Trunk Latch Cable

rocket1lf

450+ Posts
Dec 7, 2013
Hot Arizona, USA
Does anyone know where I can get a trunk latch cable? Mine broke on a trip. I have been trying to get one from TBMS for the last three days. I was told it was a special size that was made for them. They tell me they have them, but they need to get a price from management and management is not getting back to them with a price. What a way to run a business!
Thx Rick

I wish I could help but I don't know much about Stallions ... but you might try an aircraft repair place ... they are always making cables .. might be pricey, but as a last resort .. who knows. Maybe a boat repair place too.

I finally got some answers from TBMS. My trunk latch cable must have broken some time in the past, or at the factory, because the end that goes on the key bracket was jury rigged to work. The offset end was missing and the cable was wrapped around the key bracket and crimped. The cable broke about 1/4 inch from the crimp. TBMS finally got a price for the new cable ($19.95 plus shipping) and it should be on it's way to me shortly. I replaced the ignition switch and now it will start without having to turn the key against the stop with extreme force. Rick

Rocket, I would like to know what is involved in changing out the cable once you get it done. I have looked at that panel that is riveted in and wondered how things are laid out behind it. Some pictures of behind that panel would be appreciated. Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

All you need to do to remove the cover is drill out the rivets. The latch assembly is bolted on with three bolts under it. Very easy. To reinstall the cover, just install new rivets. I haven't done that part yet as I need to get the cable first. The first picture is of the new cable. The next two are of my old cable, that is broken, and latch assembly and of the opening in the trunk without the riveted on cover. View attachment 27682View attachment 27683View attachment 27684

- - - Updated - - -

The problem with the pictures is this site. They downloaded yesterday and they showed up on this thread when I posted it. Now they don't work. I have no clue why. Rick

Yes it has broke before. Actually it did 2 years ago in Daytona Beach. I was at their display on Beach St and they showed me how to get the license tag light out and gain access to the broken cable. Put a tie wrap on the cable to get home with then did the repair myself. No issues since because the reason the cable broke in the first place was the tight fit of the cable next the lock area cover. Fashioned my own replacement cable and left the cover off. No issues.

Yes it has broke before. Actually it did 2 years ago in Daytona Beach. I was at their display on Beach St and they showed me how to get the license tag light out and gain access to the broken cable. Put a tie wrap on the cable to get home with then did the repair myself. No issues since because the reason the cable broke in the first place was the tight fit of the cable next the lock area cover. Fashioned my own replacement cable and left the cover off. No issues.

Do you have pictures of how you repaired it? Just in case it happens again. Thx Rick

After a bunch of phone calls to Richard, sending photos and receiving a cable that I couldn't figure out how to install, Richard finally went out to some warehouse and found a fiberglass trunk lid. The way the latch assembly and cable is set up is completely different than the ABS lids. He sent me the whole assembly and now everything works great. I can open and close my trunk again. YeeHawww Rick

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JStogner
Back