Physical Security

Oct 5, 2013
Texarkana, AR
Does anyone use any kind of physical lock or security when traveling and having to leave your trike outside, like at a motel? My .45 isn't much help while I am asleep.

I realize nothing will stop a determined thief, but if I can make them think twice before spending the extra time on something it may be worth it.

When I was young I rode with a group of guys to watch the I/2 mile races in Louisville, KY. There were 6 immaculate newer Harleys all chromed up and standing tall. A fellow that worked at a Kawasaki Dealer and friend of one of our riders rode with us on his old dirty Kawasaki 1100 I think. After going to the races we parked the bikes at our motel and since we had adjoining rooms we ran a log chain through all the front wheels and locked them down with pad locks.
The next morning we awoke to find the chain had been cut but none of our beautiful Harleys had been taken. They took the old dirty rice burner.
Never ever heard the end of that.

Everything is an aggravation to average Thieves, and sometimes discourages Them enough to make em' look elsewhere.....Professionals always get what They want.....:mad:

I try to park in a well lit area, but all I do is lock the front forks and walk off, I don't even lock the trailer tongue. It is insured to the max and there is nothing on it or in it I can't live without. I'll rent a cage and come home. Life is too short to worry about preventing theives from taking it. If they want it they will take it. I will keep the .45 with me though :D.

I try to park in a well lit area, but all I do is lock the front forks and walk off, I don't even lock the trailer tongue. It is insured to the max and there is nothing on it or in it I can't live without. I'll rent a cage and come home. Life is too short to worry about preventing theives from taking it. If they want it they will take it. I will keep the .45 with me though :D.

Pretty much my thoughts too and here is why. I had rather they take it and the insurance company replace it and all my stuff rather than tear my crap up trying and failing to steal it. Anything I can't be without I take in with me at night. The pro thief is going to get your stuff . He knows how to beat the locks. The sneak thief will just mess up your stuff.

just my .02

That's what insur. is for, I'm not going to go crazy if some one steal's my trike, I'm thinking I've had a lot of fun with Harleys and other bikes in my life, if it happens, it happens, I contact my insurance co. and I think I will get enough to make a pretty good down payment on a 2-3 year old 911 Porsche, so don't knock your self out dragging chain's and steel cables out,
A change might be good, life is short....:D

If you pulled a gun on someone trying to steal your trike the end result could be lot worse than losing the machine. Get good insurance. I carry a gun as well but only to protect my life. The trike can be replaced.

Pretty much my thoughts too and here is why. I had rather they take it and the insurance company replace it and all my stuff rather than tear my crap up trying and failing to steal it. Anything I can't be without I take in with me at night. The pro thief is going to get your stuff . He knows how to beat the locks. The sneak thief will just mess up your stuff.

just my .02

:Agree: If it's torn up bad enough and you can't ride safely then you are parked at a dealer for how long? Or you are renting a way to get it home. I do put a half cover on it at night when parked just to keep the rain and the grown-up kids off of it.

:Agree: I have to agree with just turning the fork and locking it. When I am pulling my Aluma trailer on my longer trips I do run a security chain from the underside of the trike to a loop on the trailer. I do that just to prevent or at least deter someone from unhooking the trailer from the trike and taking that. I have a lock on the ball hitch but the receiver has no lock as I haven't found one that will fit it.

I never lock the Top box/Trunk my T/G.. If I have anything in them that is worth more than the cost of replacing locks' I take it with me... Besides with barrel locks especially with the trunk if any dirt gets in them you just might find yourself locked out..

And as far as the gas cap locks go I 86'ed them first week I got the bikes......

When I was young I rode with a group of guys to watch the I/2 mile races in Louisville, KY. There were 6 immaculate newer Harleys all chromed up and standing tall. A fellow that worked at a Kawasaki Dealer and friend of one of our riders rode with us on his old dirty Kawasaki 1100 I think. After going to the races we parked the bikes at our motel and since we had adjoining rooms we ran a log chain through all the front wheels and locked them down with pad locks.

The next morning we awoke to find the chain had been cut but none of our beautiful Harleys had been taken. They took the old dirty rice burner.

Never ever heard the end of that.

Sorry guys and don't want to steal the thread but JoeDiver reminded me of a good laugh. Several of us were traveling in southern New Mexico. Stopped for the night in Carlsbad. Oh, forgot to mention all were on Harleys except for one guy on a Honda. We pulled all the bikes in a row in front of the motel.

On one end the Honda, on the other a rusted out, falling down old 3 legged Weber grill. We took a stainless cable and ran it thru all the Harleys and the Weber grill....leaving off the Honda. Dang he failed to see the humor the next morning.

Sorry now back to our previously recorded program..

8~\o

Sorry guys and don't want to steal the threat but JoeDiver reminded me of a good laugh. Several of us were traveling in southern New Mexico. Stopped for the night in Carlsbad. Oh, forgot to mention all were on Harleys except for one guy on a Honda. We pulled all the bikes in a row in front of the motel. On one end the Honda, on the other a rusted out, falling down old 3 legged Weber grill. We took a stainless cable and ran it thru all the Harleys and the Weber grill....leaving off the Honda. Dang he failed to see the humor the next morning.

Sorry now back to our previously recorded program..

8~\o

:clapping::clapping:

On trips I carry a cable with me. I rarely use it to lock the bike..sort of try and avoid the sketchy motels, but every now and then I will use it.

More frequently we use it during the day if were going to be out of sight from the bike a while...we run it through the sleeves of the jackets, and then thru the helmets, securing it all to the TG.

Kevin

When I went to the Laughlin run few years back, 4 guys would lift a bike up and put it in the back of a pick-up truck. In a matter of seconds,gone. If they want it bad enough,they will get it.:mad:

I realize nothing will stop a determined thief, but if I can make them think twice before spending the extra time on something it may be worth it.

I AGREE!

:Coffee: ONCE IN MY MISS-SPENT YOUTH THERE WAS A GUY IN A RIVAL CLUB THAT USED TO LEAN HIS SCOOTER AGAINST A HUGE TREE AND WRAP IT ROUND AND ROUND WITH A LONG, HEAVY LOG CHAIN.:AGGHH:

:gah:ONE NIGHT A COUPLE OF US STOLE HIS CHAIN!

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flyboy7312
Back