TG clutch cable-Now we know

Bikerbozo

Class Clown
Jun 9, 2010
Coram, NY USA
For those who always wondered how long the clutch cable can last in a ‘10 TG....The answer is 130,000 miles....and change!

Mine broke on the Belt Pkwy in Brooklyn in rush hour. Rode it for 2 miles ‘till it was safe to get off at the Canarsie Pier. That’s 2 miles in traffic without a clutch. The TG is a lot harder than my old 2 wheelers to operate that way. Took 5 1/2 hours for Motow to get a flatbed not afraid to pick me up. 60 miles from home. And too late for any shops. Had flatbed back up to my trailer at home. Not that easy to transfer, but no way I could have pushed up ramp. Local shop has it now. Also noticing metal in tranny magnet plug. Might be getting time to rebuild that also.

Probably the radiation from where I was earlier in day ate through the cable.

Attachments

• ECFD786A-07D7-4CF8-B292-C4E19C0E3E45.jpeg
    ECFD786A-07D7-4CF8-B292-C4E19C0E3E45.jpeg
    358.8 KB · Views: 331
For those who always wondered how long the clutch cable can last in a ‘10 TG....The answer is 130,000 miles....and change!

Mine broke on the Belt Pkwy in Brooklyn in rush hour. Rode it for 2 miles ‘till it was safe to get off at the Canarsie Pier. That’s 2 miles in traffic without a clutch. The TG is a lot harder than my old 2 wheelers to operate that way. Took 5 1/2 hours for Motow to get a flatbed not afraid to pick me up. 60 miles from home. And too late for any shops. Had flatbed back up to my trailer at home. Not that easy to transfer, but no way I could have pushed up ramp. Local shop has it now. Also noticing metal in tranny magnet plug. Might be getting time to rebuild that also.

Haa, The Belt Parkway......I know it well or used to it was one of the narrowest Parkways in the city.. I would drag race on the connecting highway , Before the Verrazano Bridge was built....Before 1964..

Is the Mill Basin draw bridge still there.. Cant tell you how many times i was stuck behind that when it was open...:gah:

Haa, The Belt Parkway......I know it well or used to it was one of the narrowest Parkways in the city.. I would drag race on the connecting highway , Before the Verrazano Bridge was built....Before 1964..

Is the Mill Basin draw bridge still there.. Cant tell you how many times i was stuck behind that when it was open...:gah:

They’ve been raising a lot of those draw bridges up and rebuilding going on on road right now. I can’t remember last time stuck at a draw bridge. Still heavy traffic. But smoother.

Nuclear power gets such a bad wrap ... I worked in it for 25 years and I'm fine ... sorta ... well mostly ... It's just that now I have a hard time buying riding boots ... with that sixth toe on each foot.

...And all that AGE you have accumulated, which you keep referring to... :p :xszpv:

If that’s the case , Indian Point is only 5 miles as the crow flies from me,

indian point is only 5 miles

indian Point is only 5 miles

indian Point is only5 Miles

...... ..... .. .... . .....

If that’s the case , Indian Point is only 5 miles as the crow flies from me,

indian Point is only 5 miles

indian Point is only5 Miles

...... ..... .. .... . .....

But the word on the River is that the 3 eyed fish next to the outlet pipe taste better than shad...:Shrug:

That may be the best stash jewelry ever.....but I have to ask.....how the hell do you keep them from beating the hell out of you? I have trouble keeping my mustache hair from blowing up my nose!

jc

For those who always wondered how long the clutch cable can last in a ‘10 TG....The answer is 130,000 miles....and change! .......

I used to carry a spare routed next to and taped to the working cable to make a change easy. Of course I never had a cable break because I did that. Magic.

I used to carry a spare routed next to and taped to the working cable to make a change easy. Of course I never had a cable break because I did that. Magic.

That was Standard Operating Procedure with the Victory iron frame bikes...Carrying a spare cluch cable....

Before adjusting a Harley clutch, I always lubed the cable and all hardware, let it soak in for a while

A properly adjusted and lubed cable can go a lot of miles as we see here

Keep in mind the cable will stretch some while in service, This is the time to adjust it;)

That may be the best stash jewelry ever.....but I have to ask.....how the hell do you keep them from beating the hell out of you? I have trouble keeping my mustache hair from blowing up my nose!

jc

Those are small colored rubber bands tying my mustache. Keeps it under control when riding, doesn’t hurt if it hits me....and....they hate it at work! Win, win aaand win.

The wife was using them to make bracelets with. I like the look better than black rubber bands I used a long time ago last time I wore it like this.

When I had a ‘77 FLH I used to carry a spare clutch cable. That one attached externally. The TG cable is internally connected. Not something you would want to try on the roadside.

Now on to other fun stuff. Tax refund check on the way? Check. Mortgage finally paid off this month also? Check.

At 130k service a couple weeks ago mechanic noted some metal particles on magnetic plug in tranny. When replacing clutch cable and replacing fluid just a couple hundred miles later. Fluid clear but still metal. Mechanics believe it is bearings in tranny getting ready to go. I will probably give it to them in next couple weeks to pull tranny and investigate. Probably new gears also (hey, 130k on HD tranny sounds pretty good). Not like that money was going to be doing much in bank anyways. Rebuilding tranny seems like a good investment to me.

Those are small colored rubber bands tying my mustache. Keeps it under control when riding, doesn’t hurt if it hits me....and....they hate it at work! Win, win aaand win.

The wife was using them to make bracelets with. I like the look better than black rubber bands I used a long time ago last time I wore it like this.

Lol....I thought they were beads....the bands make much more sense. Too funny and thanks for the answer. I do like the Win - Win - Win!

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kritnerjg
Back