How Hot Does The Inside Of Your Trunk Get?

JTJersey

800+ Posts
Gold Member
Jul 2, 2021
Millville NJ USA
Not being able to ride on this beautiful 90[FONT=Liberation Serif, serif]º[/FONT] day I got to wondering just how hot my battery jumper, laptop etc get inside my trunk when I'm traveling. So I did a (somewhat) scientific test with a (somewhat) scientific thermometer. And I have pictures. :) The sensor was put in the trunk on the bottom center and the lid shut. The first check was around Noon in my garage and surprisingly the inside of the trunk was 23[FONT=Liberation Serif, serif]º[/FONT] cooler that the outside air. Wasn't expecting that. Checked again around 1:30PM and got the same results. Took it outside in the sun and checked it around 2:00PM. Although it got hotter inside the trunk it was still 45[FONT=Liberation Serif, serif]º[/FONT] cooler than the outside air. I'm rather pleased and it appears that it is way cooler IN the trunk than OUT. I have no explanation as to why.

Sensor.jpg In Garage 2.jpg In Garage 4.jpg Outside 2.jpg

I have never checked the temp, I am glad to see you did, now we know

I have left my cell phone in my trunk on 2 trips to Mn and did not have any problems, that said the trunks are pretty air and water tight IMO

Thanks for posting your findings, if I could find the neighbors cat I could report on how hot it gets :p

I was going to hook up the thermometer and take a ride to check effects of exhaust, etc, on the trunk interior temps, but I noticed some rather bizarre readings on that unit this morning. The battery was showing the beginning signs of leaking and I think it would be best to DISREGARD MY INITIAL READINGS for the time being. My apologies for the possibly erroneous observations. I'll post back when I get better equipment.

I was going to hook up the thermometer and take a ride to check effects of exhaust, etc, on the trunk interior temps, but I noticed some rather bizarre readings on that unit this morning. The battery was showing the beginning signs of leaking and I think it would be best to DISREGARD MY INITIAL READINGS for the time being. My apologies for the possibly erroneous observations. I'll post back when I get better equipment.

Hopefully not too long before you get the information . You’ll have us hanging on tender hooks 🪝 till then 😉

You better hurry, the neighbors cat is in my trunk and I do not hear him meowing :p

Got a couple of separate thermometers and they indicate that the temps in the trunk are within a couple of degrees +/- of outside temps. Jack, better let that cat out. I'm thinking I'd better delete that entire first post in case somebody down through the years comes across it and gets the wrong idea. What do you suppose the best way to do that is?

Got a couple of separate thermometers and they indicate that the temps in the trunk are within a couple of degrees +/- of outside temps. Jack, better let that cat out. I'm thinking I'd better delete that entire first post in case somebody down through the years comes across it and gets the wrong idea. What do you suppose the best way to do that is?

You might click on the post and edit it, lower rs of post is an edit button

Once you click edit, move up to the last line of the text body, use your backspace button to begin removing the text

The cat is OK:cool:

Let it stay…… if somebody gets the wrong idea that’s their problem not yours..

Not being able to ride on this beautiful 90º day I got to wondering just how hot my battery jumper, laptop etc get inside my trunk when I'm traveling. So I did a (somewhat) scientific test with a (somewhat) scientific thermometer. And I have pictures. :) The sensor was put in the trunk on the bottom center and the lid shut. The first check was around Noon in my garage and surprisingly the inside of the trunk was 23º cooler that the outside air. Wasn't expecting that. Checked again around 1:30PM and got the same results. Took it outside in the sun and checked it around 2:00PM. Although it got hotter inside the trunk it was still 45º cooler than the outside air. I'm rather pleased and it appears that it is way cooler IN the trunk than OUT. I have no explanation as to why.

View attachment 113651 View attachment 113652 View attachment 113653 View attachment 113654

👍..

You might click on the post and edit it, lower rs of post is an edit button

Once you click edit, move up to the last line of the text body, use your backspace button to begin removing the text

The cat is OK:cool:

My ability to edit or delete my posts appears to be gone. Has it been too long maybe?

Update, I let the cat out of the trunk :p

Bet he was pissed……

And that remembers me about the joke about who loves you more: Is it your wife or your dog..And the best way to find out is to lock both of them in the trunk of your car for about an hour..And then when you let them out’ See which one is happy to see you..😁.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eddienorman
Back