oil changes

for those of you who change there own oil such as I do on my tri glide, I've only been putting 3 1/2 qrts back in as was told to do by the dealer cause if any more then that it spits out of the air filter do any of you ever drain old oil out of cooler? I use screaming eagle full synthetic and intervals

for those of you who change there own oil such as I do on my tri glide, I've only been putting 3 1/2 qrts back in as was told to do by the dealer cause if any more then that it spits out of the air filter do any of you ever drain old oil out of cooler? I use screaming eagle full synthetic and intervals

I always run a 1/2 Qt under, Did it with my EX spyder and with my T/G and Victory..
The dipstick should read between the add and full mark.. Some people try to keep it at the full mark at all times that's when blow-bye happens..

Always change my own oil. using Redline 20/60 because I ride in AZ and high desert between Reno + Vegas frequently. Always use the drain plug to drain hot oil.

To answer your question about the cooler, I suggest not draining it, unless you install a drain to do that. The continues taking the line on and off may cause a problem. You are using good oil and the few ounces will not make a difference.

I found 3.3 quarts to be about perfect .... and 3.5 to be right at the max. If you are a hard rider and like the revs up I would try 3.2 to 3.3. If you live in a hot area and are conservative 3.5 would give you the most oil to cool.

This is assuming a normal drain down and filter replacement (not going the extra to get oil out of the sump area or other).

Bob :Dorag:

I have never drained oil out of the oil cooler on any of my Harleys. Always just drain the oil through the drain plug when the oil is hot and change the filter. The small amount of oil that is left in the oil cooler is not a problem.

Sunman

Our 2015 Freewheeler has 2 marks to check the oil with. The lower check Is on the jiffy stand do it cold. The upper check, says on the dip stick, check it in the up right position hot. Upright being straight. That is how I will do it.

I have never drained oil out of the oil cooler on any of my Harleys. Always just drain the oil through the drain plug when the oil is hot and change the filter. The small amount of oil that is left in the oil cooler is not a problem. Sunman

:Agree: The amount in the cooler is such a small amount it means nothing in the over all picture. I've also run them at 3.5 qt's which is full fill on an oil change for the Triglide and 3 qt's which is half a qt low for the Triglide. I've never seen any oil temp difference. I run them a half a qt low to leave room for air movement in the oil tank, it seems to help with any oil carry over out of the breathers.

how often are you changing the oil with that redline oil

I am running it 5k, change it and clean the Pc Racing Flo oil filter.
The oil is hard to find when on the long hauls. I did 6200 miles on a long haul before I was able to change it. Never thought twice about it. The TG has a stage 2 with 24357 miles on her and still runs strong.

I am running it 5k, change it and clean the Pc Racing Flo oil filter.
The oil is hard to find when on the long hauls. I did 6200 miles on a long haul before I was able to change it. Never thought twice about it. The TG has a stage 2 with 24357 miles on her and still runs strong.
same as I do on the Harley full synthetic was wondering about availability used to use that in my truck tranny when pulling 5th wheel good stuff

Oil Quantity

3 1/2 qts has always works for me. No blow by.001.JPG I installed a remote oil filter assembly on the frame up from the oil cooler. I loosen the oil filter a bit and remove drain plug. Siphoning action cleans out lines and cooler.

I just drop by Walmart and get some mobile 1 and stop by a place that works on cars, I prefer country I know they will help, ask to borrow a spot and a pain to catch the oil. Change it right there. On trips planned that long I either carry a filter or make arrangements some where and have it done. There's a lot of ways to get it done. When you live on the road fer some time you learn a lot of short cuts. Haven't forgot them.

Just changed my oil, and cleaned my oil filter, in an autozone parking lot a week ago.

As far as how much...I put in about 3 quarts, and then add any more that might be needed, using the dipstick to tell me when the oil is at the correct level.

When not on the road, every now and then I use the Oil Scavenger to do a complete oil change...I know it's not needed, but sometimes it just feels good to do a complete oil change. :)

Kevin

I have used 3 qts for each oil change on my '14 TG (4 now) and have never had any blowby. Dipstick reads a little below full-hot. No issues, no problems, no strange noises.

Ride and have fun!

jiffy tand

Freewheeler's do not have jiffy stand. It is a trike stand on three wheels. sorry:)
Our 2015 Freewheeler has 2 marks to check the oil with. The lower check Is on the jiffy stand do it cold. The upper check, says on the dip stick, check it in the up right position hot. Upright being straight. That is how I will do it.

Freewheeler's do not have jiffy stand. It is a trike stand on three wheels. sorry:)

Harley uses the same dip-stick for both the two wheelers and the trikes..
The jiffy stand markings are a non issue with a trike.. And whats up with Harley calling a kick stand a Jiffy stand!:laugh::Shrug:

I have always wanted to install a kick stand on my trike just to see the reactions. The bracket is still on the Tri.
It might be a good exercise to stay in practice for riding the 2 wheeler.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Tool
Back