Honda GL1800 rear brake recall

Yes, they did call the tech. line but there is some serious wait time to get someone. Like I said, the dealer is very reliable. I didn't mean to make them sound like they weren't. He said he would contact me when he has further instructions from Honda. I don't believe he didn't want to do the work because as it stands right now, he has time invested but probably won't get paid for it. He and I looked over the service bulletin and I see were the concussion comes from. I think the word "flow" is the issue.

I suspect you are dead on the money there Kevin. So many guys (myself included) were/are stating it is a 100% no exception situation and even the trike manufactures seem to indicate that. Although they are really saying just let you dealer make that decision. I spoke earlier today with one of the owners at the dealership I use and he told me it was on a case by case basis (similar to your experience) but said to call and talk to the service manager to be sure. I'll get with him sometime today.... Will update then.....

UPDATE: OK, After talking to my service manage, what we pretty much thought was the case is true. Per the TechLine folks, most of the trike kit manufacturers (even the ones with delinked brake systems) are advising owners to go ahead and have an authorized Honda dealer inspect the brake system to ensure it is totally delinked. If it is there is no repair necessary.

If you are 100% positive you do not have linked brakes you do not even need to have them inspected. It will not affect resale, warranty, or further interface with Honda.

I presented the scenario of a old possibly defective SMC from a trike getting installed on a bike or trike with linked brakes. My service manager said he did not know how to ensure that did not happen but also said he would never do it.

So, that is how Honda is handling the recall. If you have any doubts then by all means take your trike or bike to an authorized Honda dealer and have them inspect it.

I hope this helps some of us better understand the recall.:xszpv::xszpv:

Thanks for the info. Gold Rush. Like I said, I'm not concerned with my brake setup as it is but I did what the recall told me to do. I wonder what Honda's liability might be though if one of the smc ended up on another bike? Don't plan on doing it or anything but someone will. Thanks again for all the info.

Thanks for the info. Gold Rush. Like I said, I'm not concerned with my brake setup as it is but I did what the recall told me to do. I wonder what Honda's liability might be though if one of the smc ended up on another bike? Don't plan on doing it or anything but someone will. Thanks again for all the info.

Yes, I wonder also.... Seems to me what some have said earlier that ALL were to be done would have been the wise move. GO FIGURE!! :xzqxz::xzqxz:

You and I are good regardless. I understand that Roadsmith has started linking the brakes again so new owners need to be aware of the changes.

Dealer called today after Honda service rep got back with him. Honda says the recall will be called complete on my Roadsmith. He said since there is no way to flush my smc then it's not possible to go through with the swapping out and flushing. I'm OK with it as I know the dragging brakes won't affect my trike.

Dealer called today after Honda service rep got back with him. Honda says the recall will be called complete on my Roadsmith. He said since there is no way to flush my smc then it's not possible to go through with the swapping out and flushing. I'm OK with it as I know the dragging brakes won't affect my trike.

That's right!!! I never thought of that. If you opened the lines to replace the SMC there would be not way to bleed the air out of the system.... Sometimes the obvious evades us.. :xszpv::xszpv:

Thanks for the update...

forward_motion_lbs.jpggllink.jpg
Here goes my feeble mind again! I thought the secondary master cylinder activated the ADV ????? What is capped off on some conversions is the fluid flow to the rear brake when applying the front brake lever??????
This is why, I thought, was one of the reasons all trikes were included in the latest revision to the recall??????

With the new brake system that RS now offers...the ADV is disconnected & the secondary master cylinder is removed..And the brake system is now linked...

And the brake system is now linked...

Huh????
Do you mean not linked?
Be willing to bet when applying the rear brake, it is still linked to the front left!
I'm surprised that removal of the ADV and the SMC is part of the conversion process but, it is what it is.
Still, part of the recall is a new rear master cylinder and a fluid flush and refill.
I'd still do the recall just for the flush and fill!

My brakes were delinked during the install of the HTS RS kit...my rear brake pedal only works the rear brakes & the front brake lever just works the front..

If you own a newer Champion IRS, the secondary MC is still hooked up to the anti dive valve. The plumbing is reworked so that you have 2 pistons working on the left side when using the front brakes!
The new plumbing allows you to bleed the secondary MC at the ADV. ( part of the conversion includes a new hose from the secondary MC to the ADV!
I have a 2013 Lehman Monarch LLS II, and I de-linked the the brakes following the Champion instructions!

Why do some people report the dealer just checked the MC and the SMC and said they were OK, and some say the dealer replaced the front and then others say they replaced them both??