Synthetic Oil

I just had the oil changed, valves done, etc. in the Roadhawk, and the mechaic, a guy who builds hot rod VW's was shocked that I didn't want to use sythenic,which he has used in VW engines for years. I told him the mfg. said not to, plus, I think I read it on here as well. He said he NEVER had a problem with synthetic in a hot rod VW

What's the scoop.

thanks
2 bb

ThumbUpThis subject has been argued for years-about five years ago it was proven that syn was fine for break in, as well as superior metal protection and thermal breakdown was reduced. Old school belief was that crosshatching in the cylinders was the reason to not run syn, along with bearing roll. I run synthetic in everything new or old-even my lawnmower has syn in it! We can armwrestle if you disagree:D:AGGHH::D

I just had the oil changed, valves done, etc. in the Roadhawk, and the mechaic, a guy who builds hot rod VW's was shocked that I didn't want to use sythenic,which he has used in VW engines for years. I told him the mfg. said not to, plus, I think I read it on here as well. He said he NEVER had a problem with synthetic in a hot rod VW

What's the scoop.

thanks
2 bb

While I don't have a VW trike, I have had a VW Type 181 (The Thing) since 1998. It is my daily driver and not a trailer queen. There were all kinds of dire warnings against using synthetic then as they apparently continue to this day. I've been using synthetic for 14 years with no problems, no leaks, cooler running and better gas milage. I tend to think that the warnings come from urban legends and/or ignorance perpetuated by the power of the internet.

Do it, you won't be disappointed except perhaps when you change your oil and it looks like it was never used! ThumbUp

As long as you change you oil at the rcommended time intervals, then in a "normal" engine there is little benefit of synthetic. The benefits do not show up in a significant way until you have exteme conditions. Synthetics can handle way more stress, can handle heat and cold and most any other extreme condition you can think of. If you have a hot rodded air cooled vw motor you definitely qualify as an extreme condition, with the heat and mechanical stresses. Synthetic would be a good choice.
I do not use synthetic in mine, but I change my oil a lot and it is very degraded after only a couple thousand miles.

did you ever saw heavy equipment working in the mines or in a quarry,,,,they work hard in dust , heat etc and they used mineral oil,,,,
so when you see a goldwing at 120km hrs engine is sleeping,,,,,,,

so i will say ,,change the oil as recommanded by book and sleep tight!!!!

don,t even try to burn the engine,, you can,t !!:gah::Trike1:

G-day mate here down under i use full synthetic oil in every thing
the day i put full synthetic in my vw 1600 twin port trike the motor ran quiter and cooler your motor will love you for it
have a nice day
bluey

As long as you change you oil at the rcommended time intervals, then in a "normal" engine there is little benefit of synthetic. The benefits do not show up in a significant way until you have exteme conditions. Synthetics can handle way more stress, can handle heat and cold and most any other extreme condition you can think of. If you have a hot rodded air cooled vw motor you definitely qualify as an extreme condition, with the heat and mechanical stresses. Synthetic would be a good choice.
I do not use synthetic in mine, but I change my oil a lot and it is very degraded after only a couple thousand miles.

"Extreme Conditions?" Sounds like the Cross Bronx Expressway to me. Which I travel on. Good thing I use Synthetic in most of my vehicles.:Joker3:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Delverc
Back