Warming up Harley before starting?

CapeTeddy

40+ Posts
Oct 22, 2019
Quincy Florida
Hi, I recently moved from Southwest Florida to Northern Florida. The weather up here is much colder and I have no room in the garage for my Freewheeler. I keep it in a large tent but my concern is the battery and starting when the weather drops into the 20's overnight and mornings.. The weather warms up during the day so if I decide to ride, the trike might still be cold. I don't want to ruin the battery or starter and another Harley rider suggested I run a space heater for a couple hours before I start it? Sounds like a good idea but I have no experience with cold weather and trikes. Is it a good idea to run a space heater in the tent? Any suggestions? Thanks

Hi, I recently moved from Southwest Florida to Northern Florida. The weather up here is much colder and I have no room in the garage for my Freewheeler. I keep it in a large tent but my concern is the battery and starting when the weather drops into the 20's overnight and mornings.. The weather warms up during the day so if I decide to ride, the trike might still be cold. I don't want to ruin the battery or starter and another Harley rider suggested I run a space heater for a couple hours before I start it? Sounds like a good idea but I have no experience with cold weather and trikes. Is it a good idea to run a space heater in the tent? Any suggestions? Thanks

Just keep it on a battery maintainer not a trickle charger a battery maintainer and you’ll be all right……

We have 3 bikes in an unheated garage. We get below zero temps in the winter. I rotate a battery tender between them. No problems starting them up (if I have to).

If I'm going to ride in cold weather I'll let them idle until the RPMs drop and the fluids warm up.

A battery tender is your trikes best friend, I live in Jax Florida. My trike stays on a tender when I am not riding

The colder weather will be a real test on your battery, you may want to have your battery load tested now

When I lived in Minnesota, my bikes stayed on tenders also, they never failed to start in my attached but not heated garage

I did ride many days in the cold ( some days never got up to 25 degrees

The bike/ trike needs to be fully warmed up in colder weather for sure before riding, I would wait til the rocker boxes felt warm to the touch with a bare hand

A battery tender is your trikes best friend, I live in Jax Florida. My trike stays on a tender when I am not riding

The colder weather will be a real test on your battery, you may want to have your battery load tested now

When I lived in Minnesota, my bikes stayed on tenders also, they never failed to start in my attached but not heated garage

I did ride many days in the cold ( some days never got up to 25 degrees

Jack Klarich;872430] The bike/ trike needs to be fully warmed up in colder weather for sure before riding, I would wait til the rocker boxes felt warm to the touch with a bare hand

Sounds good. I'm in Quincy, west of Tallahassee and it dropped to the low 20's a couple weeks go. I'm originally from Chicago but moved to South Florida in 1983 so I been a bit de-wintered. I've kept a tender on it all the time since I bought it in 2019 but I'll have it checked. Thanks

We have 3 bikes in an unheated garage. We get below zero temps in the winter. I rotate a battery tender between them. No problems starting them up (if I have to).

If I'm going to ride in cold weather I'll let them idle until the RPMs drop and the fluids warm up.
Good idea, Thanks

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Delverc
Back