Voyager Kits

Well today I just completed putting on the VIP mutazu trunk. Well ran into a small problem. Cannot open side bags... Now to decide what to do...

Any suggestions?

I guess I can try to and 6x6 wood under the trunk to raise it 3inches or
try to lower the bags 3 inches..

2005VTX1300Rwithviptrunk015.jpg

2005VTX1300Rwithviptrunk010.jpg

Uses some type of riser under the trunk and use longer bolts and then figure how low you can make the bags without them coming in contact with the exhaust.

Spoke with a guy that had the same problem ... He said his side bags were pretty flexiable, He just bend the top part of his hard bags and he was able to open and close the lid.

I tried it with mine and I was able to do the same......

Thanks Trike Lady, I have decided on purchasing it, now if I only had my Trike to ride I would be a happy camper. :yes: Hey Big Joey, no offense, I was just trying to be funny. :blush: Way to much time on my hands at this point.

Hello, Im new here and hope someone can steer me in the right direction no pun intended. I just had a Voyager kit installed on my 1988 Kawasaki Voyager, 1300, Like the Goldwings. Looks great.My question is, we set it at 1/2 inch preload. When me and my wife are on it, probably little over 400 some odd pounds. Steering it through a curve is a BEAST. I havent really had it in a curve over 35-40 mph because it is so hard to steer, feels like I am going to over shoot the curve. I have road for years. THere is no lean, it is stiff like I would think a trike should be, But it is a Beast to steer, I couldnt imagine riding more than a hour or two, I would be down for days recouping from muscle strain. I have the compressor on my bike, any suggestions on what I should set the front and back levels to, or anything else. I sure hope you all have the answers for me. Its really quite dis heartning right now. Please let me know. Thanks in advance.

BRian:( :blush::confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Brian, welcome to TrikeTalk. Don't give up too quickly.... we have a number of trikers who are experienced and very happy with the voyager kits. I'm sure you'll get some help and pointers that will maximize your enjoyment!

Set up of a Voyager is critical, if done correctly and to the letter it handles like a dream, if poorly installed a nightmare. The air suspension must be set, the preload must be right and the bike tires should have normal tire pressure.
Set up is the key to a good ride, seriously.:yes:
:clan:

kvfd35, if you haven't done so already, try setting your preload at 1". Not knowing how much weight you load your bike with, I know your bike is no lightweight by itself. I have found that the more weight you have, the more preload you need to support everything. I had to go to 1" on my Volusia 800 but we put a minimum of 480 lb. payload on top of the bike. It was really wobbly until I reset the preload to 1". Also you need to experiment with tire pressures. Solo, I get the best response at 16 lb., two up has to go to 20 lb. My kit is a "D" kit which means it is longer than the standard "A" kit. I think yours might be also. Don't know if that makes a difference in the setup but I do know when I made those two adjustments my problems pretty much went away. I am still having trouble when it comes to sharp highway curves. Slow down and never, never use your front brake in a sharp curve. You will just go straight and end up in no mans land.

We owned a HD Electra Glide with the Voyager kit attached. We just traded it in for a 2011 HD TriGlide. Let me say that I am much happier with the TriGlide. The Voyager Co. does make a good product. It IS an inexpensive alternative to the cost of a trike as long as you understand how the product works. I am well aware of the issues of turning and the feelings of instability. The "inside" wheel does come off the ground in a turn. Centrifugal force does force you to the outside as it would in a car. However, understanding these issues, you can learn to ride the Voyager without much difficulty. First, I learned to lean into the curve much as I would do on a two wheel. This helped counteract the centrifugal forces. Also, have your passenger lean with you. This helps. Remember, this IS not much different than riding a bicycle with training wheels. Second, you will learn quickly that steering is a lot like steering a snowmobile, only more so. I found myself using a great deal of upper body strength just to get the front wheel turning in the direction of the curve. The Harley Davidson TriGlides have moved the front fork out in order to make turning easy. Bikes with the Voyager kits are attached for the most part to a standard frame which is designed to be turned with pressure and not brute force. Overall, I enjoyed riding my Electra Glide with the Voyager (more so than my girlfriend who always thought she was going to fall off), but am much happier with the move up to the HD TriGlide. :)

Folks, I got my first Voyager in June of 2010. I was getting pretty upset about how it rode and handled. Through the posts on this and other sites I found that there is a way to make your Voyager behave and handle the way it does in the Voyager company videos but you have to experiment with your payload on board. The preload is the key and is totally dependent on the sprung weight of your machine when loaded. In my case, I had to increase my preload to 1" and reduce the pressure in the Voyager tires to 16 lb. This gives me the ride and handling you would expect from watching the videos. The tech at Voyager told me about reducing the tire pressure, but I had to figure out my own preload for the weight. If you have too much lean on curves or on a crowned road, more preload will fix that. As for pin breakage, that occurs when you slide the forks too far over the receiver pins and do not have enough "give" over extreme bumps or on tight corners. Leave the pins just 3/8" inside the forks. They will not rattle or feel loose if you have the right preload and air pressure. If you have too much pull to the left or right, loosen the belly bracket and shim the low side up, that is if it pulls right put a 1/4" bar stock piece between the frame and the belly bracket and tighten everything back up. That will in most cases be sufficient to stop the pull. Mine does great now that I have done these adjustments. Hope this helps someone who is experiencing the problems of a poor handling Voyager. Even though they are less money than a trike, they are too expensive to just give up on. Once you get it right, you'll be very happy with your Voyager.

Wow I forgot about the shims . I did do that to mine when i had it . I went to a body shop and got Door shims. i think they also use something like it in Front end alignment shop . Look like a thin flat horse shoe

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom Wallen
Back