Rear tires???????????????

Oct 18, 2011
salt lake city, ut
What type of tread should I go with on my trike-radial-bias ply? I am sure there are opinions on which corners best etc. I will be shopping for wheels and tires in about a week, and need some edumucation on this subject. Thanks in advance for any advice!:Shrug::Shrug::Shrug:

FYI this is an opinion!!!!

I like radial tires and I don't like low profile tire on trikes.

Trikes are light and while they can be faster in the twisty's than cars I don't want to race anyone while I'm on a trike. I want a trike to be dependable and for the tires to add to the comfort not the race-ability of said trike. I think a good mid range tire will work... I won't get into brand names but a good quality tire that has a good heat rating and wear rating. If you ride in all sort of weather adjust your tire purchase to include those factors.

FYI this is an opinion!!!!

I like radial tires and I don't like low profile tire on trikes.

Trikes are light and while they can be faster in the twisty's than cars I don't want to race anyone while I'm on a trike. I want a trike to be dependable and for the tires to add to the comfort not the race-ability of said trike. I think a good mid range tire will work... I won't get into brand names but a good quality tire that has a good heat rating and wear rating. If you ride in all sort of weather adjust your tire purchase to include those factors.

Same Opinion Here........ThumbUp

Here is what I run on my 02 GL1800 Hannigan:
Michelin Primacy MXV4 185/65R/15.
I they give you a good ride in all kinds of weather.

If your tires are starting crack, I would not wait very long to have them replaced. Check the date of manufacturing on the tire to make sure they are current. In New Hampshire with the state inspection they check "born" date on tires to make sure they are not old. They could fail when heated in high speed travel.

Regards,

Rosy
From NH

I put thes on about 2,000 miles ago. I am thrilled with them . Quiet is what I was mainly looking for. Most radial tires on a trike are going to wear well, way into the 40,000 area. I don't road race, although these tires seem to hold the road far better than my ability to take the curves. MPG seems better ( maybe 1or2 MPG could be just less friction with new tires and a little larger diam then the worn out ones. We're not big money
Soft, chewy fuel mileage - Goodyear introduces Assurance FuelMax tire. ThumbUp

i never eard of someone having ticket because his tires were to old......
in quebec anyway,,,, they only check the deap tread,,,and after an accident!!

You won't get a traffic ticket, but if the tires are to old the vehicle will not pass inspection. The garage will not take the responsiblity of something happening to the tire after they inspected the vehicle and said it was safe.

Rosy
From NH

You won't get a traffic ticket, but if the tires are to old the vehicle will not pass inspection. The garage will not take the responsiblity of something happening to the tire after they inspected the vehicle and said it was safe.

Rosy
From NH

I am the sort of fella that never wants to get stranded for something I could have prevented... TIREs, Battery, oil changes fuses... but a flat tire because I was to lazy to get new ones is the worst...

When I was broke as a young man in the winter I would come out to flats when it got cold out in Chicago... Hence cheap / bad tires! What a pain in the ass to either change it or use a hand pump to put enough air in it to drive to the gas station... Those days I hope are behind me!!!!

tell me if i am wrong,,,,but the rubber outside of tire have nothing to do whit holding air pressure,,,,ok if the tire have almost no more thread then if you hit a nail or what so ever,,, than you have more chance it will go in ,,,and make hole and air leak,,,ok
what do you think,,,,,:Trike1::confused:

My CSC Daytona Kit came with Cooper CS4 tires. They ride well and the Trike handles well. Coming home from Sturgis, SD between Blue Earth, MN and Nadine, MN ran into the heaviest rain I ever rode in and the Coopers were fine. Hope this helps?? Ride Safe!

tell me if i am wrong,,,,but the rubber outside of tire have nothing to do whit holding air pressure,,,,ok if the tire have almost no more thread then if you hit a nail or what so ever,,, than you have more chance it will go in ,,,and make hole and air leak,,,ok
what do you think,,,,,:Trike1::confused:

Your right, but if the tire is old so will be the cords that hold the pressure on the tire. I suspect what happens is the rubber starts to loose some of its compound and start to crack, just like vinyl does when it gets old. They get brittle.
I have a set of tires on my utility trailer 6 ply that are "checkered" and have a tube in them, the thread is brand new because I hardly use the trailer, but I need to change them, just to be on the safe side if I load the trailer and take it for a long ride. Peace of mind!

Regards,

Rosy
From NH

Rosy, the tire size for your trike, 185//65R15, was that the original size?

My MT has 235/60R15's on it, much wider foot print. They perform well, but I'm about to change them due to age. I worry about that wide tire & hydro-planing. See, I remember when Firestone came out with the first "Wide Ovals" back in the 60's. LOL, I didn't think anything could stop those wide, flat tires... 'till it rained. Kinda like being on a sled.

I've also found (by running darkside (car tires) on my Standard) that the lower tread wear ratings bite & stop better. At the present, I run a 195/60R16, wear rating of 300, does much better than the last tire that was wear rated at 700. The softer compound wears a little faster, but I feel much more comfortable.

Rosy, the tire size for your trike, 185//65R15, was that the original size?

My MT has 235/60R15's on it, much wider foot print. They perform well, but I'm about to change them due to age. I worry about that wide tire & hydro-planing. See, I remember when Firestone came out with the first "Wide Ovals" back in the 60's. LOL, I didn't think anything could stop those wide, flat tires... 'till it rained. Kinda like being on a sled.

I've also found (by running darkside (car tires) on my Standard) that the lower tread wear ratings bite & stop better. At the present, I run a 195/60R16, wear rating of 300, does much better than the last tire that was wear rated at 700. The softer compound wears a little faster, but I feel much more comfortable.

Here is what Hannigan's book says, GL 1500: 175/70R14: GL 1800 185/65R15:
Wider than standard wheels or tires with different offset could result in clearance problems. Both: 28 lbs. Right Rear: 28 lbs. Left Rear: 35 lbs. Front:
GL 1500 14"X6" Mag wheels with Michelin radial tires
GL 1800 15"X6.5" Mag wheels with Michelin radial tires:
If you live in an area where the roads have a high crown, the tendency of the trike to follow the slope of the road to the right may be countered by reducing the left tire pressure to 26 lbs.
I had great success with the Michelin tires on there now, and will replace them with the same type when needed.

Regards,

Rosy
From NH

Randy & Rosy, thanks. I had planned on using a 205 width when replacing. I just want to measure the 235's on there now, to match height, as the RPM's pretty much match what my standard does at given MPH.

on the motorhome, we always replaced the tires after 5 years, they have started to dry rot, and you are looking for blowouts, doesn't matter on tread depth. The oils in the rubber doesn't work like a tire that is on the road all the time.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Delverc
Back