2014 HD TG Modifications

Sep 21, 2013
SW Missouri
I got my trike 2 weeks ago but cant take possession until the dealer gets another one to replace it on the showroom floor, HD rules I guess, but this has given me time to look for parts I so desperately need. I'm putting a Kilktronics K-2 dual lever for brakes and a Pengel or Kilktronics push button auto gear shift, I don't have any experience with any of these products so any advice on these or other products you know about would be greatly appreciated. Also has anyone put a hitch on a '14, the wheelbase is a little narrower from the '13 and haven't found a hitch that says its for the '14, will the '13 hitch work, and believe it or not the dealer cant answer most my questions due to the trike being so new and all the changes they have yet to see or experience. Any advice or direction would be of great help. Thanks again.

I got my trike 2 weeks ago but cant take possession until the dealer gets another one to replace it on the showroom floor, HD rules I guess, but this has given me time to look for parts I so desperately need. I'm putting a Kilktronics K-2 dual lever for brakes and a Pengel or Kilktronics push button auto gear shift, I don't have any experience with any of these products so any advice on these or other products you know about would be greatly appreciated. Also has anyone put a hitch on a '14, the wheelbase is a little narrower from the '13 and haven't found a hitch that says its for the '14, will the '13 hitch work, and believe it or not the dealer cant answer most my questions due to the trike being so new and all the changes they have yet to see or experience. Any advice or direction would be of great help. Thanks again.

I don't believe that is a HD rule but rather a dealer requirement. They just want one on the showroom floor so folks can see one.

I know Pingle has had mixed reliability, some who have them have also installed a right side shifter in case the Pingle fails, I haven't heard anything about the Kliktronics. The wheel base of the 14 is the same as the previous model years, I haven't seen anything where they made any frame changes for 14 so I would imagine the hitch from a 13 would work. Your dealer should know about the changes since they have access to the technical presentation that is released to each dealer detailing mechanical and cosmetic changes for each HD model produced.

I don't want to come off too harsh but your dealer holding your trike hostage really makes my blood boil.

Your dealer is fibbing to you, there is no such HD rule. If there was such a rule my dad who took delivery of the very 1st 09 Triglide in this area wouldn't have been able to take it home because the next one was about a month out from being delivered to the dealer.

This is my 2010 the day it was being unloaded from the truck, it came off the truck, went into the service dept and then to my home. No stop to the showroom, I got the 1st 10 delivered in August 09 and the next one was several weeks out.

mytgcrate_zps68ce6fba.jpg

I'd be calling HD customer service and asking them what gives. Make sure you look it over real close, its setting on the show room floor where it will get marked up. I've seen trikes with kick marks on the fenders setting on the showroom because people don't know the proper way to mount and dismount a trike, plus the dealer staff can't watch it every second of every day. I'd demand they allow you to either take possession or take it off the showroom floor and place it in the back where they store bikes. Don't stand for it, you have a dealer who is a wolf in sheep's clothing.

It is the first one delivered to this dealership which is tiny in comparison to others and my money is only holding it until the other arrives, In the past I dealt with the biggest
HD dealership in KC, the one that has the trike is 30 miles from my house (KC is 3 hrs.) and heard good things about them so thought I would give them a chance. I travel 300 days out of the year so I don't get home much and when I do I stay there so I never new much or cared about my local dealer, just word of mouth. Looks like I might take a trip to KC.

I have also heard about the Pingel failures was hoping someone had better luck, Ive only found two options for the electric/air shifters this is why they both cost over $1000 bucks for $50 cylinder, anything for the disabled is marked up at least 300% from what ive seen in the last year. Im now a paraplegic so any kind of foot control is not a option and thank you msocko3 for the hitch info that's one less thing to find.

If you decide to buy that TG from that not too truthful dealer I would demand that the dealer hire, Monday AM, a professional 3M film installer and have your TG protected while it is being held captive!:gah::Shrug::wave4:

Going in tomorrow to have a chat and check out the trike and see if its been used abused or stepped on by shoes. Im also going to check the mileage to see if its been test rode, I don't think they know I wrote down the mileage after they said it wouldn't be rode after I took it, hell I even reset the trip meter when I was checking it out. If I like what I see I will throw that 3M idea in there face if they keep it any longer. Thanks for all your ideas and help

"I got my trike 2 weeks ago but cant take possession until the dealer gets another one to replace it on the showroom floor, HD rules I guess,"
No such HD rule.

Well I think that's a bunch of BS. I'd tell the dealer they can keep it on the showroom floor and go buy from a different dealer.
When I got my 11 it came off the truck went to service and then home with me.
Also when they do finally let you have your trike check the odometer. If theres more than 1 or 2 miles on it refuse to buy it.
Because if there is more miles on it than that it would mean others have been riding it for what ever reason.
My dealer here services the new bikes and they do put 1 to 2 miles on them to test ride them and make sure all is working good. Any more miles than that means someone is joy riding.
It is actually a rare occurrence for my dealer to even have a Tri Glide on the show room floor as most of them are sold before the dealer gets them. As soon as they receive them they are serviced and delivered to the buyer.
Ya if you do go to another dealer you may have to wait for them to get a trike in but whats the difference ? Your waiting to get the one that's supposed to be yours any way.
If I were you I would have had the trike 2 weeks ago or walked out the door.
But then I have 5 HD dealers with in 50 miles of me. Some may not have that option.
Dan

Going in tomorrow to have a chat and check out the trike and see if its been used abused or stepped on by shoes. Im also going to check the mileage to see if its been test rode, I don't think they know I wrote down the mileage after they said it wouldn't be rode after I took it, hell I even reset the trip meter when I was checking it out. If I like what I see I will throw that 3M idea in there face if they keep it any longer. Thanks for all your ideas and help

Checking the mileage was a great idea, I hope they have protected it so there are no issues.

I'd tell that dealer to either give me my purchase or give me my money back. Reminds me of the days in the mid to late 1990's when Harley dealers were merely order takers since many put prospective buyers on "lists" and were able to pick and choose who got to buy and who didn't. Those days are OVER and Harley needs to wake up and face the new economy. I would report that dealer to national headquarters and ask them to help. It isn't your fault that Harley doesn't produce enough Trigliides to make it possible for the dealer to have more than one.

I have a 2014 TG with a trailer hitch on it. Nothing has changed a far as hitch mounting. Wire harness for rear lights is easier to get at. Right on top behind the mount for the passengers hand hold bracket

I have a 2014 TG with a trailer hitch on it. Nothing has changed a far as hitch mounting. Wire harness for rear lights is easier to get at. Right on top behind the mount for the passengers hand hold bracket

Sorry to steal the thread.
What hitch and harness did you install?

Thanks for the hitch info, Big help. Went to the dealership and with all the help I received from you on this thread they did everything I asked for, Free 3M protectant, extra luggage, take it off the floor and most important they released it to me. I wasn't in a big hurry to get the trike because Im waiting for $4000 in parts to get here just to be able to ride, motorcycle accident earlier this year left me a paraplegic so I need adaptive equip. and after 6 months in hospital and rehab Im ready to ride, my last part should be here tomorrow so as soon I get everything installed Im back in the wind, on a trike this time. Got a big smile just thinking about.

Thanks for the hitch info, Big help. Went to the dealership and with all the help I received from you on this thread they did everything I asked for, Free 3M protectant, extra luggage, take it off the floor and most important they released it to me. I wasn't in a big hurry to get the trike because Im waiting for $4000 in parts to get here just to be able to ride, motorcycle accident earlier this year left me a paraplegic so I need adaptive equip. and after 6 months in hospital and rehab Im ready to ride, my last part should be here tomorrow so as soon I get everything installed Im back in the wind, on a trike this time. Got a big smile just thinking about.

This is some good news, I'm glad your dealer took your concerns to hart. Sorry to hear about your accident, glad your able to get back in the wind.

If that happened to me i would have said "Keep it, i'll go somewhere else to get one".

When I got off work one day, I had a message on my phone that my Tri Glide arrived that morning. I went there straight from work and bought it that afternoon. I couldn't take it home for a few weeks because of the cold and snow on the ground. They parked it in the farthest back corner of their shop away from prying eyes. They wouldn't let anyone near it. That's the way it should be.

Sorry to steal the thread.
What hitch and harness did you install?

Went with Bushtec for both. They did not have a plug and play harness for the 14's yet used the universal harness. When they come out with plug and play harness will change it. Have a Bushtec trailer with a pin connector rather than a Ball.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gyl
Back