Changing Oil 2013 Triglide:

Sep 28, 2013
Humble,Texas,USA
Anyone out there have any success changing the engine and transmission oil without jacking up the trike? Having trouble locating the drain plugs with the bike sitting on the garage floor. Don't laugh, never had any issues changing the oil on our 2 wheel Goldwing's but this Harley is a little different.

Which hole is giving you trouble? Get you a service manual, has really good pictures of where things are. I actually think the trike is easier to do than my Ultra or my Gold Wing. My Gold Wing had an aftermarket belly pan that made it a pain. The Ultra it seemed the jiffy stand was always in the way.

The only issue I've had doing the 15 Tri was getting the pan under it. No leaning makes it a little tougher, but the Harley pan fits under it fine, just not much room to get your hand in there to get the drain plug out. Loosen it first, get the pan close, then drop it, quickly slide the pan under. The filter is kinda messy. I have the drain thing that is supposed to allow the oil to drain from the filter to the pan, but it never really catches it all. I end up wiping up oil on the frame.

Good Luck.

I never jack mine up to change the engine ,trans or primary oils. There is a plug beside the engine oil drain plug that drains the crank case so don't loosen it. Get a service manual. I am not sure if the owners manual shows it. It is very easy to do. The oil filter will make a big mess so be prepared for that. There are ways to minimize the mess but I found it's just easier to clean up the mess it makes. Most important is to get a service manual and the TG supplement.

No troubles at all changing any of the oils. I have an old turkey pan to catch the oil - it fits perfectly under the engine. I loosen the drain bolt, slide the pan under, squeeze my hand in to unscrew the bolt the last few threads and let the bolt fall into the oil. Then use an extending magnet to retrieve it later. Dump the oil into a plastic gallon jug and take it to Pep Boys or any other auto parts/quick lube/gas station to dispose of it.

Back in the day I just used aluminum foil to make a deflector for the oil. Then I made a filter oil catch thing out of a liter bottle(a little better). Then after installing a new filter, I just spray the whole area with parts cleaner or an engine cleaner and hose off = clean as a whistle. ThumbUp

Changing Oil 2013 Trike:

No troubles at all changing any of the oils. I have an old turkey pan to catch the oil - it fits perfectly under the engine. I loosen the drain bolt, slide the pan under, squeeze my hand in to unscrew the bolt the last few threads and let the bolt fall into the oil. Then use an extending magnet to retrieve it later. Dump the oil into a plastic gallon jug and take it to Pep Boys or any other auto parts/quick lube/gas station to dispose of it.

Back in the day I just used aluminum foil to make a deflector for the oil. Then I made a filter oil catch thing out of a liter bottle(a little better). Then after installing a new filter, I just spray the whole area with parts cleaner or an engine cleaner and hose off = clean as a whistle. ThumbUp

Thanks guys for the info. Just wanted to make sure I was not missing anything. Guess I need to get off the creeper and get down on the floor so I will have more room to see what I am doing.

Thanks guys for the info. Just wanted to make sure I was not missing anything. Guess I need to get off the creeper and get down on the floor so I will have more room to see what I am doing.

Once you've done it a couple times you will be able to do it by feel afterwards. I've changes fluids so many times I don't even have to look anymore, granted life is a whole lot better with a table lift these days.

sprocket6.jpg

Oil was so easy...pan fit under drain and filter...motor heads warm to the touch...pull drain plug and let drain till gone...then used Rivco filter wrench for the filter...let all drip in pan...clean and replace filter and oil plug...sprayed front of motor with Liquid Wrench and let drip dry...three quarts to start and then top off...No mess, No fuss...

I bought a 2010 2 years ago, have had Harley change it,but I just did it myself for the first time two weeks ago. I bought the oil from Harley Low Profile Oil Drain Pan-63795-10

Part Number 63795-10

worked fine

I use the plastic car/truck drive on ramps. You need 3. Im on the tablet at the present so i am not capable to post photos right now. It really makes it simple and easier. Find some one with

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Tool
Back