Wards Fans runtime after shutdown

Zammy

Gold Member
Gold Member
Jan 15, 2015
W. Florida
Got the fans all wired in today and tested them out for the first time, probably took about 15 minutes before they kicked on, it was 85 out today. When we got home I shut everything on the bike down and waited for the fans to cycle off, seemed to take a long time but it was around 13-14 minutes. Is this about normal for those of you that are running Wards?

Got the fans all wired in today and tested them out for the first time, probably took about 15 minutes before they kicked on, it was 85 out today. When we got home I shut everything on the bike down and waited for the fans to cycle off, seemed to take a long time but it was around 13-14 minutes. Is this about normal for those of you that are running Wards?

Sounds about right. Sometimes less.

Glad to hear this. I guess I'll go with Love Juggs instead - unless they do the same thing. No way am I going to leave my bike with something running for 15 minutes.

Any reports on Love Juggs???

Gary Love Jugs don't use a thermal switch. When you shut the power off depending on how you wire it they are off. The thermal switch is used on the Wards fans, but you don't have to use it. You can wire them to shut off with a manual switch or how ever. The thermal switch is user installed in the power feed.

I have the Wards Fans with the manual switch. If it is warm and dry I flip them on. When I stop, I let them run a bit before I shut them off.

I have forgotten to shut them off and come out hours later and they were still running. They don't use that much power.

The only time I've had a problem was on my Softail. I let them run for a day and a half (forgot to shut them off), and the battery was drained enough that it would not crank.

Kevin

Thanks for the replies fellas, I might have the fans a little too far away from the heads. When I installed them they were about 1/16 inch away from the heads, way too close. I had a heck of time getting 2 wrenches on the bracket to give it a little bend but finally got them where I thought they should be, I can put a finger between the fans and heads now, probably about 1/2", I think they'll be alright.

I had mine 1/2" away abd Jason said that was not good they needed to be close like the instructions say. He told me on days the bike is hot and the outside temp is above 90 his has run for about 45 minutes. They only draw 2.4 amps.

I had mine 1/2" away abd Jason said that was not good they needed to be close like the instructions say. He told me on days the bike is hot and the outside temp is above 90 his has run for about 45 minutes. They only draw 2.4 amps.

Tnx for that Mike, may have to make a 're-adjustment'

Glad to hear this. I guess I'll go with Love Juggs instead - unless they do the same thing. No way am I going to leave my bike with something running for 15 minutes.

Any reports on Love Juggs???

Couple things about live juggs. First if you have the water cooled heads the frame mount for the jugs is less then .125" from the water lines. I did not like that because I was afraid they would rub through those lines so I returned mine. Second is looks. I have had many people tell me how much better the wards fans blend in with the engine. If you come up on a harley with love Juggs all you see is love juggs.2016-07-19 11.29.06.jpg

I've come in after a high speed (70 mph) freeway ride on an 85° day and my Wards fans have run for 20 minutes after engine off. I wrote to Jason and he said that's normal and that in Arizona where he lives they may run for over 30 minutes. Cools the heads down and doesn't look like a pair of chrome sauce pans like Love Juggs.

I just installed the Wards Werks fans, so I haven't had time to really test them yet, just one short ride after we got it all hooked up. I've got a PowerVision that I have displaying the engine temperature, so I can see when it turned on and off. I'm pretty sure that won't be too consistent because of air temperature, traffic, etc., but I'm hoping it will help cool the beast down. Didn't really think of how long it took to turn off because we were watching the temperature drop on the PowerVision and it turned off on this first test ride at about 150 degrees. I "think" it came on at around 230 degrees, but not positive.

I saw a coolmaster love jugs on display at a bike show. They were running I was not that impressed with the volume of air it produced and to be honest with you they were ugly.they only give you a 1 year warranty. Wards fans come with a 2 year warranty. A fan that only drains a few amps is not going to hurt a battery. Jason has tested his products for several years and it is a great product made by a retired soldier. If you don't want to run in the cool down turn the switch off that is mounted on the fan for me just let it run 15-20 min it isn't going to hurt a thing

Just got back from a 2 day trip in 95* plus temps both days. I decided the cost and need for fans is not needed. Going to take that money and upgrade from Stage I audio to Stage II audio instead. ThumbUp

I agree that the Wards fans are a lot better looking.....not so big.

I had the option of using a toggle switch and the thermal switch. So if I didn't want to run the fans I could turn off the fans manually or just let the thermal do its job.. :D

Last week we rode two up in 90+ heat for about and hourat around 50-60 mph.<o:p></o:p>
When we stopped the fans ran for about 5-10 secondsand shut off. So far the longest run time has been maybe a minute or two. Is itpossible that with my 1-1/2" tank lift and the wind deflector under thetriple tree that I am getting good air flow and they only run intermittently?<o:p></o:p>
I do run cams a good decatted exhaust and tuner, sothat may also help as it's not as lean as stock so runs cooler. Just curious asI saw some people see run times of<o:p></o:p>
5-10 minutes after shutting the trike off.
Wondering if anyone else has had similar results?

NH bagger I doubt that would lesson the time on the cool down. I put about 1/16 inch bead on the switch very little oozed from around the switch. im guessing you put too much rtv on the switch causing it not to make good contact with the head or you have a bad thermal switch. once again mine is right at 20 min. or so on a 95 degree day

Have had my Wards fans installed for a little over a couple years now and love 'em. Run the fans in conjunction with a Jagg oil cooling system and hardly see the north side of 180*. Also installed the DK Products 2" lift so getting a lot more air flow over the heads. The pic was taken before the tank lift was installed.

Just for kicks I looked at the Love Juggs display at Sturgis this year and they do look like sauce pans handing from the bottom on the tank. The fellow manning the booth didn't to talk about the pro and cons of their fans vs the Wards setup.

The Wards fans from a cosmetic standpoint blend in more with the motor and the biggest plus for the Wards fans is Customer Service....Jason is at the top of my list along with the guys at DK Custom Products.

8~\o

Attachments

• Wards fans.JPG
    Wards fans.JPG
    679.4 KB · Views: 119

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Tool
Back