CT. DMV does not know what a trike is....

Jul 6, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Sound to me after talking to the CT DMV that reg. and getting a Stallion on the road in Connecticut is going to be a challenge. They told me they are sure it is not motorcycle and it does not meet safety standards of a car . No 5mph bumper, head rests and no airbags or seat belts.

Mike,
Do you know who you spoke to at the DMV? I guess they are the know it all government worker who knows what he or she is looking at??? Sounds like you may need to talk with someone at TBMS, I am sure they have delt with knuckle heads like this before. If you want to have a conversation with a know it all knuckle head maybe try asking them to show you where in the CT. state statutes that it defines what a motorcycle or Trike is? You may even want to let them know that even CA (based on my understanding) is even allowing registration of Stallions as trikes (which is a motorcycle with three wheels). If they are having a hard time counting to three, you may want to poke them in the eye with two fingers, and let them know the amount of fingers you have left on your hand equal three, the number of tires on a trike:yes:
But seriously, just get them to put it in writting telling you you are not able to register your stallion, have them include the serial number too. I am sure as soon as you ask them to put anything in writting they will fold like a cheap suit. Let us know how it works out for you.

Your right on the money Mattel….

I had the similar problem trying to register the Stallion in CA. TBMS stood behind their product and took the extra steps to contact CA Highway Patrol and CA DMV. Don’t really know what was said to DMV but TBMS gave me a POC at CA DMV to work with. I dropped off all the original DMV paperwork they sent back and got my title in two weeks. They apologized up one side and down the other for the hassles I was having. I spent over 19 hrs in DMV offices over 90 day and lost 2 day of work. Do I think it will happen again…. Yes. If anyone in CA has a problem send me a PM and I will give you a POC in DMV who know how to process a Stallion. The Local DMV office will need to call them.

CA has a trike well defined at DMV. At one time we could register a trike as a car or a motorcycle, but not anymore. A trike, (3 wheels) is now a motorcycle. As a trike you do not need a motorcycle license (go figure). If you do not have a motorcycle license you (I) could not afford the insurance, if they would insure it at all. My wife does not have a motorcycle license, it would cost me over $5000 a year to add her as a second driver on Stallion. A motorcycle license is much cheaper.

The problem I had in CA was with the emission control and VIN number on the vehicle inspection. They were applying the auto standards to a motorcycle, and a voluntary antitheft program that auto dealers support.

FYI… Rumor has it in 2012 CA starts Emission testing motorcycles the same as cars….. Hang on to those CAT Converters. They will hit my diesel truck in Nov this year.

That is a good thing. Anywhere here in Texas it is. They charge registration fees based on the VIN. VIN is for a motorcycle so I paid blue book value for a 2006 Goldwing motorcycle, not for a 2006 Goldwing trike.

Figured I saved about $400 in registration fees. :no:

i also had difficulty reg. mine in Ca. Spent several hours at DMV trying to get a VIN verification. They wanted to see a stamped number on the engine. They had no idea what they were looking at. In disgust I left. Good thing I have friends in the Law enforcement field that performed a VIN verification for me. Took the signed forms back to DMV, done deal.....:no:

After i get thru this trike testing I will get to the stallion issue . One thing at a time. they gave me trouble about the closed in part of the Stallion. your feet are inside . U say 3 is a trike automatically . Not true. there are plenty of 3 wheeled cars. Google 3 wheel cars from China and see ,

John,
There may be three wheel cars in China, and other countries, but we are just talking about the USA. As you pointed out before, those same three wheel cars you are referencing would not pass the US safety standards for cars, therefore, if you wanted to register one of them in the US you would have to do so as a trike.

In Washington State the legislature revised their laws regarding 3-wheeled vehicles in late July, 2009 (just before my wife & I bought our Stallion). At that time the state decreed that all 3-wheeled vehicles would be registered as motorcycles, but applied 3 provisos as to whether or not a (3-wheel) motorcycle endorsement was required for operation:

1) Rig was fully or partially enclosed
2) Rig was operated by a steering wheel
3) Rig was equipped by the factory with "DOT-standard" seat belts

Wanna guess which proviso was the disqualifying one?

Momma & I had to get our "3-wheel" motorcycle endorsements in order to legally enjoy ours in WA (although, Momma got to ride it home from Sturgis after purchase w/o benefit of licensing whilst I rode the 'Wing home).

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom Wallen
Back