Beef up supports for CSC Cobra Ground Effects

Do you have to take running boards off to put bracket on ??

- - - Updated - - -

Also, how much weight will boards support now ??

You do not have to remove the running boards to install the bracket.

I saw somewhere that CSC stated that the Ground Effects on the newer Cobra, Cobra XL and Viper will support 700lbs.

I just ordered the bracket an hour ago.
1 Did you just put an identical piece under the board for support ?
2 Was top 1/8 and bottom 1/4 ?
3 Did it make a difference in support ?

thanx

I just ordered the bracket an hour ago.
1 Did you just put an identical piece under the board for support ?
2 Was top 1/8 and bottom 1/4 ?
3 Did it make a difference in support ?

thanx

The idea is to stiffen the running boards and to keep the mounting bolts from pulling through the fiberglass.

For the front mounts; I put a 1/8th inch aluminum plate. I tried to pick-up as much area as possible. This helped a lot.

For the middle mounts; I put some Diamond Plate in the foot well. I found the Diamond Plate at Home Depot. It appears to be a little thinner then 1/8th inch. I used the rubber pad that was in the foot well as a pattern.

The new middle mount helps a lot, but on mine anyway, the fiberglass is thin and it worked more then I liked. The Diamond Plate makes a big difference.

For the rear mounts; I used larger washers where the running boards mount to the rear fenders. Probably didn't need to do this, but just wanted to be sure.

I tried 1/4 aluminum plates under the ground effect's, but learned they were just to thick. I went with a 1/8 thick plate that is formed to the bottom of the ground effects ( from the front mount to 6 inches behind the middle mount ). The metal shop cut and bent the aluminum as required. I did place a few drops of Black RTV ( to prevent any possible vibrating ) under my diamond plate inserts and then drilled 1/4 inch holes and used carriage bolts with locking nylon nuts. I then sandwiched the ground effects between the diamond plate and the formed aluminum on the bottom. I am still working on the foot beg design. I will post pics on those when finished. I did get the beg bases done ( 1/4 inch steel ) and have went with a Kuryakyn peg mounts and pegs for a cleaner look (more chrome). The pegs will still fold to the rear when not needed allowing me to stretch my legs out on the highway.ThumbUp

Robval87: On the large plate where your feet go, do you have 2 bolts to CSC support and 2 other just for plates ?

The underside plate that goes from the light to the foot plate is one piece ?
Couldn't you just get longer bolts to fit the 1/4 plate ?

Robval87: On the large plate where your feet go, do you have 2 bolts to CSC support and 2 other just for plates ?

The underside plate that goes from the light to the foot plate is one piece ?
Couldn't you just get longer bolts to fit the 1/4 plate ?

I found out that after I mounted the new middle mount and tried to swing it up to the Ground Effects that the 1/4 inch plate was just to thick and was causing me to push up on the Ground Effects to get the bolts thru the mount. I did use the new hardware that came with the middle mount, 2 tapered bolts on each side go thru the Ground Effects, thru the 1/8 inch plate and then thru the middle mount. I then did four additional carriage bolts 1 in each corner area thru the Diamond Plate, Ground Effects and Aluminum Plate on the bottom and then tightened it down with a nylon lock nut. This process was done at the Front Mount (using existing hardware) and the small area behind the Middle Mount (single carriage bolt in the middle of the Diamond Plate). See pic below, enlarge to see better..

pic 14 with drawing.jpgThumbUp

Thanx, pic's explain alot.
Did you take off the original center bracket support ?
I don't see it where you notched out the plate.

Thanx, pic's explain alot.
Did you take off the original center bracket support ?
I don't see it where you notched out the plate.

No I did not use the original Center Mount. CSC rep. advised that it was no longer needed and that the new Middle Mount was all that was needed. I might replace the Diamond Plate (without the cut for the original bracket)ThumbUp

I just got my GFX mid mount. Without getting trike up in air, I do not see how this will support anything mounting underneath.
1 Where is the support when you put your feet on ground affects ?
2 How is it braced underneath ?You would think you would need the original middle support.

I did not get any instructions. I just sent them email.

3 Did you use the two front mounting bolts to go thru both plates ?

thanx
ljs

Found this on ebay for brake pedal, think this will work ??

[h=1]Details about Honda GL1200 Rear Brake Pedal GL 1200 Interstate Goldwing 1984 - 1986 on ebay[/h]http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-GL1200-Rear-Brake-Pedal-GL-1200-Interstate-Goldwing-1984-1986-/221391402120?_trksid=p2054897.l4276

Think this will work

Found this on ebay for brake pedal, think this will work ??

Details about Honda GL1200 Rear Brake Pedal GL 1200 Interstate Goldwing 1984 - 1986 on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-GL120...984-1986-/221391402120?_trksid=p2054897.l4276

Think this will work

That brake pedal looks well used. There are better ones out there. You only need the GL1200 brake pedal if you are going with the Comfort Controls, which lowers the controls down 1 inch and forward 3 inches. If you are not installing the Comfort Controls you can still use the GL1800 brake pedal.

I just got my GFX mid mount. Without getting trike up in air, I do not see how this will support anything mounting underneath.
1 Where is the support when you put your feet on ground affects ?
2 How is it braced underneath ?You would think you would need the original middle support.

I did not get any instructions. I just sent them email.

3 Did you use the two front mounting bolts to go thru both plates ?

thanx
ljs

Here is a link to the instructions for the Ground Effects.

http://www.californiasidecar.com/downloads/Cobra_GRD_EFX.pdf

robval87:
1 Did you use the two front mounting bolts by lights to go thru both plates ?
2 What type of metal bolts and nuts did you use ?
3 I understand steel and zinc react to aluminum.
4 I plan to use 3 individual pieces on top and 1 piece bent to shape on the bottom - I hope.
5 Thought about using just one piece for top and one for bottom - did you think about it ??
6 Looks like you can not use the original middle support due to where new support is located, is that true ?
7 Can you get under it to do these mods if you use car ramps ?

thanx
ljs

robval87:
1 Did you use the two front mounting bolts by lights to go thru both plates ?
2 What type of metal bolts and nuts did you use ?
3 I understand steel and zinc react to aluminum.
4 I plan to use 3 individual pieces on top and 1 piece bent to shape on the bottom - I hope.
5 Thought about using just one piece for top and one for bottom - did you think about it ??
6 Looks like you can not use the original middle support due to where new support is located, is that true ?
7 Can you get under it to do these mods if you use car ramps ?

thanx
ljs

1. Yes I did.
2. I used chrome hardware that I purchased at Ace Hardware.
3. Unsure.
4. That's what I did.
5. Yes, but I like the way that the individual plates look with the black liner breaking it up.
6. That is what I understood from CSC Rep. (plus there was not enough room for org. bracket.)
7. Yes that is how I get under mine, I back up onto ramps and then jack up the front.
(Remember your reverse may not be strong enough to back up onto the ramps by it's
self, so I always assist my Trike by standing off to the side as I push the reverse button and have someone lightly push from the front.)ThumbUp

pic16.jpg

Robval87:
Thanx for responding to all my questions.

Couple more and I should be done: Did you use any thing under the top pieces like rubber gasket stuff, calking or even rubber spline ?
Was thinking of for some reason to keep water from settling under pieces when washing or drill hole(s) to drain ?

I can not get the bolts out to take kick stand off. I about pull trike off ramps and no luck.

any ideas ??????

I have no real experience when it comes to removing the center stand. The only thing I can think of that might be a problem is that the bolt on the right hand side has a left hand thread and the bolt on the left side has a right hand thread.

FYI on original support in middle of ground affects.
I cut about 1 1/2" off the bracket underneath and it will fit. It really helps make it more
solid especially with the aluminum underneath.

FYI on original support in middle of ground affects.
I cut about 1 1/2" off the bracket underneath and it will fit. It really helps make it more
solid especially with the aluminum underneath.

That is good info! Does seem like it would benefit from some added support in that area. Not sure that will work on mine, b'cuz it has the Comfort Controls. Am looking at making a bracket for it.

Sure enjoying having my feet on the running boards rather then the foot pegs. Last year my crotch would go to sleep in the first hour of riding. Last weekend, wife and I, spent about four hours in the saddle without any problem.

BTW: Tried to respond to your PM, but it bounced back.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gyl
Back