2019 Oil Migration?

As I understand it, yes, the tranny fluid moves to the primary. So, yep, I would pull the Darby, level off the fluids and keep checking at regular intervals. Harley sells a quick check dipstick for the tranny, like $15, that allows checking it quickly with just your fingers. I would start with like 500 mile increments and keep close tabs on it.

I recently found out that this could affect any hydraulic clutch Harley ... I thought it was just the M8's, so I've added this to my maintenance plan.

Good news ... there is a fix for this issue, a vent, that appears to be working. You're still under warrantee, so it will be gratis for you.

Went into Walter Bros Harley (Peoria) yesterday and the kid spent about 20 minutes trying to find the quick-check tranny dip stick. He finally said they don't make them for the M-8. According to him the only ones available are up to a 2016, even in his aftermarket sources.

I checked J&P and they had one for about $19. Instead of having to get an allen wrench down in there it has a knob on top. Should be a lot easier to take off and on.

Finally racked up 600+ miles since getting the exact fluid level correct in my tranny. The suspense was killing me so I didn't wait to hit 900 miles.

I was one ounce low in the tranny. I removed primary cover and using my turkey baster I removed one ounce. Looking at the close up photo I took 600 miles ago of the primary level I think I returned it to the same level.

So it looks like my migration will be 2 ounces or less every 900 or 1,000 miles.

Update on Migration

We rode to the Paducah area this week and spent a few days riding with a buddy and his wife. He deals with Four Rivers Harley. He told them about my migration issue and they got me in right away and did the kit. I also had them go ahead and do my 10,000 miles service.

He had always told me how great the staff was to work with at Four Rivers. I certainly believe him now. They were all professional and went out of their way to help me out.

Anyone living in that area is lucky to have such a dealership IMHO. Glad my migration issue is done!

I swear every single M8 out there has an oil migration issue, some much worse than others, but I'm starting to think there should be an immediate recall and every single one should have the kit done.

I meet up and ride with 3 different buddies at different times of the year. Two have 2018's and one has an early build 2017. None of them had heard anything about an oil migration issue until I had mine. Heck I didn't know anything about it until I read it here!

So far one has needed to have the kit done and the other two are keeping track.

I guess the only thing we can do is pass the word on whenever we are talking with anyone riding an M8.

I agree there should be a recall to fix the M8's, I do know some on the twin cams had the same problem, I know my cousin did, he traded his 2014 triglide off for a 2017, not sure if he is having trouble or not with his 2017.

As long as some aren't have trouble at this time doesn't mean down the road they won't. Harley will fix the ones that do and it is cheaper for them this way than doing a recall and lets hope the fix works long term. As far as I'm concerned harley has went down hill in the last few years, way to many recalls and problems with bikes, but I'm still going to ride a harley no matter what, call me a glutton for punishment LOL:D

All for now Trampas

I'm hoping after over 12,000 miles on my 2017 M8, 1/2 around town & the rest highway at 75-80mph,

If mine was going to migrate, it would have done it by now.

What baffles me is if most don't have the problem & some do, what's the difference & why can't they find it. Just on this forum, it sure seems like it shows up more in water cooled models, but I don't see how that would make a difference.

I'm hoping after over 12,000 miles on my 2017 M8, 1/2 around town & the rest highway at 75-80mph,

What baffles me is if most don't have the problem & some do, what's the difference & why can't they find it. Just on this forum, it sure seems like it shows up more in water cooled models, but I don't see how that would make a difference.

I have not seen any reported Freewheelers with migration or sumping yet

• Thanks
Reactions: MDO

I think it is a possibility that ALL of the M8 engines have oil migration, or at least up until part way through the 2019 model year build they did apparently.

It would be my guess that a vast majority of riders put on fewer than 4,000 miles a year and store their ride in the winter. In the spring they have their dealer service it and they are good to go for another season. Many do not check fluids and if they do they only check their engine oil. Dealers are just getting bikes in and out and certainly not measuring how much fluid comes out of a tranny when they service it.

I think it shows up on these forums more because participants here probably tend to put more miles on and service their own bikes.

If Harley can get away without doing a total recall they certainly will. They could save a huge amount of money.

I had my fix done last Saturday. They were doing the 10,000 service. When they finished the service, they came out and told me that Harley had a recall for the Transfer fix. and they were going to do it then. According to the tech, all the late models of the 2019's and all the 2020's were done at the factory. Mine was built in March, so mine was not done at the factory. I don't think they actually had a "fix" till much later.

Does anyone know if this recall noted by 520fd will apply to 2017s?

If you had noted with your dealer you were having an oil migration problem then yes I would talk to them about the vent for the fix

If their answer is no you can buy the vent and install it yourself

To date the MOCO has NOT issued a recall for this only a tech bulletin

I do my own service and after my initial 1,000 miles, my Freewheeler has not used any fluids in any hole, (knock on wood).

I have 5,000 miles on the Redline Shockproof Transmission fluid and it has not used a drop & it's still pretty & pink. I'm leaving it in till 10,000 miles usage. Like Jack mentioned, it seems to be oil/water cooled models on this website anyway.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flyboy7312
Back