Nitrogen filled tire

What I learned is that plain air will leak right through a tire eventually. It's the molecules other than nitrogen that pass through. Nitrogen molecules are bigger, so they don't pass through the tire rubber. If you fill with "pure" nitrogen, you won't lose air over a long period of time. It's also more stable, does not expand as much with heat, that's why NASCAR teams use it. Some Costco's have nitrogen.

Or, you could just check your tire pressure more often.

What I learned is that plain air will leak right through a tire eventually. It's the molecules other than nitrogen that pass through. Nitrogen molecules are bigger, so they don't pass through the tire rubber. If you fill with "pure" nitrogen, you won't lose air over a long period of time. It's also more stable, does not expand as much with heat, that's why NASCAR teams use it. Some Costco's have nitrogen.

You are correct sir! It's more stable because it's much dryer than regular air.
The reason NASCAR tires are inflated with nitrogen, rather than the normal air we pump into our tires, is due to the increased stability under hotter temperatures that the gas exhibits. It allows the tire pressure (Up to 50 pounds per square inch) to remain constant throughout the race regardless of the temperature, which can reach 200 degrees Fahrenheit. (from NASCAR's website)

I have only had experience with nitrogen in our motorhome tires. Month after month, cold or hot weather, the tire pressures remained the same...whether it had been driven or just sitting. It was initially housed in a climate controlled airplane hangar then moved to a storage shed that was open on one end and subject to all seasonal temperatures for several years. Nitrogen worked for us in that instance but have never put it in a car or motorcycle tires.

True Nitrogen is supposed to seal the tire better than straight air

I have had doubts about this for years and cannot see paying for what I can get for free JMO

Keeping in mind air is 78 percent Nitrogen:p

So why don't tires with air or go 78% flat if nitrogen won't go thru?:Shrug::Shrug::Shrug:

Nitrogen in the tires were A gimmick started by the Florida new car dealers Association many years ago this way they can convince all the old gullible retired people that they have to come back to the dealer and pay for nitrogen in their tires every time they Needed a top off of nitrogen ����

Another gimmick to separate dollars from your wallet to theirs. Tried it years ago,not worth the $$. Also the more you check the pressure the more of it you lose.

I agree with the above completely.

Back in the 1980's I experimented with and used nitrogen in my racing gokart tires.

I had a repair shop so bottled gas was easily obtained.

I took an old freon tank and used it for nitrogen filled to 90 psi and carried it with me to the races. Small sprintkart tires and small tracks with flat tight turns.

The air would expand 8-10 psi during a short 10 lap race making for a very slippery kart at the end of the race. Nitrogen didn't expand at all in those tires and I could adjust my race pressures and not have the bad handling characteristics of low pressure, not to mention the chain and sprocket eating the asphalt, until a desired heated air pressure was reached.

Never thought of using it other than in competition because of benefit over expense.

Using it for tires belongs at the racetrack and in aircraft ..... or maybe if you are going from the Florida Keys to Pike's Peak .......
:Joker3:

However, I do have a Nitrogen Factory and a bridge for sale in Brooklyn ..... CHEAP !!!!

Thanks for all the feed back. I'am just going to leave it in there till I have a flat. And I'am a retired pipe line welder so the nitrogen is no problem for me to aquire

Pure Nitrogen is supposed to be a better seal and cause less damage to the inner lining of the tires

I still cannot force myself to pay for it:p

I've been using it in everything I own for years. Here in Western Colorado, we have temp changes from 105* during the day to 55-60* at night. Here lately, we have had 15-20* at night and 55* during the day. I am so confident that nitrogen keeps tire pressures consistent, I only ever check it day or two before a long trip. And my pressures never change.

I even use it in my trailer tires (converted boat trailer to haul bike and a 7'x4' utility I use for work) and I only check tire pressures once a year except if I load the bike for a long trip.

I'm sold on Nitrogen, of course, Big O here in town doesn't charge to put it in.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JStogner
Back