Honda GL1800 rear brake recall

While it may be winter for a lot of you and riding isn't an everyday thing.
Here in the Sunshine State its busy season for most dealers.
I was able to get Broward Motor Sports here to order the parts.
But I cant get a spot till Febuary 12th.:mad:
So much for a speedy fix.
The Yamaha is getting more use then it ever has in 4 years.:)

Jay, you'll be lucky if they don't keep it 3 or 4 days to get the job done.

I hope not. Id have to bring a few precooked meals and a sleeping bag. Im stuck there for the time it will take as is. Which is a shame because Id like to have the 24K service done too.....................the 32K if there is one eventually. Im at 34K now and haven't checked anything under the hood.:AGGHH:
Before I get yelled at guys. I do change the oil as I should. I grease the drive shaft every oil change too. But really haven't had the time for much of anything else in 4 years. Part of the boring Tupperware bike the GW is unfortunately. You all may say dependable. I call it boaringggggg.
Turn the key and Im off.............so far.;)

GW1800 Recall

Had the Safety Recall done this morning in Ft Lauderdale, 3 hours, no problems. Noted that the brakes were no longer linked, probably since the GW was triked. Nice job, changed both secondary and rear master cylinder sub-assy. Flushed complete brake system. :pepper:

Had the Safety Recall done this morning in Ft Lauderdale, 3 hours, no problems. Noted that the brakes were no longer linked, probably since the GW was triked. Nice job, changed both secondary and rear master cylinder sub-assy. Flushed complete brake system. :pepper:
I guess you are one of the 3 Tim said to me had Trikes??
How did you get them to do it so fast.??

- - - Updated - - -

Jay, you and I, pretty much on the same maintenance schedule, I certainly could do a better job.

I do what needs to be done. Checking my air filter isn't one of them if you get my meaning.

GW Brake Recall

I guess you are one of the 3 Tim said to me had Trikes??
How did you get them to do it so fast.??

- - - Updated - - -

I do what needs to be done. Checking my air filter isn't one of them if you get my meaning.

Talked to Bruno in service at the Sunrise Blvd Location, told him I couldn't leave the bike & he just made it happen the day after I called. They don't get many trikes so the Tech printed the whole Recall to have it available. Wouldn't let me into the service area but all was could watch thru a window. They are anxious to get the recall business. Must be good $$ for them.

Broward did the recall at the Sunrise dealership??
Mines a Motor Trike kit and they wanted me to take it to Palm Beach???
No big deal as its 20 minutes away.
A few months back I called the Sunrise dealership and they knew nothing about Motor Trikes parts.
From what I understand in Motor Trike bikes. They will build it if ordered. They don't stock any premade.
Which is a heck of a way to NOT sell something.

- - - Updated - - -

Jay, I hear you loud and clear on that air filter. Man, I'm just not digging in there.

We have an air filter on this bike??
Just kidding but crap to get at it. Very poor choice for its placement.
I lived with the PIA filter on my Valkerie. This bike its just not going to happen.
Thankfully here its also pretty much a nonissue.
I haven't found the snot tube yet though. Must be on the left side under some plastic someplace????

GW brake recall

Jay,
Yep! At the Sunrise location. I just told them it was a trike, didn't mention it was a Roadsmith. Their Service Dept was eager to do more trikes that's what they told me. Was it the service dept that u talked to? Another thought, they won't work on any parts that were added when the bike was triked and according to any info I've seen, they don't need to. My link (fr/rear), as to the brakes were disabled when triked. They just made me aware of that fact which I knew after talking to Roadsmith.

Last edited:
Jay,
Yep! At the Sunrise location. I just told them it was a trike, didn't mention it was a Roadsmith. Their Service Dept was eager to do more trikes that's what they told me. Was it the service dept that u talked to? Another thought, they won't work on any parts that were added when the bike was triked and according to any info I've seen, they don't need to. My link (fr/rear), as to the brakes were disabled when triked. They just made me aware of that fact which I knew after talking to Roadsmith.

Im almost shocked. I called the Sunrise location and just asked for the service manager. I was transferred to 2 different guys. None of them had a clue when I said MotorTrike?? This was back in Sept for something else.
They are listed on MTs sight as a dealer.......I ended up taking a ride on a Saturday to the Palm Beach store, talked to Tim who has a separate office area and waiting room from the rest and he said. " 2 others have been on the phone and I was number 3". He said he would have to talk to Honda and get back to me. He did. Then I called after New Years and made arrangements for me to take it in on Feb 12th and to stay with the bike as long as it takes. Ive never been to Sunrise or Palm Beach so I had no clue what to expect.

GL1800 brake recall

Well Feb 12 isn't that far away. I parked my trike on a slight grade, pumped the fr & rr brakes several times & the trike coasted free, I don't think I even needed the upgrade but it did include a total brake (ff & rr) flush with dot 4 fluid, so it was worth the wait. That was due. Let me know how you make out. Also any one buying your bike can go to the Honda Site & confirm the safety recall was completed. Trading it, any dealer should check the VIN also. It's illegal for a dealer to sell a unit that is included in a Safety Recall but has not been completed. So mayas get it done!

Brakes

I'm in kind of a dilemma also. I don't want a Honda dealer messing with my trike, or the Motor Trike installer either.

Brakes work fine and I am 100% sure if I had either work on the recall, I would be back there again and again, and more likely either would screw something else up.

Suppose the dealer would just give me the parts? snicker...

I got the recall as well and took the Trike to Barrie On Ca Honda. Took them all day to do the changes but they did a great job with no extras I had to pay for. Honda allowed only 2.5 hours and yet they were at it for most of the day. Great Job Barrie Honda!

Well Feb 12 isn't that far away. I parked my trike on a slight grade, pumped the fr & rr brakes several times & the trike coasted free, I don't think I even needed the upgrade but it did include a total brake (ff & rr) flush with dot 4 fluid, so it was worth the wait. That was due. Let me know how you make out. Also any one buying your bike can go to the Honda Site & confirm the safety recall was completed. Trading it, any dealer should check the VIN also. It's illegal for a dealer to sell a unit that is included in a Safety Recall but has not been completed. So mayas get it done!

I for one am not really concerned that anything is or might happen to my trike. But it has happened so why not take advantage?
Other the a day out of my life wasted sitting around in a dealership.
Im using my Yamaha again and it feels good.
Ive always liked 2 wheels better then 3 anyway.
But for me as a commuter. A big yellow trike is better then a 100% almost invisible bike to the ancient drivers down here who see nothing. A lot cant even see over the dash board. Let alone use a mirror or turn their heads to look sideways while changing lanes.:p
So for me its an all-round safety issue that has to be taken care of.

my local dealer did an excellent job on the recall for my trike

my dealer in red deer did an excellent job. I normally do not post anything./ However if you have not had the recall done, you better do it before the dealers are swamped in the spring

Its official got my notice today.
2001-2012 Gl1800s are being recalled for the rear brake master and secondary cylinders.
They can cause rear brake dragging.
Now if you had the secondary replaced and paid for it yourself. Honda needs your receipts.
Unfortunately for me. It might be another 150 mile ride each way to Cowel Motorsports for the replacements.
I have zero faith in the 2 closer so called Motor Trike dealers near me.:AGGHH:
No way would the Honda dealer near me about 15 minutes away have a clue about MTs rear brake bleeding soooooo maybe I will at least talk to that Honda dealer 1st.

Made an appointment to have the recall taken care of a while back. I made sure they knew it was a trike and they told me not a problem. Took it in today and they looked at it and told me their understanding was was that they didn't need to do anything if the brakes weren't linked anymore. It's an HT Roadsmith so they aren't linked anymore. I'm not concerned but I thought Honda wanted the secondary changed out?

Made an appointment to have the recall taken care of a while back. I made sure they knew it was a trike and they told me not a problem. Took it in today and they looked at it and told me their understanding was was that they didn't need to do anything if the brakes weren't linked anymore. It's an HT Roadsmith so they aren't linked anymore. I'm not concerned but I thought Honda wanted the secondary changed out?

I was told by my Honda dealer that ALL Gl1800 were to have this recall done regardless of trike configuration. A lot of motorcycle dealerships do not like to work on trikes so they do their best to discourage owners.

Sounds like you need to find a dealer that isn't looking for excuses not to do the recall on your Roadsmith:xszpv::xszpv:

I was told by my Honda dealer that ALL Gl1800 were to have this recall done regardless of trike configuration. A lot of motorcycle dealerships do not like to work on trikes so they do their best to discourage owners.

Sounds like you need to find a dealer that isn't looking for excuses not to do the recall on your Roadsmith:xszpv::xszpv:

It's actually a good dealership with some good people. The confusion seems to be in the wording on Honda's part. If I remember correctly, it said something like if the smc hade fluid flow. It doesn't so that seems to be the hold up. I don't think the dealer was trying to get out of it but they wanted to make sure Honda would be paying them for the work. They have already done 75 or so bikes/trikes and had more than 50 on the list to do. He is still waiting on the Honda service rep to get back with him on the situation. I just wonder if Honda's goal is to make sure the smc are all removed or what?

It's actually a good dealership with some good people. The confusion seems to be in the wording on Honda's part. If I remember correctly, it said something like if the smc hade fluid flow. It doesn't so that seems to be the hold up. I don't think the dealer was trying to get out of it but they wanted to make sure Honda would be paying them for the work. They have already done 75 or so bikes/trikes and had more than 50 on the list to do. He is still waiting on the Honda service rep to get back with him on the situation. I just wonder if Honda's goal is to make sure the smc are all removed or what?

Here is a direct copy and paste quote from the dealer instructions.

If the vehicle is a trike conversion, or has a modified, disabled, or removed secondary master cylinder (SMC)
and the SMC is non-functional, note these facts on the R.O. and contact TechLine for further instructions.

It is my understanding that Hondas policy is that ALL SMC and rear master cylinders be replaced. I wish someone could get that straight from the horses mouth instead of via dealer/installers all over the country. I seems more like some of them are making their own rules but to be honest I don't know who.

Do you know for a fact that your dealer contacted the "TechLine"? I would be very interesting to know what Honda's real position is. :D If you pursue this please keep us updated.

Here is a direct copy and paste quote from the dealer instructions.

If the vehicle is a trike conversion, or has a modified, disabled, or removed secondary master cylinder (SMC)
and the SMC is non-functional, note these facts on the R.O. and contact TechLine for further instructions.

It is my understanding that Hondas policy is that ALL SMC and rear master cylinders be replaced. I wish someone could get that straight from the horses mouth instead of via dealer/installers all over the country. I seems more like some of them are making their own rules but to be honest I don't know who.

Do you know for a fact that your dealer contacted the "TechLine"? I would be very interesting to know what Honda's real position is. :D If you pursue this please keep us updated.

Yes, they did call the tech. line but there is some serious wait time to get someone. Like I said, the dealer is very reliable. I didn't mean to make them sound like they weren't. He said he would contact me when he has further instructions from Honda. I don't believe that he didn't want to do the work because as it stands right now, he has time invested but probably won't get paid for it. He and I looked over the service bulletin and I see were the concussion comes from. I think the word "flow" is the issue.