Honda GL1800 rear brake recall

We don't have the recall letter yet.

We have a Motor Trike Adventure kit and a Lehman Monarch II kit; both are 2008 GL1800's.

Could someone post a copy of the actual Honda recall letter or post a link to go see a copy of it?
I've googled around trying to come up with it but haven't yet.

Thanks!

Carla and Jim

Paws,

Type: Recall Information - Honda Powersports in your search bar then go down to the article with the same title and you can type your Vin# and get the info on your bike. Hope this helps. Ride Safe. Doc

Here's a partion quote from the Road Smith web site concerning the recall.....

Does this recall affect Roadsmith HT/HTS1800 (triked GL1800)?

During installation of Roadsmith conversion kits, the SMC on the motorcycle is disabled. Honda’s
repair procedure states: If the vehicles’ secondary master cylinder (SMC) is removed, or the SMC
has no brake fluid flow or connections, this recall does not apply. By disabling the SMC during the
conversion process, there is no mechanical or fluid flow link between the SMC and rear master
cylinder on Roadsmith triked GL1800 motorcycles.

Took my RS to the dealer Wednesday morning, got it back on on Friday afternoon, that's how long it took those folks. Now I still don't know exactly what they did, I was told they replaced the secondary master cylinder and purged the system with 6 pints of DOT 4 brake fluid. I suppose the SCM does nothing according to the above RS quote. Maybe I have a new SCM that does nothing, and and a brake system purge.
I'm not sure it was worth my time.

I feel that your dealer turned in the paper work to Honda to get paid...for doing nothing to your trike..why would anyone do anything to a RS kit when RS has stated the SMC has been disconnect.

I thought about that, but then those guys kept it for almost three days to do nothing? I'm thinking maybe hey just purge and replenished the brake fluid. It's amazing how I don't trust these people, shouldn't be that way. I ask myself, why would they put a new part in a trike that doesn't do anything, serves no purpose?

I would think that Mother Honda would not be pissing away big money without knowing what they are doing. My trike brakes work fine, so I'm not complaining....

I'm with you Bill, they wouldn't go to all that trouble to do nothing, my dealer has a big sealable container they drop the old parts in for return. Was told that's how they (Mother Honda) accounts for paying the dealer on this recall, replaced parts are returned and counted then credit is given to dealer. Sounded feasable to me..... guess I'll find out if we ever get winter and it gets colder.... 65 this morning..... If all I got from the dealer repair was a system bleeding per the last revived #23 Recall that would be good, new SMC guess that's okay to as its supposed to have a larger port to pass more crappy dirty fluid.... that tells me if you keep your fluid changed it should pass more cleaner fluid if it does work, plus its shown completed on my VIN Record. Just my thinking....

I think we have a meeting of the minds on this one. The man told me, all recalls have a packet sent from Mother Honda to the dealers with the necessary parts to do whatever needs to be done. If the tech replaced the SCM, what does he care if it connected to whatever, he's done his job and the old part goes to Mother Honda, Mother Honda has the recall DOT safety people off their back. I was really over thinking this thing, but I wanted to understand it as best I could; all sounds logical to me now.

They told me the brand of trike kit didn't matter........ Most mechanics know how to bleed brakes and your MT brakes shouldn't be a mystery to a Honda dealer.

In my case I disagree as I have a Hannigan conversion with the 180 front end and I would not trust any Honda Dealer without full knowledge of the 180 front end since you have to remove the front wheel to replace the secondary master cylinder and further the Hannigan has linked brake system (at least for my 2014 gl1800 and conversion). Further I would want the shop to have a Trike lift which my two local Honda Dealers do not have.
For these reasons I'm taking mine to the Honda Dealer that also built my Trike. See my post (page 1 this Thread). Ride Safe.
Doc ThumbUp

further the Hannigan has linked brake system (at least for my 2014 gl1800 and conversion).
Doc ThumbUp
Doc, did you read this on the Hannigan page:
The secondary master cylinder is still installed in its OEM position on the bike, it is capped off with no influence or interference on the rear braking system. No aspect of the secondary master cylinder is attached and affecting the braking of the bike on the rear. Some manufacturers request that the entire system be removed including all plumbing since it isn't used, we leave the secondary master on the bike as with the plumbing but we cap off the line that runs to the rear of the bike.
As mentioned above the SMC has no influence during braking, this means front or rear. So pedal usage is irrelevant in terms of functionality of the smc after the conversion.

In my case I disagree as I have a Hannigan conversion with the 180 front end and I would not trust any Honda Dealer without full knowledge of the 180 front end since you have to remove the front wheel to replace the secondary master cylinder and further the Hannigan has linked brake system (at least for my 2014 gl1800 and conversion). Further I would want the shop to have a Trike lift which my two local Honda Dealers do not have.
For these reasons I'm taking mine to the Honda Dealer that also built my Trike. See my post (page 1 this Thread). Ride Safe.
Doc ThumbUp
Doc
I had and have no intention of going to just any Honda dealer. There is a Honda dealer 15 minutes from my home.
I did however get a call from Broward Motor Sports today.
They are a Motor Trike dealer. One of their newest.
They wont build a trike for stock, but as a sold unit only.
Anyway I was told by the service manger/MT tech. Honda will do the recall at 100% their expense and having linked brakes isn't an issue.
I as you are should only have the work done by an authorized dealer of whatever build you may have.

The Service Bulletin American Honda Motor Co., Inc,
GL1800 #23 Revised December 11, 2015

states under:

Trike Conversions or Modified Brakes:

If secondary master cylinder (SMC) is removed or the SMC has no brake fluid flow or connections, this recall does not apply. Note these facts on the R.O. and return the vehicle to the customer.

Thus any Honda Dealer that goes ahead and replaces the SMC and rear master cylinder under warranty and submits the claim to Mother Honda is committing fraud. Like many of you guys I don't want parts replaced that don't even function and in my case my Hannigan 180 front end messed with when it's taken several trips to the factory to get it in good shape. If I take mine in I will insist that it be inspected and not worked on if the recall does not apply.
In fact I'm going to call the Honda tech-line at 1-800-421-1900 option 9 which is an option when the above criteria holds (under SMC removed or........). I'll report back if they talk to me. Ride Safe. Doc ThumbUp

A gentleman at the given number did agree that it is excluded from the recall based on what I told him but this is a Dealer Tech-Line thus he gave the number for Motorcycle Customer Support which is on the recall letter.
They both confirmed that the recall does not apply under the SMC statements in the service bulletin.

NOTE: Southern Honda built my 2014 Gen II Hannigan Trike and they have informed me that Honda will be replacing the SMC, RMC and brake fluid as specified in the Honda Recall Bulletin. Thus my above interpretation and info from other sources seems to be incorrect. Hope this helps.
Doc

Last edited:
Not sure about the issue in general.. I am totally confused. Just went to two Honda dealers... All was almost fine till I told them the bike had just been triked... The first dealer needed the bike has to be in there shop before they would order theO part. But both dealers claimed that it could take up to a month to get the part than it would be a week to repair... OK guess I will have to live with that..
Now the real problem..
Once I told them the bike was triked a red flag was raised... I was instructed that I would be getting a bill for the recall if it was longer than 3 hours since the bike has been triked.. My luck the bike has just been triked (with a Hannigan kit ) and only had it a week when I received the recall..
Has anyone else run into this problem with the recall ???

I thought the recall was only on the SMC not the primary rear master cylinder? It my understanding that they are only replacing the SMC not the primary rear master cylinder, from what I have read. If they are replacing the primary rear master cylinder, can to lead me by the nose to where it says that in the recall notice?

Thanks for the help.
Nuc