Brake Caliper Inserts??

What did you find? Any update on fit?

Since you can't order these from HD Online, they are "Only Sold In Stores" ... We have 4 HD Dealerships around us and I checked with all 4 and no one has them. Either version. When I asked to order them I was told (by all HD's) that they would not be available until at least November. November? Really? So I did order a set of the Drag Specialties version because they were so cheap. Less than 1/2 the price of HD. I am told that the Drag Version is plastic and the HD is aluminum. Not surprised ... they should arrive this week and I'll let you know

Sooo ... The Drag Specialties Brake Caliper Inserts arrived today and sadly they are not even remotely close to correct. The insert section of my calipers are approx 4.5" long. The DS inserts are 2" long. The people at DS were great and although they say "From 2000 Thru 2017" they arrived marked "From 2000 Thru 2012" The tech was explaining (and certainly sounded very knowledgeable) that when HD released the M8, they put 4 piston, dual brake lines per caliper system on the Trikes. I believe the dual brake lines were introduced in 2017 and sad story short, the insert addition project seems to be over for now. Maybe someone will see this. I hate being stymied like that, but that's just me

Looks like the calipers on my 2015 measure the same as your 2017. I don’t buy a lot of doodads, but the calipers sure could use a little “dressing up”.

I didn’t remove the factory “decals”. I just masked over the white line with the tape up to and under the decals. Then scuffed them with fine sand paper and wiped with alcohol. Then a coat of self etching primer followed by several light coats of black.

Those factory decals look to be a very light gauge aluminum applied with double sided tape. I’m pretty sure they would be destroyed by any attempt to remove them.

We’ll see how the job holds up.

That looks great dude ... how exactly did you paint them? I'm assuming they stayed on the bile. How did you keep that perfect outside trim line

When I painted just the ends of my Mufflers (Red)…I coated whatever I didn’t want red with a heavy coat of vaseline then when the paint dried I just washed the Vaseline off.. I learned that trick from an old school painter when touching up scratches and chips on cars..👍

Ok so disregard the “trim line” question and please allow me to ask what type of paint … flat, gloss, enamel, acrylic … and did you use a brush?

Thanks so much … really like them

I used Rust-oleum rattle cans, both the self etching primer and satin enamel. I probably would have used gloss for more contrast but I used what I had on my shelf. Consider high temp paint if you’re concerned, I wasn’t.

I used Rust-oleum rattle cans, both the self etching primer and satin enamel. I probably would have used gloss for more contrast but I used what I had on my shelf. Consider high temp paint if you’re concerned, I wasn’t.

Thanks … how did you protect everything around the caliper from overspray? You didn’t remove the calipers did you?

First the tedious job of taping the perimeter of the decal. Then I used pieces of aluminum foil. Foil can be made to cover odd shapes pretty well. Then more tape, newspaper and some old towels (over the fender, forks, in wheel spokes, etc). Use your imagination, then double check your work. Good luck.

Ok so disregard the “trim line” question and please allow me to ask what type of paint … flat, gloss, enamel, acrylic … and did you use a brush?

Thanks so much … really like them

OK here we go again ! they need to be sanded, washed, taped, primed, painted, clear coated, then wet sanded & buffed.Good luck! Xcuse my third grade education I cant spell & have a dirty bike, & still workin on my divorce.:D:D:D:D:D:D:D Oh PS IM STILL DRUNK

OK here we go again ! they need to be sanded, washed, taped, primed, painted, clear coated, then wet sanded & buffed.Good luck! Xcuse my third grade education I cant spell & have a dirty bike, & still workin on my divorce.:D:D:D:D:D:D:D Oh PS IM STILL DRUNK

Hey RD ... Did you see the pic of my Vivid Black oil cooler cover. Sent it to the guys at The Factory Match in SD so they could do all that stuff. Came out super. Looks like it was always that color :) can't send out the inserts, couldn't do the right stuff myself. Great work very reasonable

IMG_7382 (1).jpg IMG_7395.jpg

Hey RD ... Did you see the pic of my Vivid Black oil cooler cover. Sent it to the guys at The Factory Match in SD so they could do all that stuff. Came out super. Looks like it was always that color :) can't send out the inserts, couldn't do the right stuff myself. Great work very reasonable

View attachment 113270 View attachment 113271

Looks like they did a professional job that will last a long time. Pop off your calipers & send them out .

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom Wallen
Back