Rear Tires

Feb 13, 2012
Maquoketa,Iowa, US
I'm changing my rear tires to Michelin HydroEdge and taking the BF Goodrich TA off which only have 3200 miles on them and sell them. I can do it in my garage. But to balance them, would Dyna Beads work to balance or should I have them spin balanced? It's on a 2003 Goldwing/2010 Motor Trike Adventure trike.

I can only hope that this tire is improved over the 4 i had abt 3 yrs ago.. rode and drove great but after 25k miles -- was very noisy and terrible on wet roads,,, the compound is too hard for traction in my opinion--- but will run for many miles.
I rotated them constantly but to no avail for noise.
i tossed mine after 35k.

I don't have either tire on my trike, it has BFG's that were on it when purchased, but I'll be changing soon.

I have for many years, run a car tire on the back of my Valkyrie standard. Currently using a Bridgestone Touranza. I look for a tire that has a low tread wear rating, ie: softer compound. I use nothing more than a 500 rating. For me, it bites the road better, more grip on wet roads. But there is a trade off, less longevity. But did I mention they hold the road? Even peg dragging.

In the car tires (and MC tires) on the bike, I use the sealer/balancer Ride-On. Love the stuff.

Tire Sealant | Puncture Repair | Flat Tire Repair | Tire Protection Systems for Motorcycle, Automotive, ATV and Heavy Equipment - Ride-On

No affiliation, ....

I would caution you to go to the innovative balancing website, and read the technical info before deciding. I used them on MC tires with great results but they did not resolve my balance issure on trike's rear tires.

Tire Balancing Products

We don't market to cars, SUV's or minivans due to the overall style of those tires, which usually have a low aspect ratio. We classify tires with a low aspect ratio "low-profile". Low profile tires often need lateral balance correction that can only be rectified with the use of standard wheel weights applied to both the inside and outside rim.
So that means that while Dyna Beads should not be used as the sole balancing method for these tire types, you can use Dyna Beads as a "Maintenance Amount". Using a combination of weights and Dyna Beads results in higher tire mileage and a reduction, or elimination, of future rebalancing requiements. For the proper amount, click here

I would get the tires balanced first and then add 3 oz. of the beads to each of your rear wheels. I also air up my rear tires to 24 psi. My front tire (BT-45 reversed) is balanced first and then I added 2 oz. of beads and I use 42 psi. of air. All tires have the metal valve stems and I have the TireGard Trike TPMS system. I have very little vibration up to 80 mph. This is what I do and others may not agree. :)

I had a MPA reverse on the front and Mich's on the back from new on.

Now have 28,000 miles on them so I replaced them with-
Another MPA rear tire mounted in reverse a 40psi.
Kelly's on the back at 28psi.

Combo give a nice smooth and handling ride

If you go to the website and look under pickups they do list some tires in the sizes that are used on rear of trikes. And it said to use 3-4 ozs of beads. The tire size I'm using is P205/70R15.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Delverc
Back