Rear Brake Rotors for 2012 Triglide

The only change made was to change to an iron, not steel rotor. This was for the squealing problem. designated in the part number by a -B suffix. There may have been a mod somewhere also for the -A suffix.
Later they went to a 10.6" rotor in place of the 9". This change was in '14ym +.
So MOCO knows there was a problem with the early models, but will they offer an upgrade ???? That is called buy a '14 or later Trike for the answer. All about money & not about safety !!
Not even an upgrade that you would pay for!!
Great company !
JMHO.......

Any reason one couldn't just buy the bigger rotors and caliper brackets to convert a 2009-13?

Bigger Rotors

Any reason one couldn't just buy the bigger rotors and caliper brackets to convert a 2009-13?
If I go that route I will Fab. my own caliper brackets and use real calipers to fill the wheel properly to stop old shiney. This can be done with a little planning and winter is coming sooner than any of us want in PA. :Shrug: ride safely fearless

P.S. If you just convert to new production you still have to deal with inflated pricing and poor quality parts sad but more often than not true. Custom conversion is not for everyone but it will work for me.

Last edited:
You need to keep in mind that if you do anything special & you have problems on the road somewhere you may have problems getting parts to get fixed.
The larger rotors on the later models also have the different parking brake in the caliper. So the adapter plate for the mounting is most likely different.
I am sure with the larger rotors there would be better brakes for the rear. Even if you use the stock calipers.

yes!

My 2010 is in need of rear rotors. Also, what do you mean by "machining"? Are you talking thickness?
Yes they need a little cutting but I also believe it can be done. My friend says should not be a problem. ThumbUp Ride safely fearless

I think safer is better

You need to keep in mind that if you do anything special & you have problems on the road somewhere you may have problems getting parts to get fixed.
The larger rotors on the later models also have the different parking brake in the caliper. So the adapter plate for the mounting is most likely different.
I am sure with the larger rotors there would be better brakes for the rear. Even if you use the stock calipers.
Trike conversion Company's I believe use smaller Automotive calipers a lot of work will be involved we shall see where it goes. :Shrug: ride safely fearless

If I go that route I will Fab. my own caliper brackets and use real calipers to fill the wheel properly to stop old shiney. This can be done with a little planning and winter is coming sooner than any of us want in PA. :Shrug: ride safely fearless

P.S. If you just convert to new production you still have to deal with inflated pricing and poor quality parts sad but more often than not true. Custom conversion is not for everyone but it will work for me.

You have to make sure the stock master cylinder has the capacity to apply enough pressure to the larger calipers.

You bet I'm looking at that also

You have to make sure the stock master cylinder has the capacity to apply enough pressure to the larger calipers.
I have had it with marginal brakes. I have all winter to work possible solutions, poor brakes are not acceptable any longer to me. I love the machine it just needs intervention. The dollars spent to make it go also need to be applied to make it stop simply put! :Shrug: ride safely fearless

Last edited:
Not sure but would contacting HAyes Brakes help try to help your search for better stopping??

Last time I looked they were the ones that supply the brake for the triglide..

thank you I will talk

Not sure but would contacting HAyes Brakes help try to help your search for better stopping??

Last time I looked they were the ones that supply the brake for the triglide..
Not much for asking those sorts of questions I have my own road to travel.

As Mike said the master cylinder is definitely a limiting factor in both volume to operate the pistons & also to be able to apply enough pressure. Otherwise you could just put an automotive caliper on with 4X the pad area & 2X the piston area.
DFT puts out a IRS kit for the TriGlide. They use a 10.5" rotor with an extended mounting plate that uses your existing calipers.
I talked with DFT & they will sell the rotors & plates for $650. WAY TOO MUCH MONEY ! But he said they don't show any problems with their brakes. So evidently the larger rotor leverage doesn't over ride the stock caliper pressure.
But then again they sell the stuff also......
To make your own would be just stock Harley '14 rotors & make a mounting plate about 13/16" longer. Then you have the same thing as the DFT setup but with another 0.100" more rotor.

Hayes brake

I have Emailed Hayes Brake and will discuss the issues with them. This entire rear brake issue on the tri glide is a serious problem. If it was ford or Chrysler NTSA would be all over them for a massive recall. I am not a Mechanical Engineer but this not my first rodeo with poorly designed machines. I plan on next riding season to have brakes I can rely on wet or dry hot or cold. any thoughts and input will be certainly welcome.

Please don't get me wrong I love my Harley and it has short comings but the poor brakes! Really it is time to get into the 21st century. I'm not complaining I'M GOING TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. :AllGood:ride safely fearless

Are we there yet?

Fearless - id be interested in the whole "caliper bracket" thing also. Someone had suggested the same thing and maybe starting with the same year brake setup tp compare(02-06 Focus). i dont know if it will lead anywhere, but its good thinking. Figure plain ol brakes from NAPA would work and probably last longer. Lets hope stop better too.

But for now, i will go the route i posted - i will cut/drill the rotors and see how much diameter AND thickness i can actually keep also. Im hopin the calipers will allow to maybe make the thickness around 3-5mm thicker.

Again, just all experimental - but more MENTAL than anything.:AGGHH:

And reading other posts, YES, HD did make another part number for the rotors (-09B) and the diameter is larger on the 14s and up. Go figure. But an upgrade KIT - are u serious??? (lol) Would HD ever admit they were wrong ???? But they sure are sellin trikes now arent they ??

Anyone else that got my sheet specs a few posts back - id welcome feedback in any way.

- - - Updated - - -

I have Emailed Hayes Brake and will discuss the issues with them. This entire rear brake issue on the tri glide is a serious problem. If it was ford or Chrysler NTSA would be all over them for a massive recall. I am not a Mechanical Engineer but this not my first rodeo with poorly designed machines. I plan on next riding season to have brakes I can rely on wet or dry hot or cold. any thoughts and input will be certainly welcome.

Please don't get me wrong I love my Harley and it has short comings but the poor brakes! Really it is time to get into the 21st century. I'm not complaining I'M GOING TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. :AllGood:ride safely fearless

AND IM WITH YA - LEMME KNOW IF I CAN HELP !!

In the spring

Fearless - id be interested in the whole "caliper bracket" thing also. Someone had suggested the same thing and maybe starting with the same year brake setup tp compare(02-06 Focus). i dont know if it will lead anywhere, but its good thinking. Figure plain ol brakes from NAPA would work and probably last longer. Lets hope stop better too.

But for now, i will go the route i posted - i will cut/drill the rotors and see how much diameter AND thickness i can actually keep also. Im hoping the calipers will allow to maybe make the thickness around 3-5mm thicker.

Again, just all experimental - but more MENTAL than anything.:AGGHH:

And reading other posts, YES, HD did make another part number for the rotors (-09B) and the diameter is larger on the 14s and up. Go figure. But an upgrade KIT - are u serious??? (lol) Would HD ever admit they were wrong ???? But they sure are sellin trikes now arent they ??

Anyone else that got my sheet specs a few posts back - id welcome feedback in any way.

- - - Updated - - -

AND IM WITH YA - LEMME KNOW IF I CAN HELP !!
By spring i will have new larger brakes. My friends are willing to help with CNC machines and lathes available it will happen. Marginally Engineered brakes are no longer tolerated. not bitching just stating a fact. ThumbUp ride safely fearless

YES, HD did make another part number for the rotors (-09B) and the diameter is larger on the 14s and up. Go figure. But an upgrade KIT - are u serious??? (lol) Would HD ever admit they were wrong ???? But they sure are selling trikes now aren't they ??

No reason H-D can't offer an upgrade kit for the earlier TriGlides. Boss Hoss offers one for their older trikes and it works great.

No reason H-D can't offer an upgrade kit for the earlier TriGlides. Boss Hoss offers one for their older trikes and it works great.

Yes HD could do an upgrade. But not with their overall plan to sell new machines not to make the older stuff to have a longer life.
If HD could work it out I bet they wish anything over 5yrs old would just go away & the owners would just buy a new bike.
Also the reason the aftermarket groups won't put more parts out for newer models is that is all they will fit like in trikes. If the part will fit more than one model things get better. Also they don't have the cash to risk on different models being around long.
Harley still can't get it right what parts they have will also fit a Tri Glide. If the part wasn't original on the Tri no one really knows...... Nor do they care. They make better money, & less liability by building new units.
Also MOCO would have to admit there might be a problem with their previous models. That might just open a can of worms they don't want. Especially a safety item....!

I bet if the rear master brake cylinder on the TG's were improved we would have better rear brake response, I think the TG's rear brake master cylinders are actually designed for two wheel bikes, and yes the Hayes brake calipers for the TG's are pour quality.
Butch

Yes HD could do an upgrade. But not with their overall plan to sell new machines not to make the older stuff to have a longer life.
If HD could work it out I bet they wish anything over 5yrs old would just go away & the owners would just buy a new bike.
Also the reason the aftermarket groups won't put more parts out for newer models is that is all they will fit like in trikes. If the part will fit more than one model things get better. Also they don't have the cash to risk on different models being around long.
Harley still can't get it right what parts they have will also fit a Tri Glide. If the part wasn't original on the Tri no one really knows...... Nor do they care. They make better money, & less liability by building new units.
Also MOCO would have to admit there might be a problem with their previous models. That might just open a can of worms they don't want. Especially a safety item....!

Sorry,I'm not sure I can agree with all of that. The Twin Cam is 17yrs old and looks to be around for a few more. H-D produces a 900+ page Parts & Accessory catalog that gives owners the option of customizing or upgrading their rides. What other manufacturer offers such an array as H-D does,not to mention the billion dollar aftermarket the brand commands?

Sorry,I'm not sure I can agree with all of that. The Twin Cam is 17yrs old and looks to be around for a few more. H-D produces a 900+ page Parts & Accessory catalog that gives owners the option of customizing or upgrading their rides. What other manufacturer offers such an array as H-D does,not to mention the billion dollar aftermarket the brand commands?

And how many of those parts say "not for Trike" ? Many of those parts will work fine, but you have to buy it yourself to find out. Or. how many aftermarkets offer a reverse motor? Or how about brake rotors? Many of the seat manufactures offer seats for the Tri Glide, but only a few actually fit. I'm still doing battle with Saddlemen over one of their "road sofas". Doesn't fit, & they don't make one that does.

Last winter is was things to Run

This winter it is things to make it stop. I have no problem making my ride safer and that is what this is about. I would hate to think HD realizes there is a serious rear brake problem and will not take ownership of it. By now I'm sure they have been contacted by numerous owners asking that very question. We aren't pushing HD to own up to poor power, why should we complain about poor brakes, I plan on working on mine to upgrade, as if were installing a tuner or performance air intake. And when the time comes I will proudly share how and what I have done to improve a very nice machine like M3 says needed Mechanical Intervention. And I will do it, Harley will sell you the parts they have but it does not fix it I want to fix it not just push the problem down the road. :Shrug: Ride safely Fearless

Yes the Twin Cam has been around since 1999, but when you look at how it has changed over the years. Harley has made it cheaper and more disposable. Previous engine designs used replaceable lifter blocks, the Twin Cam has the lifter block cast in. When the clearance increases too much, you can't just simply replace the lifter block, you have to either bush the lifter bore or replace the case half. They started out with a pretty decent platform, a timken left side bearing with a mediocre crank shaft. They decided to go away from the timken for the 2003 MY, regular roller bearings are cheaper and quicker to install. They source parts from the cheapest supplier, not necessarily based on quality.

Look at what Harley has done with lifters, the 1st couple years the lifters where from Johnson Hi lift, they where some great pieces. Then Harley decided to go a little cheaper and went to a Delphi produced lifter, the 'A' & 'B', the 'B' lifter did a pretty decent job, low failure rate and quiet. Then staring with 2011 they went to the 'C' lifter, produced in Mexico. The 'C' lifter has a much higher failure rate and is noisy.

There has been many other changes over the years of the Twin Cam which were made with the eye towards cheaper production cost. They look at how few miles are actually ridden by a typical Harley rider, the MTBF and see where they can strike a happy medium. There are a lot of 10 year old Harley's out there sitting in garages with 5,000 miles on them.

Another change with an eye towards quicker and cheaper production is the cam plate. Sure the new Hydraulic chain tensioners are way better than the previous spring tensioners. Where Harley went cheap was with the cam interface with the plate. They went away from the bearings installed in the plate in favor of the cams riding in the plate. This does lead to quicker plate wear, it is not uncommon to find the bores out of round after some miles are rolled up, some plates are out of round at the 50,000 mile mark and ready for replacement. For the 2011 MY they even did away with the bushing the crank shaft pinion side rode in on the cam plate. This reduced support of this side of the crank shaft, not to mention another accelerated wear point on the cam plate.

I think the only thing keeping the Twin Cam alive this long is nostalgia, a majority of the Harley customer base expect to see the Harley of old. They're not ready for the future, they resist traditional liquid cooling, they want bare bones. Look at how many shun'd the V-Rod when it was produced and even today.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gyl
Back