Cover For Underframe Wiring To Oil Cooler

JTJersey

800+ Posts
Gold Member
Jul 2, 2021
Millville NJ USA
Had a occasion to hit some road construction locally and picked up road tar on my wheels. Didn't see it 'till I got home in the garage. A fine mess. Got 95% off the wheels and miscellaneous other places with some WD40, but I was looking underneath at the oil cooler wiring mess and was wondering if anybody has ever seen a cover for that area. Those wires get a lot of road debris on them and seems a plastic cover of some sort would be useful. I cleaned them up with water and dish detergent mix then blew it dry with the cooler fan and a pat down with a rag.

001.jpg

The flexible wire loom would be the easiest or just temporary till you come up with something.

610CtNrn20L._AC_UY218_.jpg

Thanks, but what I want to do is cover that area where the wiring is completely, not just the wires and connectors. Think something like the skid plates on Pans and Shovels. The wiring already has wire covers on them, but oily road scum tends to find it's way into exposed connectors. A cover would keep the area clean and hopefully avoid connection issues.

This is what I came up with. Using a piece of cardboard I made a template of the area then jigsawed the plastic to match. Used Super Velcro attached to the bottom of the cooling fan housing and on a flat plate on the right side that secures a connector. Had to drill a hole to let it show through to keep the plastic flat against the frame. The left side I needed to use a wire tie because the frame over there is much thinner in that spot than the other side and there's nothing to attach Velcro to. Sorry about the crudely stitched together pick of the cover. I'd have to find somebody with a trike lift to get a good picture.

Below is the area I want covered and two with the cover in place.
0.jpg DSC00061.JPG 2.png
1.jpg

Now your trapping heat .
I thought of that, but when I tested it on an hour run at average speeds of 70mph in 78° sunshine the area wasn't even warm. It's not exactly airtight, just a splash shield from weather and road debris. Besides, it's not really covering anything that gets particularly hot The crank cases are still exposed and they're not all that hot to begin with. I'll see how it goes with more testing.

I thought of that, but when I tested it on an hour run at average speeds of 70mph in 78° sunshine the area wasn't even warm. It's not exactly airtight, just a splash shield from weather and road debris. Besides, it's not really covering anything that gets particularly hot The crank cases are still exposed and they're not all that hot to begin with. I'll see how it goes with more testing.
I like it...the heat it traps if any, is negligible.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eddienorman
Back