Cruise control does not work after conversion

NJMike

60+ Posts
Aug 30, 2023
Hackettstown, NJ, USA
First, let me say that my problem could be entirely coincidental that the cruise control on my 2021 GW DCT Tour has stopped working correctly after the CSC conversion. Having said that…

The cruise control has worked for over two years without a single malfunction. So it seems like a possibility that a major change to a trike may have caused the issue.

The cruise control system can be turned on and off normally. But it disengages at random times and road conditions, i.e. uphill, downhill, level. The “system” stays on but disengages. I can usually resume but sometimes I cannot either resume or set.

There is also a “scratchy” or “staticky” sound coming from the right rear light area when the foot brake is depressed just enough to trigger the brake lights. The brake lights flicker in sync with this sound. If I depress the brake further the sound stops and the lights are normal. This sound does not occur on the left side nor does it occur when the front hand brake is used.

I am in communication with Will on the problem. Anyone have this happen after your CSC conversion and if so, what did you do?

Thanks,

Mike

First, let me say that my problem could be entirely coincidental that the cruise control on my 2021 GW DCT Tour has stopped working correctly after the CSC conversion. Having said that…

The cruise control has worked for over two years without a single malfunction. So it seems like a possibility that a major change to a trike may have caused the issue.

The cruise control system can be turned on and off normally. But it disengages at random times and road conditions, i.e. uphill, downhill, level. The “system” stays on but disengages. I can usually resume but sometimes I cannot either resume or set.

There is also a “scratchy” or “staticky” sound coming from the right rear light area when the foot brake is depressed just enough to trigger the brake lights. The brake lights flicker in sync with this sound. If I depress the brake further the sound stops and the lights are normal. This sound does not occur on the left side nor does it occur when the front hand brake is used.

I am in communication with Will on the problem. Anyone have this happen after your CSC conversion and if so, what did you do?

Thanks,

Mike

If the brake light flickers or goes on and off that will disengage the cruise control.. sounds like there’s a loose wire somewhere???

My wife followed me in her car. The cruise control disengaged twice in the first 5 miles. Both times she saw the brake lights flicker. Of course, I did not hit the brakes. So does this mean I should adjust that microswitch?

That would be a good starting point

It’s easy to adjust that switch. But I wasn’t able to accomplish anything in the garage. The right rear light still makes the scratchy sound regardless of where I adjusted the brake switch. The right rear light assembly isn’t the problem, because if it was it would make the same scratchy sound when the front brake lever was pulled. I want to say that maybe that rear brake switch is bad…but why would that go bad because of the trike conversion. It worked fine before the conversion. I am assuming that since the “scratchy” sound remains that it still isn’t fixed. But I can’t know that for sure without test riding.

Can that rear brake microswitch be removed and cleaned? It looks like I’d have to remove the plastic cover (2 screws) and then there’s a “lock wire” that holds the switch to the plug.

It’s easy to adjust that switch. But I wasn’t able to accomplish anything in the garage. The right rear light still makes the scratchy sound regardless of where I adjusted the brake switch. The right rear light assembly isn’t the problem, because if it was it would make the same scratchy sound when the front brake lever was pulled.

I want to say that maybe that rear brake switch is bad…but why would that go bad because of the trike conversion. It worked fine before the conversion. I am assuming that since the “scratchy” sound remains that it still isn’t fixed. But I can’t know that for sure without test riding. Can that rear brake microswitch be removed and cleaned? It looks like I’d have to remove the plastic cover (2 screws) and then there’s a “lock wire” that holds the switch to the plug.

Mike,

The only ocassion where I have experianced the issue you described was corrected by adjusting the rear brake microswitch, but there may be some other cause.

I'm not understanding the "scratchy sound" coming from the light. Anyone have any thoughts on that issue?

I adjusted the brake switch, went on a 40 mile ride and it worked perfectly! I intentionally loosened the switch, probably more than I needed to, and will tighten it back up a little at a time and test ride.

Good to hear that fixed it for you.

I would like to post pics but again, I have no icons allowing me to add pics or anything else.

I use Imgur - free photos. Put your pictures there. Once there, open the file and use post to message boards.

This works well for me.

kAY6FK9.jpg

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eddienorman
Back