Trailer tire pressure ?

Apr 2, 2013
Altoona Pa. USA
How much air pressure should I use in my tag a long cargo trailer tires ? The tire says 80 psi max. I will have around 100 lb in the trailer. I am thinking about 25 psi would be a good place to start. I know I could load the trailer ,wet the tires ,see where tread gives the best pattern. I want to know your results. What pressure do you run ? How much weight do you carry?

How much air pressure should I use in my tag a long cargo trailer tires ? The tire says 80 psi max. I will have around 100 lb in the trailer. I am thinking about 25 psi would be a good place to start. I know I could load the trailer ,wet the tires ,see where tread gives the best pattern. I want to know your results. What pressure do you run ? How much weight do you carry?

If you use anywhere near 80 psi, at every little bump the tires will be leaving the ground...

What does the trailer inflation label recommend ..:Shrug:..

I have a 97 Escapade trailer which we have use over 10 yrs. in like parts of the country. Loaded light and heavy 25 - 28lbs.

Never a problem on hot, wet, and wind.

Guessing your trailer has two tires maybe? (some do have just one, I have seen custom tandem axle trailers with 4 tires)

Guessing also, 4.80/4.00 X 8 is the size maybe? (I have a buddy with a home built utility trailer he hauls wood on until the axle bows using little 4.80/4.00 X 8 load range C tires that I mounted for him onto some galvanized wheels I gave him, I tell him it's a bad idea, I'd run 12s at least … or even 14s)

Load range B = rated @ 590 lbs at 60 psi. maximum

Load range C = rated @ 745 lbs at 90 psi. maximum

Typicaly I run 30-40 psi in mine. The tires are cheap enough and my use is rare enough that I am not worried about wear, but I'd sure hate to have a tire overheat and blow the sidewall out due to low inflation.

My Bushtec Turbo 2+ manual says to use 45 psi regardless of load. Does bounce a bit, but I'll tune the pressure on my next trip.

Doesn't bushtec have the tires that look like they are off a bike? Where most other trailers use tires that are like small car tires. If so then the pressure would be different in those because they need to stay rounded at the contact patch. Just my thought

You are correct, Gorilla. The tires are also used on dirt bikes and, of all things, some baby carriages. They have an aggressive off-road style tread, so will certainly require different pressures than car-style tires. Good catch…I should have thought if that🥴.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrArcade
Back