I'm Given It All She's Got Captain

wheels

Rider
Feb 8, 2008
Baltimore
When I got my new to me Trike/Bike I was excited about not having to work on it while on the road so much. Yeah......that worked like a charm.

While on this now 7000 mile trip I have really had some problems with my electric shifter. I have done everything I could think of. I first thought "oh no.....transmission. " I even put a post up on the tech page but after making some fine adjustments to the shifter it seemed to respond. But then it acted up again. .....but wait....why. Could it be that the heat was an issue? It did seem that on the hottest days it did not matter what adjustments I made. I had even put the short shifter from Rocky on and still problems. It just seemed like as the heat went up the shifter did not have the same pop like it use too. Several calls to Pingel and they were great with suggestions and ideas but alas still issues.

While hard to believe I even thought this I was getting so bummed out that I told Nancy I was going to sell the bike when I got home.

We'll today while again talking with my good friends from Pingel we talked about the battery. Seemed fine as the bike always started and my trusty Electrical Connection alt. Meter said things were being charged. But ya know batteries sometimes don't like the heat so I pulled it and sure enough it tested out that it had problems. So I bought one of those batteries that ways about as much as a box of matches but kicks like a mule and SLAM the shifter seems to be back.

I share this for my friends with electric shifters who need to think of ALL options when if there is a problem.

I could fill two pages of symptoms and attempted cures that even had the experts stumped.
Tomorrow is another day for testing but I am praying that we got it.
Sure hope so.

Many thanks to Randall for use of his tools and lift. We have a few more friends to see who are here for the big country festival and I hope we still can spend time in the area and catch up with them. Chances are looking better.

Glad everything worked out and you're enjoying your trip. Just make sure you have enough dylithium cyrstals, don't push the Warp Core too much and watch out who you aim those photon torpedos at, lol. :D

Make sure you show us some pictures from your trip. Ride safe! ThumbUp

Thanks!

This worth knowing, I have noticed that when I have used the electric reverse on the trike, the Klictronic gear change can be sluggish. After I ride a bit it seems to wake up.

tom

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom Wallen
Back