Exhaust Port Gasket

Oct 13, 2010
USA
What type of exhaust port gaskets are recommended for aftermarket header pipes or that you used that seals good. The stock tapered mesh is not recommended and restricts the flow..

This would be used on a tri glide..

What type of exhaust port gaskets are recommended for aftermarket header pipes or that you used that seals good. The stock mesh is not recommended and restricts the flow..

This would be used on a tri glide..

I use the stock "65324-83B" exhaust gasket, which works with FuelMoto's and Fullsac's headers and I haven't noticed any restrictions.
Butch

I also use the stock tapered gasket with a FM headpipe and they seal just fine.

The stock tapered gasket is not setup for aftermarket head pipes that I have noticed. If you look at the stock header and gasket they are both tapered and seat together.

I do believe a flat type gasket is required for aftermarket headers like the SE mentioned by Gorilla. I have a set of the James Gaskets header gasket I may try..Just trying to get it to seal properly is the challenge.

I Wanted to get other thoughts as to what you all have used out there..ThumbUp

Some exhaust manufacturers will recommend a specific gasket, most won't. I know Supertrapp recommends the stock gasket for use with their Supermeg exhaust I run on my 06 Ultra. I've read quite a few opinions on stock vs SE vs other after market gaskets, non have really come up with hard proof one way or the other. I think if a person has radically ported heads they may wish to try something other than stock if the ports are large. The biggest thing you have to watch is when you stray from the stock gasket you can have leaks, sometimes you can't hear them. If you get am exhaust ports leak on an O2 sensor equipped vehicle your going to give the sensors bogus gas mixtures to read.

If proper torque procedures are followed with the stock gaskets there should be no problems with them restricting the port opening. Not the greatest picture but here is one with the stock gasket still in place, this is the front exhaust port on my dads 09 Trigide, nothing restricted the port.

09tgfront.jpg

Some exhaust manufacturers will recommend a specific gasket, most won't. I know Supertrapp recommends the stock gasket for use with their Supermeg exhaust I run on my 06 Ultra. I've read quite a few opinions on stock vs SE vs other after market gaskets, non have really come up with hard proof one way or the other. I think if a person has radically ported heads they may wish to try something other than stock if the ports are large. The biggest thing you have to watch is when you stray from the stock gasket you can have leaks, sometimes you can't hear them. If you get am exhaust ports leak on an O2 sensor equipped vehicle your going to give the sensors bogus gas mixtures to read.

If proper torque procedures are followed with the stock gaskets there should be no problems with them restricting the port opening. Not the greatest picture but here is one with the stock gasket still in place, this is the front exhaust port on my dads 09 Trigide, nothing restricted the port.

View attachment 17344

I agree with Mike. After several attempts with a V&H Powerdual headpipe and aftermarket gaskets and SE flat gaskets on my 124" I used a stock exhaust gasket and it sealed up with no leaks to date. Not over tighten as Mike points out is the key to using the stock gaskets

I've been running the stock gaskets on my fuelmoto pipes with no issues for 20,000 miles now. 2011 Tri Glide.
Also ran the stock gaskets on my 08 Electra Glide with V&H Tru-duals for almost 30,000 miles with no issues.
Dan

Well I guess I will get a set of the stock gaskets and find out.. The set I have over lap the exhaust port and looks like it restricts the flow..Have to try the" B" version

I used the pair that came with the V&H front header. They weren't tapered. With under 5K miles on the trike, I had to use a pick hook to dig the stock ones out. The ones that came with V&H weren't tapered. Haven't had the trike out of the shed yet since a swapped out exhaust, but it seems like they sealed up pretty decent.

Not sure what type of gasket came with your pipes but when I took mine off I could see it was leaking and used the gaskets that came with the pipes.

Now I didnt follow the torque sequence by the factory that could have caused this too..:xzqxz:

<script id="ncoEventScript" type="text/javascript">function DOMContentLoaded(browserID, tabId, isTop, url) { var object = document.getElementById("cosymantecnisbfw"); if(null != object) { object.DOMContentLoaded(browserID, tabId, isTop, url);} }; function Nav(BrowserID, TabID, isTop, isBool, url) { var object = document.getElementById("cosymantecnisbfw"); if(null != object) object.Nav(BrowserID, TabID, isTop, isBool, url); }; function NavigateComplete(BrowserID, TabID, isTop, url) { var object = document.getElementById("cosymantecnisbfw"); if(null != object) object.NavigateComplete(BrowserID, TabID, isTop, url); } function Submit(browserID, tabID, target, url) { var object = document.getElementById("cosymantecnisbfw"); if(null != object) object.Submit(browserID, tabID, target, url); }; </script>Found an interesting video at Fix My Hog to simplify putting in exhaust gaskets...

HogAir, did you view that video, I ask because I have tried several times & it seems like there is 90 seconds missing from the end, did you get all 3:18-3:17 run time?

Didn't pay too much attention to the run time. Just interested in seeing the method he used to seat the gaskets. Just looked at it again and it cut off at 2:27 or so.

I've viewed several of them that are shortened. I'm sure most are designed to get you to sign up for the service to get the full videos.

yea the last half of the video was gone..

well went to the dealer today and picked up the gaskets..have to try it when its above 30 deg its only 9 deg now..

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Delverc
Back