Down Shifting for a slow-down

Sometimes I downshift some times I coast to a stop then shift down to 1st. To me it is no big deal either way. My Roadsmith conversion has full sized car U-joints and a Ford car diff. I don't worry a great deal about abusing any of the components.
I have done Run For The Wall 3 times (that's enough for me) while on the ride they tell all riders to not use their brakes. You are supposed to downshift under all circumstances. My response was a resounding screw you, breaks are too important to not use in a mass migration like that. They say that if you just touch your brakes it causes your brake light to come on and that confuses the riders behind you and then they hit their brakes.
Anyway I think that was a little much to ask of riders. And as for downshifting or not, it's like voting do what you want. If it breaks it breaks if it doesn't ride on.

Personally, I am not comfortable driving behind a person in car or bike that is downshifting. It's hard to tell if they are slowing down and sometimes it's too late. Brake lights are there to tell the person behind them that you are slowing or stopping.
I find it amazing with some of these organizations or benefit rides you go on how unsafe they can be to ride with. A few years ago I rode with the Blue Angels and once we pulled off on a rest stop with about 10 bikes once finished the tail gunner actually drove his bike into the right lane, blocking traffic and then waved the bikes on to get on the merge lane. Scarred the crap out of me. This was on I-75 in South Florida with a speed limit of 70. Needless to say I never rode with them again.
Actually as I write this I am getting ready to leave and take a Trike Riding Course put on by our GWRRA District. It's a 6 hour (3 classroom & 3 riding) safety course. Never can learn too much...

Well said, brake lights are there for good reason, I try to blink mine several times before coming to a stop. Those preferring to down shift, blinking the brake lights with a light touch of the front brake lever is a good idea.

Done right I don't think downshifting hurts anything. My Roadsmith has automotive Driveshaft, CV joints and differential all designed to handle more weight and horsepower than I have by a factor of 2 to 3 minimum. Downshifting in the Arkansas twisties is a necessity as we climb and descend hills; it is not just for braking.

Downshifting

Done right I don't think downshifting hurts anything. My Roadsmith has automotive Driveshaft, CV joints and differential all designed to handle more weight and horsepower than I have by a factor of 2 to 3 minimum. Downshifting in the Arkansas twisties is a necessity as we climb and descend hills; it is not just for braking.

I downshift all the time on my RS and have 72,000 miles on the original rear brakes. Hisst

AGREEd

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flyboy7312
Back