Honda GL1800 rear brake recall

I thought the recall was only on the SMC not the primary rear master cylinder? It my understanding that they are only replacing the SMC not the primary rear master cylinder, from what I have read. If they are replacing the primary rear master cylinder, can to lead me by the nose to where it says that in the recall notice?

Thanks for the help.
Nuc

Go to Solidbob's post #24 and the website he gives shows copies of the actual letter that I received from Honda stating what is to be replaced if the recall applies. Doc

Hey Jim...

Just curious - for our Lehman Monarch II on a 2008 GL1800 - triked brand new at the dealer - not ABS --we are 2nd owner --- are the brakes still linked?

Thanks!

Carla and Jim

Your brake system is still linked so a visit to the Honda dealer is needed. You may not have a brake issue and may never have a brake issue in the future in regards to the SMC but Honda and their dealers are responsible to carry out this recall. And even if the SMC is inoperative such as in the Champion equivalent, I think it would behoove the Honda dealers to replace the SMC even if it is totally useless. If that motorcycle/trike is taken to the dealer for the recall and that recall is not performed, if that SMC ends up someplace down the road on another motorcycle and fails, I would say that Honda could certainly have a problem.

If anything, you get a free brake fluid flush for all your troubles and the knowledge that you can resell your Goldwing or trade it in without worrying about outstanding recalls.

For those of you that have Hannigan kits installed, I refer you to my thread on the Hannigan site that dealt specifically with that issue. Doc and I have also been in contact with each other about it. Hannigan's final response clarifies the issue.

This summer I was having problems with the brakes on my Lehman and they by-passed the secondary and after 2 weeks the rear brakes was locking up, I took it back and they had to replace the secondary master cylinder. So it does affect the rear brakes.

This summer I was having problems with the brakes on my Lehman and they by-passed the secondary and after 2 weeks the rear brakes was locking up, I took it back and they had to replace the secondary master cylinder. So it does affect the rear brakes.

Id still have it, your VIN checked by Honda cant hurt just might cost some time.
Now if you have the receipts from the repairs. Honda might reimburse you for most if not all the charges.

Anybody notice in the recall, Honda is telling us this is all caused by old brake fluid building up "sediment" Just saying.................
Apparently, Mother Honda must be correct in telling us to change brake fluid every 12K or 2yrs!
Interesting because how often do you change brake fluid in your cage????

Recall

I also received my notice and I called the local Honda dealer and they told me my Roadsmith is not on the recall. I then called Honda and they said they were not sure but to still have it inspected so that the VIN number of my Trike can be removed from there list.

Sounds like another Dealer that doesn't have the latest Recall Notice #23 Revised / go to page three of this Thread and find my Post with this Recall Listed and Print it out.... it does have Sections Marked NEW that talk all about trike conversions, and bleeding procedures and gives you a list of items to be replaced even on your Roadsmith and my Roadsmith so dealers that blow you off saying nothing needs to be redone are just wrong / as Mother Honda is replacing the SMC & the Rear Master Cylinder along with dis-assembly , cleaning and flushing the system / most dealers that have your peace of mind while doing this also flush out the front brakes & hydralic clutch also / there already there and Honda furnishes plenty of Dot 4 Honda Pro Brake fluid.

Get it done right..... my dealer appreciated me taking them a copy ( well maybe not) but once the manager got involved all was on a different level of Thank You.... and sorry!! He did find some extra parts and an excess of Dot 4 Pro Fluid.... when he went and checked, next he was re-checking the recalls he had already done to make sure they were correct... so don't think all dealers stay up to date.... ask to see the Recall they are going to do for you..... if its not #23 Revised dated December 11th.... show then your paperwork.....

I'd be willing to bet that folks that got some of the first Recalls might have got missed on some things that are now added..... Read your work orders and compare to the Parts List in #23 Revised

Just some FYI

Recall

Sounds like another Dealer that doesn't have the latest Recall Notice #23 Revised / go to page three of this Thread and find my Post with this Recall Listed and Print it out.... it does have Sections Marked NEW that talk all about trike conversions, and bleeding procedures and gives you a list of items to be replaced even on your Roadsmith and my Roadsmith so dealers that blow you off saying nothing needs to be redone are just wrong / as Mother Honda is replacing the SMC & the Rear Master Cylinder along with dis-assembly , cleaning and flushing the system / most dealers that have your peace of mind while doing this also flush out the front brakes & hydralic clutch also / there already there and Honda furnishes plenty of Dot 4 Honda Pro Brake fluid.

Get it done right..... my dealer appreciated me taking them a copy ( well maybe not) but once the manager got involved all was on a different level of Thank You.... and sorry!! He did find some extra parts and an excess of Dot 4 Pro Fluid.... when he went and checked, next he was re-checking the recalls he had already done to make sure they were correct... so don't think all dealers stay up to date.... ask to see the Recall they are going to do for you..... if its not #23 Revised dated December 11th.... show then your paperwork.....

I'd be willing to bet that folks that got some of the first Recalls might have got missed on some things that are now added..... Read your work orders and compare to the Parts List in #23 Revised

Just some FYI

I will travel a little further to another Honda Dealer as this one in Etown, Ky will not even work on a trike if it involves anything with the back end of the bike. I suspect it is because he has no idea where to begin. I have used them twice for tire replacement on the front of the bike and had to take it back. Once for not hooking back up the ring of fire and this most recent for a scraping noise when I enter into a right hand curve. I called them and they said that is normal for a Goldwing. What an answer!! I have driven this trike for approx. 6000 miles and never had that noise before. I have not taken it back but will have to pull the front fender to inspect what is rubbing on the rotor. I suspect something to have with delinking the brake system and whatever it is, it is now rubbing. I have no confidence in them messing with trike anymore. I have however taken your advice and ran a copy of the recall notice and when the weather breaks for spring, I will follow up with another dealer. Thanks for the info. When I had the trike in this latest time for the tire replacement, I ask them to bleed the back brakes as my pedal seems soft and braking power has diminished but again as I said, they told me they do not work on trike kits and bleeding the back brakes is part of that. This is a new 2015 Roadsmith so the pads are new, calipers new, etc. etc.

I will travel a little further to another Honda Dealer as this one in Etown, Ky will not even work on a trike if it involves anything with the back end of the bike. I suspect it is because he has no idea where to begin. I have used them twice for tire replacement on the front of the bike and had to take it back. Once for not hooking back up the ring of fire and this most recent for a scraping noise when I enter into a right hand curve. I called them and they said that is normal for a Goldwing. What an answer!! I have driven this trike for approx. 6000 miles and never had that noise before. I have not taken it back but will have to pull the front fender to inspect what is rubbing on the rotor. I suspect something to have with delinking the brake system and whatever it is, it is now rubbing. I have no confidence in them messing with trike anymore. I have however taken your advice and ran a copy of the recall notice and when the weather breaks for spring, I will follow up with another dealer. Thanks for the info. When I had the trike in this latest time for the tire replacement, I ask them to bleed the back brakes as my pedal seems soft and braking power has diminished but again as I said, they told me they do not work on trike kits and bleeding the back brakes is part of that. This is a new 2015 Roadsmith so the pads are new, calipers new, etc. etc.

Jeff,
The rubbing or scraping could be rotor or ring of fire as it sounds like when your wheel was off for the tire change they didn't line up the wheel (centered) between the rotors prior to tightening so therefore its offset to one side so when the pressure pushes on the closest side it rubs. Hopefully they put on a trike recommended tire and balanced it.. I doubt they did!! Has nothing to do with the Roadsmith unlinked brakes...who did your kit? Maybe someone below....
Better news is you have a few choices of Roadsmith installers close to you, if you have a trailer I would just take it by the dealer you choose. Below is a list based on your Zip Code for Roadsmith installers.... I am not familiar with any of these guys so start with the closest one, make a phone call and question them about what you want done until you find one you like. There are a few Honda Dealers Listed below that should be able to handle anything on the Roadsmith including the RECALL.....

This takes you to Roadsmith : http://www.trikeshop.com/ and the list below is from the Dealer Locator also on the website!!!! I used Zip - 40155

<form action="http://www.trikeshop.com/dealers/?z=40155" method="GET" style="padding: 0px; margin: 0px;">Show Distance To <input size="10" class="zip" type="text" name="z" value="40155" style="padding: 2px; margin: 4px 4px 0px 0px; font-size: 11px; border: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); width: 50px; height: 13px;"> <input type="submit" value="Go" style="padding-right: 1px; padding-left: 1px; margin: 0px; height: 18px; font-size: 11px; color: white; border: 1px solid transparent; background: rgb(204, 30, 29);"></form>
LocationCityStateZipPhone NumberInventoryDistance
Mortons Motor Sports - Installing DealerLouisvilleKY40209502-366-4440-22 Miles
Steves American Cycle - Full DealerRockportIN47635812-649-4402-60 Miles
Alvaton Garage - Full DealerAlvatonKY42122270-996-1024-77 Miles
Bikes-N-Trikes - Installing DealerBoggstownIN46110317-835-4544-113 Miles
Chopper Works - Installing DealerMilfordOH45150513-554-1222-127 Miles
Cycles & Stuff - Full DealerMurfreesboroTN37129615-893-3600-143 Miles
Grumpys Goldwing Service - Full DealerThorntownIN46071866-510-7433-155 Miles
Indian Motorcycle of Lafayette - Full DealerLafayetteIN47905(765) 449-7122-177 Miles
Harmon Motor Sales - Installing DealerIrontonOH45638740-532-9033-185 Miles
Edge Custom Cycles - Installing DealerMorristownTN37813423-254-1800-193 Miles
Baxters Harley Davidson - Installing DealerBidwellOH45614740-446-6336-211 Miles
Greeneville Honda - Installing DealerGreenevilleTN37745423-639-2671-211 Miles
Independent Motorsports - Full DealerColumbusOH43207(614) 917-1350-211 Miles
Niehaus Cycle Sales - Full DealerLitchfieldIL620561-800-373-65651 Trikes216 Miles
GP Cycle Specialties - Full DealerConvoyOH45832419-238-1776-217 Miles
Smoky Mountain Steel Horses - Full DealerWaynesvilleNC28786828-452-7276-236 Miles
Honda of Ottawa - Installing DealerOttawaOH45875419-523-6820-237 Miles
Bluff Powersports - Full DealerPoplar BluffMO63901573-785-0146-256 Miles
Complete Cycle - Full DealerRomeGA30165(706) 331-9783-256 M

<thead style="padding: 0px; margin: 0px;">
</thead><tbody style="padding: 0px; margin: 0px;">
</tbody>

........ and this most recent for a scraping noise when I enter into a right hand curve. I called them and they said that is normal for a Goldwing. What an answer!! I have driven this trike for approx. 6000 miles and never had that noise before.

The cause of the rubbing may be the left front brake rotor rubbing the inside of the left fork, the same rotor rubbing the caliper or the same rotor rubbing the ring of fire because the lower bracket is out of alignment. You should be able to see the first two possibilities by removing the LF ring of fire.

Before you do that just jack the wheel off the ground and rotate while pushing slightly against the bottom of LF ring of fire.

Taking your bike/trike to a Honda is a gamble every time. Dealer did my recall, got the foot brake lever way too low, adjusting that was a major pain. All the bolts were over torqued, and one stripped. It's amazing what those people can do. Guess I'm lucky to come out with so little damage.

Taking your bike/trike to a Honda is a gamble every time. Dealer did my recall, got the foot brake lever way too low, adjusting that was a major pain. All the bolts were over torqued, and one stripped. It's amazing what those people can do. Guess I'm lucky to come out with so little damage.
Why was the foot brake pedal position "messed" with?????

I have no clue, they installed a new brake cylinder in that area. Talking with the mech that actually does the work, almost impossible. I'd rather fix the problem they create than go back and forth with the dealer, that's a waste of my time.

I have no clue, they installed a new brake cylinder in that area. Talking with the mech that actually does the work, almost impossible. I'd rather fix the problem they create than go back and forth with the dealer, that's a waste of my time.

I agree Bill, that's why it's always a good idea once you find a good mechanic you trust / keep track of him / they're always being sought after by others... I try to keep THEIR PHONE NUMBER so if they move I can check in to where.... at least your tech hopefully got it all back together / time for the personal follow-up LOOK AROUND !! To see if anything else was wrong... mainly look for leaks....

If you look at the diagrams on the Rear Master Cylinder prior to removal from the frame it should be marked on the spline it was set to for easy re-assembly and should have been measured for distance prior to removal from the frame.... that not being done its a crap shoot where he slide it back on, but it has to have the correct clearance.

Right on Bob, I have a GW guru that lives about 5 miles from me, but we are both getting long in the tooth, so I'm not sure how much longer I can depend on him. I look under the machine every time I park it for any length of time and hold my breath. I must say though, it does stop, and there seems to be no binding rolling it in neutral; so, I'm quite thankful for that.

Trike recall done on mine

Took one week for local dealer to get parts and left trike for 1 day and its all done and works well, just a thought if you do not have the recall done and go to sell or trade your trike you will possibly be asked if recall is done, no proof in writing from Honda you might not be able to sell or trade, this is a NTSB deal so even Honda cannot sell or consign a non completed bike, like I said just a thought for those that do no care to have it done. If you have a private or other dealer do it (if they can even get parts for it from Honda ) make sure you have paperwork and keep a file copy.