What Mufflers on your HD ?

I'm the exception to the rule on this subject.
Completely stock on my 2014 - love the sound - almost too loud after 6 hours on the highway - thankfully I have the updated sound system to help drown out the noise.
Can't even imagine anything louder.

Compared to 5 years ago, Harley really improved the sound of the exhaust. My 2010 Limited was the first Harley that I thought had a decent sounding exhaust.

On my 2012 TG I had H-D Fatshotz installed (they looked good) - just a hair louder then stock. Not worth the extra money IMO.

I'm too old for all this loud exhaust crap - I don't need for people to look at me anymore while riding down the street.

When riding as a group I stay away from all the chapter members with loud pipes and it seems to be catching on - more and more members are staying away from them too.

The only good thing I can say about loud Harleys is that they at least sound better then loud UJM bikes. :)

I'm with ya on the stock exhaust Gary. This a touring platform and for the most part I have the BSR on-board. I don't want a loud exhaust system especially for trips.

The only reason I have upgraded bikes in the past was to get rid of the 'calf cooker' on the right side. ;) I went with the Fullsac system on my previous two CVOs and was very happy. Better performance and reduced heat. The 2" baffles were slightly louder but had the perfect sound level for long distance riding. I may do the same mod in the spring but still undecided. For now, I am happy with the stock performance and sound on my '14 Tri Glide.

Jerry

2014 TG with Fuel Moto Catless ceramic headers and Rush slash cut slip-ons with W258 Thunder Torques replacing Rush baffles. You can hear it, it's the last bike in the video below.

It is pretty loud, fine for me, but a little louder than Mary liked after 10,000 miles.

They are the same slip-on set-up we ran on the 2011 TG for over 50k miles, but that was with the stock headers decatted, and the lower compression and milder cams. On the 2011 it was not as loud as it is on the 2014.

btw, never had a complaint from any LEO's anywhere all over the USA and Canada.

Right now I am running some slip-ons I've made from scratch...still fine tuning them. Have about 1000 miles on them and every incarnation has been loud enough for me and not too loud for Mary. :) They sound good and produce good power, but still trying to squeeze a bit more power out of them.

Kevin

Well, I have a 2015 Freewheeler and its a bit shorter than the TriGlide. The Freewheeler being a new model and different from the TriGlide sort of makes the options limited at this time. I did not want the extra sticking out the back and really not liking any of the existing slip-ons offered for it, I took a different approach.

I drilled out the stock muffler baffles and then I replaced them with a set of Vance & Hines, Short-Shot replacement baffles (modified the stock mufflers to hold the baffles in with a bolt and a spacer).

I was very pleased with the results - got a bit more response in the throttle and a very nice sound - it cost me less than $100.00 and 45 minutes of my time......

And, it looks virtually stock, you could not tell unless I told you.

I do plan to install a "Decat-ed" head-pipe soon as well - I bought it already. (I just had Roeders weld in some 18mm Bungs in the replacement de-catted, headpipe, up by the heads for Wide-Band O2 or stock O2 relocation - I figured get it done then I can adapt to just about any Tuner offered).

Next, I want to get that replacement headpipe ceramic coated and then will install it and a new SE intake - then comes the Tune.

Well, that is the plan.........

On the mufflers, I like mufflers with removable baffles, I find them better made in general and I think easier to modify and tune if needed or wanted.

Springman
I too have a FLRT and want to Change the exhaust. I talked to the local Harley dealership and the parts guy said they don't have anything for it yet because it is so new.

Where did you get the decatted headpipe? Is it for a different model or the FLRT?

This is mainly about 2 wheel configurations and trike kits.
The SE mufflers that come off a CVO street glide/road glide/ultra the left muffler does have a block in it. This restricts the air flow. The reason I am pointing this out is if you are running true dual exhaust the CVO take offs are not a good. Put your hand on each exhaust with the engine running and you can see the difference. I have a 2012 CVO street glide with the cat less header and using the stock cvo mufflers. There is a quiet of bit difference in the air flow. Just the cat less header gave me all the sound I wanted, sounds very good to me.
The SE mufflers do not have the block that I have found thus far
Hope this helps someone

We have installed Vance and Hines slip ons on my wife's 2013 Tri-Glide. She says they could be louder, but they do have a nice deep sound. I also like the fact that they have more ground clearance than stock, because we do load this trike into an enclosed trailer sometimes. B&P.

Just had my 2015 TG armed with rush head pipes and V&H rounds with my lift kit and it has a good rumble to it now and the ride is much better that when it was stock.
MHO or 2 cents worth.

Ride safe and FREE

Ken

For anyone else that reads this thread later on: When I was looking around for pipes for our 2012 Triglide I called V&H for other info but got on to this question: Do larger or smaller muffler diameters produce deeper sounds. He said deeper sound tone always comes from larger diameter mufflers.

PC

I put the Vance and Hines setup: True Duals,Triglide slipons,V&H big mouth AC, S&S 557 cam, Tuner and Dynoed. Great Sound thru the Gears and goes smoothly while cruising. Good sound and good ground clearance.:Coffee:all together around $3k. (I didn't do the work). Now you have plenty of ideas and ways to make that expensive trike Go!!

2015 mysterious red tri-glide

my 2015 has a s&s stealth air cleaner/s&s power tune headers/adaptor kit/power vision and a set of tailgunner gunships. the entire system looks and runs great.:pepper::clapping:

Screaming Eagle Fatshotz for me. The bonus is that they are tuneable. You can add sound or not and change the power band according to both HD and Supertrapp who sells them as Fatshots.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Delverc
Back