What did you do to Your Tri-Glide Today?

First of all, The brake didnt work when I bought the bike.

Second of all The Brake didn't work when I bought the bike.

Third of all you can run what you want and trust.... I dont trust the brake that HD puts on, I've heard to much bad about them. I'm not replacing pads all the time to find out that the stories I heard are true.... In 5300 miles the brake shouldn't be totally out of adjustment on the leaver... And the pads are only 1/32 worn off from new. So they may or may not have been replaced....

I'll use what I feel will work the best for me. And its not HDs setup, to me its already proven to me that its a poor design. They must agree too, since they changed to a different style of brake.

PS I'm a retired after 40 years, class 8 truck mechanic. So I do know just a little bit about brakes...

4th of all, you can use a rock as a chock if you want...:laugh:

PS We all just like to try to help others out a little if we can. We're a fairly friendly bunch. Not like those of them at the HD forum.

By the way, I'm Scott...nice to meet ya!

First of all, The brake didnt work when I bought the bike.

Second of all The Brake didn't work when I bought the bike.

Third of all you can run what you want and trust.... I dont trust the brake that HD puts on, I've heard to much bad about them. I'm not replacing pads all the time to find out that the stories I heard are true.... In 5300 miles the brake shouldn't be totally out of adjustment on the leaver... And the pads are only 1/32 worn off from new. So they may or may not have been replaced....

I'll use what I feel will work the best for me. And its not HDs setup, to me its already proven to me that its a poor design. They must agree too, since they changed to a different style of brake.

PS I'm a retired after 40 years, class 8 truck mechanic. So I do know just a little bit about brakes...

Sorry I pissed ya off :Shrug:. All I can say is mine works fine. Have a safe day .

Kevin, What did you use to balance them?

When I need to replace tires ... probably next season or maybe later this season depending on miles ... :D ... I will go with ride on, I think. I hate the stick on weights and like the extra protection against puncture ... especially here in the land of the great wide open ... LOL.

New handlebars and grips

I installed my new handlebars and grips that I received as a Christmas gift (had carpel tunnel surgery on both wrists over winter and had to wait on them to heal before I tackled this). I put on Sweepers 2+2 and Kuryaken Iso grips. My trike is a 2017 and i had to get the wire extensions (69200034). The clutch and brake lines were really tight but I was able to get enough clearance for them to work. The hardest and most troublesome part was running the wiring inside of the handlebars. I finally had to do some Dremel work on the holes at the grip areas to get the wires control wire connectors to pass through. I know some folks have depinned the connectors but my eyesight would not allow me to do that.

So far, I like the change and I am able to sit in a more relaxed position and am even able to lean back some. As others have stated, turning does seem easier and for me especially the intersection starting out turns feel much easier.

I am not a mechanic but I can tinker about with things so, if you are debating changing out your bars, I believe it is doable for most folks. Watch the videos on YouTube and read what others have said in the forums and you can do it. I easily saved over $500.00 by doing my own.

IMG_1117_2.jpg

Last edited:
My Bullet parking brake showed up today. Got it installed. It was easy as the video showed. It works great. Just pull the front brake on, doesn't take hardly any pressure, and push the button on the valve. Holds until you tap the brake and it comes right off.. Should work great at gas stops. Lots better than the make believe one HD has that always needs readjusted.

I've been using Dyna Beads for years and been totally happy with them.

I have recently used Ride-On and been pleased with it also.

Kevin

I put ride on into my Gold Wing ... only got a couple hundred miles on it before the Tri came available ... did you do the ride on without any weights? I took the weights off the Gold Wing, but not a lot of test time. Seemed smooth as silk. You know the area I ride in and the remoteness ... the idea of self sealing tires appeals to me.

Today's Project #1

I've seen the pictures and read the comments on the Tour-Pak tethers breaking and breaking the TP or the lid when it falls open. The parachute cord is a good idea, but I didn't want to squish it under the nuts and risk it failing at some point, too. So I went one step farther and found these:

IMG-0657.JPG

This one is mounted to the upper seat cushion bolt:IMG-0656.JPG

This one is mounted to the bottom tether anchor screw:

IMG-0655.JPG

There is a fail point where the parachute cord passes through the angle plate, so I think I'm going to take it apart and put some shrink tubing on the cord where it passes through and try to beef it up. Should last a little longer that way.

Last edited:
Today's Project #3 Part 1

The reflectors on the rear fender didn't suit me, as they are just that, reflectors. I wanted a more "active" marker back there. Went to Custom Dynamics and ordered a pair of their Red TF-R Tru-Flex lighting strips with 20 LEDs. Then to Amazon for 25ft - 1/8 inch Flexo PET Expandable Braided Sleeving - Black/Red - Alex Tech Braided Cable Sleeve and GWHOLE 100Pcs 3M Adhesive Cable Clips. Then the fun began!

IMG-0633.JPG

The "almost worthless" reflector.

IMG-0634.JPG IMG-0635.JPG

Taking and marking measurements. Mark at center of reflector with a perpendicular line. Then measure the horizontal center of both ends of the reflector and write the measurements down for future reference.

IMG-0638.JPG

Borrow the spouse's hair dryer (or use your own if you have one) and heat carefully, moving the dryer over the reflector until you can start to move it. Keep heating and work it around until you feel it loosen and peel it off. Clean the residue with your favorite cleaner and, you have a clean fender!

IMG-0644.JPG

Painter's tape on the fender to cover the area where you will transfer your measurements for light bar placement. Mark your measurements and center the light bar on the lines. Make a mark where the wiring will pass through the fender. I put my wire marking to the rear of the bike. Use that mark to drill a 3/32" hole in the fender. OUCH! I know there are some that will cringe at doing this, but it's the only way!

IMG-0648.JPG

You will want to thread the Light Bar wiring through the 1/8 inch Flexo PET Expandable Braided Sleeving - Black/Red - Alex Tech Braided Cable Sleeve at this point and shrink tube the end of it as close to the back of the Light Bar as you can. Again, Be careful with the heat on components. Then start your wiring through the (UGH!) hole in the fender. Tape it up out of the way to make work easier.

IMG-0649.JPG IMG-0651.JPG

After bringing the wiring through the fender, I used the GWHOLE 100Pcs 3M Adhesive Cable Clips Cord Organizer Wire Management clips to secure the wiring to the inner fender back to the taillight and tapped into the black wire to connect the black wire and the blue wire to connect the red.

Results to follow. I've hit my picture limit in this post! TBC...

Attachments

• IMG-0640.JPG
    IMG-0640.JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG-0642.JPG
    IMG-0642.JPG
    103.3 KB · Views: 246
Today's Project #3 Part 2

This is the Custom Dynamics TF-R 20 LED mounted permanently in place with no power applied.

IMG-0652.JPG

This is the Custom Dynamics TF-R 20 LED mounted permanently in place with power applied.

IMG-0653.JPG

Makes a big difference! Picture was taken in a fully lighted garage.

I think I'm done with projects for today! And yes, I did torque the wheels when I put them back on, to 100 ft-lbs, and will recheck them after I go for a ride!

Last edited:
This is the Custom Dynamics TF-R 20 LED mounted permanently in place with power applied.

View attachment 70796

Makes a big difference! Picture was taken in a fully lighted garage.

I think I'm done with projects for today! And yes, I did torque the wheels when I put them back on, to 100 ft-lbs, and will recheck them after I go for a ride!

Nice ... really looks good on the red ... wonder if they have them in smoke, but, turn red under power?

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JStogner
Back