Disadvantage of voyager style bike

Jan 7, 2011
middleton,tenn.
With the back fender on you can't see the rear of the tire only the side.Removed bottom half of fender and this is what i found. Guess its time for new shoes. Only had 5,000 miles on it.

Yes that does happen often on outriggers, a lot of people are using car tires on the rear of thier bikes for longer term tire life. i wished i had thought of that before i bought new tires.

You can expect to wear out the rear tire every 5 to 7, 000 miles. The kits are tough on tires.

I'm running a Dunlop Wintersport Runflat c/t on rear and will soon go double darkside with my Tow Pac. Only have 1k on kit so far so can't comment yet on my c/t mileage on rear yet but will when I get there.

Danson, one of the outrigger manufacturers is explicit that a car tire be fitted at the rear BEFORE the kit is installed, so the correct preload of the kit air shocks can be attained.

I use the trike so seldom (to and from the store, about 1 1/5 miles roundtrip, 3 or 4 times a week) that I doubt I will ever wear the rear tire out.

Jon

I ran a voyager kit for 80K miles over a 10 Yr period on 3 of my bikes. Tire wear was pretty much normal for the rear (10-15K). I never experienced damage as shown on any of the bikes. Since I took the kit on & off I never considered a car tire.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
grimpen
Back