Half way on the stick cold or hot?

Just installed a vented dipstick and followed the instructions to the tee.

I already had a vented bypass on the throttle body to a catch can.

Went for a ride yesterday, and today when I went out to the trike there

was oil on the garage floor under the filter vent from the vented dipstick.

I checked the oil and it was halfway up on the stick, granted it was cold. So I took it out for a ride to get the oil hot and checked it again it was 3 dots down from full, I can't figure out what is causing the oil to come out of the vented dipstick, I thought halfway was the magic mark. Do you guys have any ideas what could be happening?

Just installed a vented dipstick and followed the instructions to the tee.

I already had a vented bypass on the throttle body to a catch can.

Went for a ride yesterday, and today when I went out to the trike there

was oil on the garage floor under the filter vent from the vented dipstick.

I checked the oil and it was halfway up on the stick, granted it was cold. So I took it out for a ride to get the oil hot and checked it again it was 3 dots down from full, I can't figure out what is causing the oil to come out of the vented dipstick, I thought halfway was the magic mark. Do you guys have any ideas what could be happening?

That is a good oil level...it could stand to be a little lower...you may find that running between the low mark and the center will alleviate your oil dripping.

IF it does not, I would do a leakdown test to see if you are experiencing excessive crankcase pressure.

Here is a video on leakdown tests.

Kevin

Who told you half way was the magic mark? The Magic Dipstick Fairy? Full hot is right on the factory stick. Take out the vented stick and replace it with the factory one and see if it still.pukes oil. If not take that vented dipstick and throw it into a river. And stop falling for trick bullshit.

What year bike are we talking about here?

Has it always used some oil?

Do you let it run for a minute or 2 before shutting it off?

The trike is a 2022 with about 2000 miles on it. No I don't let it run for long before I shut it off. After about 1000 miles I checked the bypass catch can and there was a little oil and water mixture in it, this was before I installed the vented dipstick.

That is a good oil level...it could stand to be a little lower...you may find that running between the low mark and the center will alleviate your oil dripping.

IF it does not, I would do a leakdown test to see if you are experiencing excessive crankcase pressure.

Here is a video on leakdown tests.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin, I'm going to take a little oil out of it and see if it stops, maybe it's a little high.

The trike is a 2022 with about 2000 miles on it. No I don't let it run for long before I shut it off. After about 1000 miles I checked the bypass catch can and there was a little oil and water mixture in it, this was before I installed the vented dipstick.

Runnin a couple of minutes lets the oil pump scavenge oil from the crank case back to the oil pan, 2000 miles, it is possible your rings are not yet fully seated

You have the latest oil pump, so that can be ruled out as a problem

Keep your eye on the oil level, drop it down a couple dots below the cold half way mark and report back

ROTFLMAO :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Good one...sad thing is, it is not so far from the truth these days with some folks. eeek :xzqxz:

Kevin

TRUTH. My son just graduated high school and has been working at a local auto parts store. Some of the things he comes home and tells me about customers really make me wonder if humanity has any hope.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flyboy7312
Back