Advice on a trailer

Looking to tow the bike to Florida from Ohio this winter for an extended vacation. Want to have the suv there hence the idea to tow. Has anyone used a utility trailer to tow that far? Talking a good trailer. 15” wheels. Not a cheaper model. Going to have a front wheel chuck bolted to the bed. Will be using tie downs. I’ve seen the DK video but that was for an enclosed toy hauler. Any thoughts?

I have used a 6 1/2 X 10 utility trailer for years, my trike fits perfect on it. I had an enclosed trailer for a couple years and to me it seemed to pull very hard compared to my open trailer. Never had any damage to my bikes when using my open trailer.

I owned a Primo Standard 6 X 10 Utility trailer. It had 15 inch wheels and was built extremely well. All aluminum and very light but strong. I did install a front wheel chalk. Had a bi-fold 4 foot ramp that was full width. Towed perfectly for short and long distance. Another benefit is that it was great for other uses like taking my golf cart in for service. If available in your area, I highly recommend Primos...... Good luck..... Jim

Looking to tow the bike to Florida from Ohio this winter for an extended vacation. Want to have the suv there hence the idea to tow. Has anyone used a utility trailer to tow that far? Talking a good trailer. 15” wheels. Not a cheaper model. Going to have a front wheel chuck bolted to the bed. Will be using tie downs. I’ve seen the DK video but that was for an enclosed toy hauler. Any thoughts?

Ive always used a utility trailer to haul my ATV'S Snowmobiles And bikes and trikes with out a problem..Front wheel chock and strapped to the rear tie down loops under the rear shooks...It isn't gonna move at all.ThumbUp...Just remember to put the trike in transport mode so you won't have a dead battery when you get to your designation...

I just towed my trike to New Brunswick 🇨🇦 from NC in an open utility trailer,it did fine. Only thing I can think of doing differently is mud flaps on the tow vehicle.

Ive always used a utility trailer to haul my ATV'S Snowmobiles And bikes and trikes with out a problem..Front wheel chock and strapped to the rear tie down loops under the rear shooks...It isn't gonna move at all.ThumbUp...Just remember to put the trike in transport mode so you won't have a dead battery when you get to your designation...

What’s “transport mode”? And does my 2015 have it?

What’s “transport mode”? And does my 2015 have it?

[FONT=&quot]To Enter Transport Mode

1. Turn the ignition switch to IGN.
  2. Set the engine stop switch to OFF.
  3. With an assigned fob within range, turn the ignition switch from IGN to ACC.
  4. Simultaneously press both the left and the right turn signal switches. This must be done within five seconds of turning the ignition switch to ACC.
  5. After the turn signals flash once, turn the ignition switch to OFF and the module is armed.
  6. Confirmation: Turn signal blinks three times when armed for one ignition cycle.

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]To Exit Transport Mode

Return the system to normal operation:

With the fob present, turn the ignition switch to IGN to disarm the system. To cancel the transport mode, set the engine stop switch to RUN.

[/FONT]

We used an ALUMA MC210 to transport our TG. Gives you the flexibility to trailer two 2-wheelers if you want/need to instead of the TG. There is also an ALUMA TK-1 (if you can find one!) specifically designed for one trike. Both are very light weight. We found the MC210 towed very well behind our SUV.

IMO, Aluma makes great motorcycle trailers! No, I don't work for them or sell their trailers!

We have Aluma brand enclosed and open trailers.

They are well made and while others are also, you can see why they are highly rated.

If you don't want to buy, rent a U-Haul open trailer to haul your trike/bike. Mount a wheel chock to the floor, strap it down and hit the road.

I like an enclosed trailer, especially for traveling, as it keeps everything out of sight, if you need to spend the night someplace. Out of sight, out of mind. Also in case of bad weather, your bike is inside.

Open trailers pull much easier than enclosed.

We tow in our Toy Hauler quite a bit these days. Video on loading it below...essentially the same process as on a utility trailer.

We have towed a few bikes to a couple of events over the years. Here's a pic of one time going to Little Sturgis. Mary pulled both the Sportys and I rode the third bike.

Little%20Sturgis%202%20sportsters.jpg

Kevin

To Enter Transport Mode

1. Turn the ignition switch to IGN.
  2. Set the engine stop switch to OFF.
  3. With an assigned fob within range, turn the ignition switch from IGN to ACC.
  4. Simultaneously press both the left and the right turn signal switches. This must be done within five seconds of turning the ignition switch to ACC.
  5. After the turn signals flash once, turn the ignition switch to OFF and the module is armed.
  6. Confirmation: Turn signal blinks three times when armed for one ignition cycl

To Exit Transport Mode

Return the system to normal operation:

With the fob present, turn the ignition switch to IGN to disarm the system. To cancel the transport mode, set the engine stop switch to RUN.

OR..Just pull the main fuse.

No mater what you use for a trailer, be prepared as follows:

- Inspect tires and air up to max pressure shown on sidewalls

- Check bearing condition and adjustment and make sure they are lubed with fresh grease.

- Have a spare wheel/tire aired up and ready to go along with a jack and tools for changing the tire/

- Make sure the lights on the trailer work.

These are just the basics, I am probably forgetting something. Most trailer tires are very poor quality. You will notice lots of trailers on the side of interstates with blown or shredded tires.

- Check bearing condition and adjustment and make sure they are lubed with fresh grease.

- Have a spare wheel/tire aired up and ready to go along with a jack and tools for changing the tire/

These are just the basics, I am probably forgetting something. Most trailer tires are very poor quality. You will notice lots of trailers on the side of interstates with blown or shredded tires.

Have a loaded hub assembly in your truck, this is from my personal experience.

We always check our trailers over really well and try to keep ahead of maintenance on them and keep them looking good.

Keep good tires on them and keep the brakes up to snuff and all the lights and blinkers and bearings working as they should.

We have seen trailers loaded up and being pulled that if it were me hooked up to the trailer, I wouldn't get 5 miles down the road before it broke down. Seen many trailers with bald ass tires and some with the cords showing and they keep pulling them and don't seem to have trouble. I could never get by with equipment like that, without getting into trouble.

Great points.

At first I thought you were talking about the trike, then realized you were talking about the trailer.

There are probably even more, but I would add, check that the trailer brakes are working (if it has them).

Kevin

I have the 5.5 ' x 10 ' carryon trailer from tractor supply. towed my triglide from pa to Tennessee plenty of room , towed great. however, i had to build ramps to put under the trailer ramp to reduce the ramp angle of the trailer or the pipes would hit the ground just as the front wheel reaches the top of the trailer gate. so be aware of that with any trailer you may get.

Towing Trike to FL.

Doing the same thing from Iowa. I bought a nice TK1 Aluma from Thomas Bus Sales in Des Moines. Fits perfect. Very nice aluminum trailer with 4 corner tie downs. Is an open trailer with a v tool box/wind screen. Pricey but just the ticket for me.

15" mag wheels.

Who sells a cover for a Harley Davidson Ultra Limited with a 2023 CSC Conversion?

Thanks

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Delverc
Back