Ongoing 2014 Tri-Glide build-out, lots of pics and thoughts on the differences

yes I agree once the testing is complete and the required parts have been installed to control the heat, the oil temp gauge is really no longer useful.

What useful information does the FP3 show? Engine temp or oil temp? I will purchase the FP3 bc I have V&H pipes left from my RK I sold in the spring.

Yes, the FP3 can provide the CHT or what is seen as the ET on the Power Vision, it also provides an array of other information. You can see more on it HERE.

However, just because you have V&H pipes does not mean you need to get an FP3. The Power Vision works very well (and is more powerful than the FP3) with V&H exhaust. I have the PV on my TG and I'm running V&H exhaust.

See more on the Power Vision HERE.

Neither one of them display, or know, the oil temperature.

Kevin

I know I can use the PV instead of FP3 but I can use my iPhone instead of having 1 more thing on the handle bars.

Thanks for the links.

Have u had any issues with your '14? I will buy used and haven't decided if I like the idea of a bike with water in it! :)

I know I can use the PV instead of FP3 but I can use my iPhone instead of having 1 more thing on the handle bars.

Thanks for the links.

Have u had any issues with your '14? I will buy used and haven't decided if I like the idea of a bike with water in it! :)

The only real issue I've had with my '14 is it running too hot from the factory, they all do. The Twin-Cooled (14-up) have a particular problem in that they do not have an oil cooler. But this has been resolved. I had a '11 before this, it ran too hot also, as they all do...I also resolved that on the air cooled (after HD replaced the top end at 10,000 miles due to heat damage).

All other "issues" on the '14 have been regular stuff, not peculiar to the '14. Control switches, horn bracket, reverse motor, etc. all covered under warranty.

I am still under extended warranty, getting close to 60,000 miles and my compensator is starting to go bad. But that is a pretty good life for it, given how I've treated it and the problems all Big Twins have had with them over the last 5-6 years.

I did not think I would like a liquid cooled HD either...but I really like the '14-16 TG's, with the liquid cooling and the infotainment center.

Here's another link to a bunch more stuff I've done with this '14.

https://www.triketalk.com/forum/thr...IDE-Report-w-Lots-of-Pics?p=330099#post330099

Kevin

I just sold an '01 Road King with 19k and I was the 3rd owner. It had 6k when I bought it.

My cam chain tensioners went out at 19K! That pissed me off. After talking to a few techs and reading online I found out the tensioners were not the issue, HD just blamed it on the tensioners. The issue was the spring in the pressure relief valve (PRV). The techs I spoke with said u should have them checked from '99 -'16 or all TC 88/96/103. The spring for the PRV would get week from the repeated heat/cool cycles and over time start to release at less than the HD specified 40psi. Some are as low as 18 psi. The reason I brought this up is when your top end was rebuilt did they also tear into the cam chest? They may have tested the PRV and found it releasing way to early and that would cause the top end to be without proper oil and would have caused the issue u had.

I just sold an '01 Road King with 19k and I was the 3rd owner. It had 6k when I bought it.

My cam chain tensioners went out at 19K! That pissed me off. After talking to a few techs and reading online I found out the tensioners were not the issue, HD just blamed it on the tensioners. The issue was the spring in the pressure relief valve (PRV). The techs I spoke with said u should have them checked from '99 -'16 or all TC 88/96/103. The spring for the PRV would get week from the repeated heat/cool cycles and over time start to release at less than the HD specified 40psi. Some are as low as 18 psi. The reason I brought this up is when your top end was rebuilt did they also tear into the cam chest? They may have tested the PRV and found it releasing way to early and that would cause the top end to be without proper oil and would have caused the issue u had.

This is the first I've heard of a cam chain tensioner problem since HD changed the design quite a few years ago.

Yes, on mine everything else was inspected and fine. The top end was not oil starved, it had literally deformed from too much heat. It was still running, but with less power than it should because of out of round cylinders and bad valve seats.

A leak down test should be done on any used bike prior to purchasing.

Harley has done a great job at keeping them running, and not pumping blue smoke, even when cylinders are ovaled out and valves are not seating.

Kevin

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom Wallen
Back