What did you do to Your Tri-Glide Today?

Made The Decision

Used the ZillaCash and Store Credit from the Avon Cobra Chrome Trike Tire refund from Revzilla on a Heated Pant Liner Order. Will buy a replacement Cobra Chrome Trike Tire next spring from their Sister Company's Cycle Gear Store @ Little Rock.

Given the much cooler temps we're already having, I believe the Heated Pant Liner will be a good addition to the Heated Jacket on order from The Warming Store. These two along with my Heated Socks and Gloves, should keep me nice and toasty on longer rides this winter.

Cool Ride

Yesterdat I left the house to lead a Legion Riders ride, it was 28 degrees. When I got to the meet spot, there was just 2 of us that showed up. Instead of a couple hundred mile ride we decided we'd just call it good and go home:) They say just showing up is 50% of the job(Coffee)

Finally over the creepy crud

So, since it is was pretty warm this morning, I decided to do the burger run to Green River, Ut. It's 105 ,miles one way and I want to be back to see LSU Alabama .. great ride. I really love the Fat Bottom Girl .. "She Makes my rocking World Go Round" :D

Didn't make it back until the start of the second half .... What happened to Alabama?????

Didn't make it back until the start of the second half .... What happened to Alabama?????

Apparently ... Alabama took a cat nap during the first half ... but they sure came alive in the second half and made a game of it ... :D ... I didn't really care who won ... but ... when those two teams get together, there is usually a good game in the making. No let down in the second half ... enjoyed watching that.

Put the Tri in storage for the winter. No riding for the last couple weeks anyway (cold, snow & salt). This fall (or lack thereof) really sucks. Countdown to spring has begun. :(

Wasn't today...was last Thursday.

Installed the Primary Vent Kit. Hopefully it will stop the transfer I've been having of oil from the transmission to the primary.

Will know in a week or so.

Kevin

Seems like a straight forward install ... here's hoping the vent solves the issues. Great video, looks like it maybe helpful for us to understand exactly what the vent "fix" does and how the dealers will install it.

Playing devils advocate, will you guys doing this void the warrantee? Guessing not since it's a Harley Kit that is available for the general public. Also, you have a video of the actual install that shows you installed it correctly :D. I'm wondering if maybe Alan should do this to his 14 ... even if there is no evidence of migration? Might be a really cheap insurance policy, especially with my chosen fluid combination.

So am I understanding that the primary developes a slightly lower pressure than the transmission? Or maybe even a vacuum? This change in pressure is what causes the migration? The vent prevents that and thereby slowing or stopping the transfer? That's my guess since putting a vent on the primary side would have to keep the primary at atmospheric pressure pretty much all the time. I'm also guessing the transmission has some sort of vent also ... or there may be a chance the fluid migrates the other direction.:Shrug:

Seems to be a pretty interesting fix. I'm just curious as to why the migration didn't show up until the 14's and more so on the M8's. I know it has something to do with the hydraulic clutches ... so the hydraulic clutch is causing this change in pressure? Maybe the cycling of the clutch with the hydraulic fluid is acting like a pump and creating a slight vacuum? Does the installation instructions give any "theory as to why fluid migrates"?

One more observation/question (sorry, it's how my brain works ... drives me nuts) ... so if your bike/trike is experiencing the migration, I'm guessing you pretty much have to keep the same fluid in the trans as you have in the primary (Syn 3)? For instance, putting shock proof trans fluid in the trans wouldn't be a good idea ... pretty sure the clutch wouldn't like that ... even diluted (5 oz of shock proof mixed with the 30 something oz that are in the primary). Inquiring minds (at least mine) want to know :Shrug:.

Glad I'm not the engineer that had to figure that out ... LOL. Of course ... my thoughts on this could be in left field all together ... :D ... I can see me setting up test engines with gauges on both sides and recording the pressures on 15 minute intervals. I picture lots of hoses running all over the place, me in a white lab coat and thicker than my normal glasses ... pocket protector with pens and even a small thermometer and other highly technical "stuff" in there. Maybe an oval shaped patch on the back that says "A.B. Normal Engineering".

I have warned y'all about my brain ... :AGGHH:

Seems like a straight forward install ... here's hoping the vent solves the issues. Great video, looks like it maybe helpful for us to understand exactly what the vent "fix" does and how the dealers will install it.

Playing devils advocate, will you guys doing this void the warrantee? Guessing not since it's a Harley Kit that is available for the general public. Also, you have a video of the actual install that shows you installed it correctly :D. I'm wondering if maybe Alan should do this to his 14 ... even if there is no evidence of migration? Might be a really cheap insurance policy, especially with my chosen fluid combination.

So am I understanding that the primary developes a slightly lower pressure than the transmission? Or maybe even a vacuum? This change in pressure is what causes the migration? The vent prevents that and thereby slowing or stopping the transfer? That's my guess since putting a vent on the primary side would have to keep the primary at atmospheric pressure pretty much all the time. I'm also guessing the transmission has some sort of vent also ... or there may be a chance the fluid migrates the other direction.:Shrug:

Seems to be a pretty interesting fix. I'm just curious as to why the migration didn't show up until the 14's and more so on the M8's. I know it has something to do with the hydraulic clutches ... so the hydraulic clutch is causing this change in pressure? Maybe the cycling of the clutch with the hydraulic fluid is acting like a pump and creating a slight vacuum? Does the installation instructions give any "theory as to why fluid migrates"?

One more observation/question (sorry, it's how my brain works ... drives me nuts) ... so if your bike/trike is experiencing the migration, I'm guessing you pretty much have to keep the same fluid in the trans as you have in the primary (Syn 3)? For instance, putting shock proof trans fluid in the trans wouldn't be a good idea ... pretty sure the clutch wouldn't like that ... even diluted (5 oz of shock proof mixed with the 30 something oz that are in the primary). Inquiring minds (at least mine) want to know :Shrug:.

Glad I'm not the engineer that had to figure that out ... LOL. Of course ... my thoughts on this could be in left field all together ... :D ... I can see me setting up test engines with gauges on both sides and recording the pressures on 15 minute intervals. I picture lots of hoses running all over the place, me in a white lab coat and thicker than my normal glasses ... pocket protector with pens and even a small thermometer and other highly technical "stuff" in there. Maybe an oval shaped patch on the back that says "A.B. Normal Engineering".

Alan, I doubt putting your H D vent kit would void a warranty tho a phone call to your dealer should answer that

The hydraulic clutch actuator piston shrouds the push rod blocking the fluid from draining back past the trap door bearings like it should

Too much of any fluid and or fluid mix is going to give you clutch disc problems, since HD is now selling a new fluid for both primary and tranny we will see how this plays out

The trannys have their own vent tube, the new fix HD has is IMO a band aid, they need to correct the original problem IMO as to the transfer issue ( cable pull clutches do not exhibit this problem as of this date) H D knew of this as early as 2014

Alan, I doubt putting your H D vent kit would void a warranty tho a phone call to your dealer should answer that

The hydraulic clutch actuator piston shrouds the push rod blocking the fluid from draining back past the trap door bearings like it should

Too much of any fluid and or fluid mix is going to give you clutch disc problems, since HD is now selling a new fluid for both primary and tranny we will see how this plays out

The trannys have their own vent tube, the new fix HD has is IMO a band aid, they need to correct the original problem IMO as to the transfer issue ( cable pull clutches do not exhibit this problem as of this date) H D knew of this as early as 2014

As of now, my 14 hasn't shown any transfer ... I've added a maintenance check to check the tranny level every 500 miles. My last service (I was swapping all fluids prior to what I thought was gonna be a Kerrville run til mom went down) It was clear the shockproof had not gone into the primary ... but I will keep eyes on it ... :D

Put the Tri in storage for the winter. No riding for the last couple weeks anyway (cold, snow & salt). This fall (or lack thereof) really sucks. Countdown to spring has begun. :(

accb002f6c04551c3c75148cf933817d.jpg

Kevin

Took me a minute on the abnormal engineering. :laugh:

Yeah, straightforward install. No, won't void my warranty. HD part, done per HD instructions.

Instructions give no reason for the vent kit. But the theory is that as the primary warms up and cools down there is a vacuum created that pulls oil from the transmission. Some have said that the vacuum is/could also be coming from the engine main, into the primary.

As Jack mentioned, this vent is not addressing the cause of the migration. Obviously there have been millions of engines that did not migrate and did not have a primary vent.

To me it does not matter. I just don't want my trans fluid going into my primary, and hopefully the vent will stop that.

I am running redline shockproof in the trans and syn3 in the primary. While a bunch of redline (far more than 5 oz) has ended up in the primary, so far I have had no negative results (clutch slippage, etc.) from it.

Yep, not addressing the root for sure. Never had the problem on the '14 and thought I would get away without in on the '19. No such luck. Hopefully it's behind me now.

Kevin

Took me a minute on the abnormal engineering. :laugh:

Yeah, straightforward install. No, won't void my warranty. HD part, done per HD instructions.

Instructions give no reason for the vent kit. But the theory is that as the primary warms up and cools down there is a vacuum created that pulls oil from the transmission. Some have said that the vacuum is/could also be coming from the engine main, into the primary.

As Jack mentioned, this vent is not addressing the cause of the migration. Obviously there have been millions of engines that did not migrate and did not have a primary vent.

To me it does not matter. I just don't want my trans fluid going into my primary, and hopefully the vent will stop that.

I am running redline shockproof in the trans and syn3 in the primary. While a bunch of redline (far more than 5 oz) has ended up in the primary, so far I have had no negative results (clutch slippage, etc.) from it.

Yep, not addressing the root for sure. Never had the problem on the '14 and thought I would get away without in on the '19. No such luck. Hopefully it's behind me now.

Kevin

So in your opinion, if I have note seen this migration in the 6k+ miles ... I probably don't need to do it ... worse case, I believe it's a slow transfer, so even if it starts, it's not gonna cause a failure of either primary or transmission. Then I could do it. I carry ample tools to "move fluid around" on a trip ... :D

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom Wallen
Back