oil changes

I just drop by Walmart and get some mobile 1 and stop by a place that works on cars, I prefer country I know they will help, ask to borrow a spot and a pain to catch the oil. Change it right there. On trips planned that long I either carry a filter or make arrangements some where and have it done. There's a lot of ways to get it done. When you live on the road fer some time you learn a lot of short cuts. Haven't forgot them.

Mobile 1 for me too.

Anybody doing a complete oil change using "the 4 quart method" on a Triglide with the DK oil filter relocation kit in place?

Thanks.

I had fresh oil when I did the mods. I filled the new filter before installing. I ran it checking for leaks and let the oil get hot. Checked and added a very small amount. I will do a full change in about 2.5K miles. Jim

Anybody doing a complete oil change using "the 4 quart method" on a Triglide with the DK oil filter relocation kit in place?

Thanks.

I have done several oil changes with the DK Oil Filter Relocation and the Dual Cool Oil Cooler.

I don't know what the "4 quart method" is. I drain the oil when it is hot, remove the oil filter. Re-install the drain plug and oil filter, then put in 3 quarts per the owners manual. I then run it and add oil as needed to get it to the proper point on the dipstick, again, as per the owners manual. (Maintenance and Lubrication section)

I have also done complete oil changes, using the scavenger system, but still follow the owners manual of verifying that the correct amount is in the engine via the dipstick vs. putting in a pre-determined amount of oil.

Filter%20Clean%202_zpsndwieldx.jpg

Filter%20Clean%203_zpsm4qozege.jpg

Kevin

To be able to tell when my oil is OK or when it's down a half quart, I did a normal oil and filter change then only added 3 quarts. Rode the bike to check for leaks then checked the dip stick and cut a small notch in the dip stick at that level. Then added another 1/2 quart and checked the level again making a second notch at that level. The top notch is my full mark and the lower notch is the 1/2 qt low mark. Not exactly rocket science but none of the marks on my dipstick were even close to being right when hot or cold so I just kinda 'recalibrated' it my way.

PC

To be able to tell when my oil is OK or when it's down a half quart, I did a normal oil and filter change then only added 3 quarts. Rode the bike to check for leaks then checked the dip stick and cut a small notch in the dip stick at that level. Then added another 1/2 quart and checked the level again making a second notch at that level. The top notch is my full mark and the lower notch is the 1/2 qt low mark. Not exactly rocket science but none of the marks on my dipstick were even close to being right when hot or cold so I just kinda 'recalibrated' it my way.

PC

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Delverc
Back