Understanding Honda Service manual

Jul 26, 2016
N Ky USA
I took all the needed panels, connectors, etc. off to remove my fairing on my Audio Comfort IV GoldWing. Now the job of reassembly and I want to get it back in order so I don't have to remove something I put back on out of order. I took notes but out of curiosity wanted to know how you would read Hondas instructions as given in the service manual.

I have included a picture of the order of disassembly and reassembly according to the Honda Service Manual. I would appreciate your opinion of how you read the order of reassembly.

IMG_5364.JPG

Untitled.jpg

I've never used that chart, but I guess you'd read it across the top, left to right, then drop down to the next line, etc.

My question is: what is it you're trying to do or fix that requires removal of the entire faring? Re-paint or something?

I've never used that chart, but I guess you'd read it across the top, left to right, then drop down to the next line, etc.

lgjhn, I did get it apart OK and as I started to put it back everything in the manual says "do it in reverse order". Thus I've got the (16) fairing on and as I move up the flow chart in reverse order if I go left at the first intersect line it has me putting the (17) Left Top Shelter on. In my mind I can't believe that's right at this point. If I skip that line and go up the flow chart I come to the line to the right and it says (9) Inner fairing which sounds right as the center line going up has me with the (2) windscreen and I know that's not correct. I know there's a correct method to read this chart. I've actually talked to 3 friends (1 mechanic & 1 regular Joe guy) we all three were differing in our opinions. I was hoping someone could guide me and prevent me from making a mistake in the reassemble.

My question is: what is it you're trying to do or fix that requires removal of the entire faring? Re- paint or something?

lgjhn, that's a good question and a fairly long story but to keep it short. Not due to any thing I'm responsible for I had to replace the fairing.

I used to have a 2009 Lvl1. I have the Honda Service Manual. I had many things removed from the 1st day when I took the triple tree out to install a rake kit.

The process I used was to start with the item I wanted to remove. The manual would then direct me to something else that had to be removed first. It was just a process of taking things off until I had the stock triple tree off, then when I had the new triple tree in, I just went backwards thru the steps in the manual. I didn't see a flow chart.

I used to have a 2009 Lvl1. I have the Honda Service Manual. I had many things removed from the 1st day when I took the triple tree out to install a rake kit.

The process I used was to start with the item I wanted to remove. The manual would then direct me to something else that had to be removed first. It was just a process of taking things off until I had the stock triple tree off, then when I had the new triple tree in, I just went backwards thru the steps in the manual. I didn't see a flow chart.

Thats essentially what I’m doing know. I thought if I knew how to read the flow chart it would be a good double check for me with this project and be good for any future projects. Thanks for your response, by the way I’m assuming that’s your trike in your avatar. Love that color!