anything it touches will get scratched....so if you want that look, just be aware that routing of the lines must be done carefully to avoid scratching.

The stainless braid and the black fiber braid will last longer than the rubber hose inside the braid...so, with that in mind, the stainless will not outlast the black fiber braid.

The hose, depending on use and weather, should last 5-10 years before the rubber starts getting some age and should be changed out, similar to tires.

The brass fittings are now nickel plated, not brass colored anymore.

I've run the plain rubber, black braided and Stainless braided on various bikes. I will not run the stainless braided on my bikes...to easy to scratch something. My last plain rubber hoses lasted somewhere around 45K miles and around 8 years before I started seeing just a tiny bit of fatigue in the hoses and so I changed it out.

The kit is compatible with that Adjustable Passenger Footpegs and the Mid-step. I have both of those on mine, as pictured in the video below.

Always feel free to email or call us with any questions. Contact info below.

Thank you for looking at our parts. I believe you will be well pleased with this kit.

Hi Brett,

The only "downside" that I have ever heard mentioned (and 98% of the time it is from someone that does not have one) is they are concerned about the oil lines getting damaged and leaking. This is no more an issue with this than with OEM oil coolers. We do recommend inspecting the lines at every oil change for any damage or wear marks.

Oh, the other concern that folks have mentioned is they wonder if it will affect oil pressure. It does not.

The "hard lines" do not come with the kit. Some folks get the lines and fittings from a place like Summit Racing and use them. It is not necessary, but it is a nicer look in some folks eyes, and it also alleviates concerns of damage to the lines. It is also rather expensive, and since it is not necessary for effective or safe functioning, we do not offer them as an option. But it is certainly something that can be done.

Stainless has a nice look, but anything it touches will get scratched....so if you want that look, just be aware that routing of the lines must be done carefully to avoid scratching.

The stainless braid and the black fiber braid will last longer than the rubber hose inside the braid...so, with that in mind, the stainless will not outlast the black fiber braid.

The hose, depending on use and weather, should last 5-10 years before the rubber starts getting some age and should be changed out, similar to tires.

The brass fittings are now nickel plated, not brass colored anymore.

I've run the plain rubber, black braided and Stainless braided on various bikes. I will not run the stainless braided on my bikes...to easy to scratch something. My last plain rubber hoses lasted somewhere around 45K miles and around 8 years before I started seeing just a tiny bit of fatigue in the hoses and so I changed it out.

The kit is compatible with that Adjustable Passenger Footpegs and the Mid-step. I have both of those on mine, as pictured in the video below.

Always feel free to email or call us with any questions. Contact info below.

Thank you for looking at our parts. I believe you will be well pleased with this kit.

Hi Kevin,

Thank you for answering all the questions I had, I appreciate it.

I’ll personally stay with just the black basic rubber oil lines. (I do like the idea of the “hard fitted” ends, but can always invest in a custom set later on).

So far, I have purchased the Tour Pack relocation kit, both the Rider & passenger floorboard relocation kit & the External breather kit… and not to sound like an”fan boy”, but DK Customs does make some very nice products.

Again, thanks for answering my questions and I will be definitely getting a relocation kit in the very near future.

Thanks!

- Brett

Hi Kevin,

Thank you for answering all the questions I had, I appreciate it.

I’ll personally stay with just the black basic rubber oil lines. (I do like the idea of the “hard fitted” ends, but can always invest in a custom set later on).

So far, I have purchased the Tour Pack relocation kit, both the Rider & passenger floorboard relocation kit & the External breather kit… and not to sound like an”fan boy”, but DK Customs does make some very nice products.

Again, thanks for answering my questions and I will be definitely getting a relocation kit in the very near future.

Thanks!

- Brett

Thank you for the kind words, and we appreciate your business.

Great to hear you are enjoying the benefit of those parts. :)

I believe you will be well pleased with the oil filter relo.

Kevin

Thank you for the kind words, and we appreciate your business.

Great to hear you are enjoying the benefit of those parts. :)

I believe you will be well pleased with the oil filter relo.

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

I just received it today.

I was going to wait until later in the year, but since it’s all apart now (parts are in paint) and I’m upgrading other parts too… now was the time to get it and install it.

It’s now added to the “to do” list this weekend.

Thank you!

IMG_6929.jpgIMG_6930.jpg

I know DK customs has a video or two on the oil filter relocation kit (and also an oil cooler) but since I just received my kit, I decided to also do an install video as well, and add it to my YouTube channel.

Since there are not too many videos on our trikes on accessories, modifications and technical tips, it surely won’t hurt with another one! Lol!

This video is showing the kit that I recently received and I did some splices of videos over the course of a couple days since I had other projects going on.

(Sorry for some repetitive words or info in the video… I didn’t feel like editing any of it out as it should be helpful to anyone interested or on the fence to get this kit).

This is really a very nice kit and highly recommend it! (Some have mentioned that they do not like the look of it being there… personally, I don’t mind the look whatsoever and the added benefits and oil change convenience is a plus)!

Note: Many members on here are also members on the HD Forum, but some are not….So I will copy/paste this post on there too. Hope the info helps!!!

Here’s the video “Linky”:

https://youtu.be/jPLc-tzU6Yg?si=ptR1YKRzFQH3ZEqG

DK Customs…. Thanks again for a great product!!

- Brett

I know DK customs has a video or two on the oil filter relocation kit (and also an oil cooler) but since I just received my kit, I decided to also do an install video as well, and add it to my YouTube channel.

Since there are not too many videos on our trikes on accessories, modifications and technical tips, it surely won’t hurt with another one! Lol!

This video is showing the kit that I recently received and I did some splices of videos over the course of a couple days since I had other projects going on.

(Sorry for some repetitive words or info in the video… I didn’t feel like editing any of it out as it should be helpful to anyone interested or on the fence to get this kit).

This is really a very nice kit and highly recommend it! (Some have mentioned that they do not like the look of it being there… personally, I don’t mind the look whatsoever and the added benefits and oil change convenience is a plus)!

Note: Many members on here are also members on the HD Forum, but some are not….So I will copy/paste this post on there too. Hope the info helps!!!

- Brett

Saw your install video today. Good job!

- Brett

Brett, great video!

We have linked it in a couple of our Youtube playlists.

We appreciate your business, AND the video. :clapping:

I believe you are going to be very pleased with this upgrade.

Here's your video displayed in this post.

Kevin

Would those hard lines not restrict the flow. Most that I have looked at the holes in the fitting is smaller than the hose size. Any thoughts on that.

The oil lines are not small diameter hard lines. In fact, they are flexible rubber hoses (made for oil usage), and is 3/8” I.D. in size. There will not be any issues with “flow restrictions” at all.

As long as they are connected properly, your oil “flow” and pressure will not be effected.

The oil lines are not small diameter hard lines. In fact, they are flexible rubber hoses (made for oil usage), and is 3/8” I.D. in size. There will not be any issues with “flow restrictions” at all.

As long as they are connected properly, your oil “flow” and pressure will not be effected.

I was not talking about the hose size. The actual fitting itself the ones I have used the opening in it is smaller than the hose being used. I would rather use those hoses over the rubber and clamps.

I was not talking about the hose size. The actual fitting itself the ones I have used the opening in it is smaller than the hose being used. I would rather use those hoses over the rubber and clamps.

Any fitting is going to fit “inside” the hose and will be naturally “smaller” in order to fit.

with that said… it’s totally fine and again oil pressure and oil flow is not a concern.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom Wallen
Back