What did you do to your Trike this week?

No luck skuuter!
Had a new alternator put in, shop (not my regular) told me the tabs on the fairing were broken and it was going to cost me $500 for the lower fairing. Tabs were not broken when I went in because they were holding my air wings. No since in arguing with them, since I didn't see the work being done. OK, brought the trike home.
All the wiring which connects various items, like my XM radio, my night lights, in both left and right pockets were disconnected and because they didn't rout the the same way, I had a hard time turning the handlebars in tight turns...AAARRGGHH...
So, I had to do the wiring all over from the pocket to the items, like I had them before. Took me a couple of hours to do, should have charge them for my time.
They also lost a piece of the right pocket lock mechanism inside the fairing so they had to order another one, couldn't say it was gone, because it was working.
Now comes the difficult item, how to fix those tabs so I don't have to spend $500 on a lower fairing, for two little plastic tabs. I took two dry wall push rods which open as soon as they go through to hold various item. I reverse the screws so the long stud was sticking out with the tabs being held open. Since the fairing holes were not big enough to stick the folded tabs through, I ran a wire through the holes and electrical taped the end to the stud to the wire, so I could bring it through the holes. Needed Janice to hold the studs while I ran a nut on the screw so they wouldn't fall through the hole back into the fairing.
Put the lower fairing back together again. Made sure the open dry wall tabs were below the broken tabs so when you screw the air wings on they were holding on the the back of the broken tab. Made sure the screw were longer than needed so I had room to work. Screwed the air wings on tight using blue lock tight to make sure the nut would not back out. It held on great. Took a small file and cut the screws off so the chrome cap would lock on.
Did a short ride one day, then a 200+ miles the next day and they are still tight. SAVED $500 and it cost me my labor (2 hours) and $7 in parts.
A little home engineering and sometimes it pays off!

Rosy

I bought a set of MBL Risers for short people and now I need to get the courage to put them on.
I need to review past members dealing with putting the risers on and get their advise on what I should do and what not to do.
I do have a new thing in the installation, you don't have to cut the plastic trim piece any more, now you put 3/4 spacers in with longer screws.
So, now I wait for the advise from members. I have Goldrush's advise already.

Rosy

I have made new tabs using JB Weld. Wish you too photos of the process. Others can use it.

I've had mine back just a week after being converted. Mostly I rode it and really like it except for the 27 mpg.
I installed the stealth armrests today, new spark plugs, waxed it, installed the tour pak hinge upgrades, and the mid-frame air deflectors.
Oh yeah, checked the tire pressures. Also bought a bicycle leg wrap for my wife so her rain gear won't touch the hot exhaust pipe on our upcoming trip.
Rode today for 2+ hours, no issues from my wife who has back issues. I think it's a keeper!

Installed Flat Black ceramic coated Remus headers, more wheel bling, installed RadGuard and modified mudguard, tuned mufflers, color matched BMW roundels.
099_zps243aad86.jpg133_zps42b822cc.jpgDSCF0662_zps126420b7.jpgDSCF0666_zps16ac707c.jpgDSCF0661_zpsacb9b99d.jpg

Here is what it looks like with the spacer and longer 5mm screws. No cutting needed.
Thanks to Kennyd for the picture.

Rosy

- - - Updated - - -

WOW, you have done some work on that BMW! Did you noticed more power from your new pipes?
Bling is always nice, makes it your Baby!
Great pictures, Thanks.

Rosy

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
WOW, you have done some work on that BMW! Did you noticed more power from your new pipes?
Bling is always nice, makes it your Baby!
Great pictures, Thanks.

Rosy
Remus claims about 20 Ft lbs. torque increase, No HP change, but installed mainly to reduce high temperature to left foot while riding, which it does very well. Thanks

This weekend, I actually RODE it! :pepper:

Been out of the saddle since the 11th recovering from hernia surgery. I'm all healed up and back on the road again! :D

Well, living in Texas, I don't have to store the trike, ride it year around. So I did have it serviced last winter, changed to Amsoil, was nervous, but all worked out well. My trike is a 96 Aspencade and I was worried about changing such an old engine. But I worked out ok, Used about 1/2 quart the first 2,000 miles, but nothing since. Then Last week I had the front Brake pads and the left caliper replaced. Looking at another service in about 4000 miles. Am figuring 7,000 per change? I have heard of going 12 to 15,000 with Amsoil, but that worries me. Anyway, that is about it.

Well, living in Texas, I don't have to store the trike, ride it year around. So I did have it serviced last winter, changed to Amsoil, was nervous, but all worked out well. My trike is a 96 Aspencade and I was worried about changing such an old engine. But I worked out ok, Used about 1/2 quart the first 2,000 miles, but nothing since. Then Last week I had the front Brake pads and the left caliper replaced. Looking at another service in about 4000 miles. Am figuring 7,000 per change? I have heard of going 12 to 15,000 with Amsoil, but that worries me. Anyway, that is about it.

Morin' Jack. AMSOIL says we can double the manufacture's recommended oil change interval. Your GL1500 is the same as my GL1800 -- 8,000 miles. No way am I going to do 16K. I change mine at 10K. Oil is a personal choice. If you are comfortable at 7K then that is your number.

Got an estimate for damage on trike from multi car collision. Person talking on cell phone didn't see us stopped. $2900 for the job.

Rosy

Don't take long to spend $3,000 on repairs does it Rosy? Gonna be fixed by Rally time I hope.

We are going away for a while, while we are gone, the body shop will take the trike and fix it. Then store it in a climate control garage with his fleet of "old" cars which he has. Nice or what.
We should be ready for the rally!
See you in a few weeks, John!

Rosy

Put a set of MBL Risers on today, for short people. Haven't tried them yet, but will in a while. Let you know how they are. No cutting the plastic, with longer bolts and 3/4" shims. Start to finish.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    439.4 KB · Views: 125
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    539.9 KB · Views: 99
If that's the case, I'll ask Janice for a blood transfusion. It would be great to be able to tolerate the heat better. Never could even as a kid. :Shrug: ;)

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flyboy7312
Back